Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 AM

5 posts, read 38,791 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm supposed to pick someone up at BWI today and I was just wondering about the protocol for how to wait for them. I would prefer not to use the cell phone lot for a few reasons so I think that leaves my options at either waiting at the terminal or circling around. Here are my questions:

Is BWI strict when it comes to allowing people to wait in their cars by the terminal?
Can somebody explain to me how the layout is at BWI in terms of circling around? Is there a simple way to go around the terminal exits a few times or would I have to leave and re-enter the airport all over again? If someone can go into detail about this last one I would really appreciate it b/c last time I tried to circle around at BWI I somehow ended up on the highway again and had to find my way back to the airport.

Thank you all so much I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
First, it's much easier to pick up an arriving passenger at the upper level "Departures" area than at the lower level "Arrivals" area. The lower level is much more congested with buses, taxis, etc. Have the person that you're picking up go to the upper level. I find it easer to spot them if they walk as far to their left as they can, putting them where cars entering that level will be coming from.

The police won't let you wait at that level for any length of time.

If you want to circle, stay to the right as you leave the terminal upper level and follow the signs for Elm Rd., then bear left and look for the sign reading "Return to Terminal". Don't take Friendship Rd., that will put you on I-195.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
First, it's much easier to pick up an arriving passenger at the upper level "Departures" area than at the lower level "Arrivals" area. The lower level is much more congested with buses, taxis, etc. Have the person that you're picking up go to the upper level. I find it easer to spot them if they walk as far to their left as they can, putting them where cars entering that level will be coming from.

The police won't let you wait at that level for any length of time.

If you want to circle, stay to the right as you leave the terminal upper level and follow the signs for Elm Rd., then bear left and look for the sign reading "Return to Terminal". Don't take Friendship Rd., that will put you on I-195.
When you say the police won't let you wait at "that level", do you mean the upper level that your suggesting or the lower level?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikibah View Post
When you say the police won't let you wait at "that level", do you mean the upper level that your suggesting or the lower level?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

They won't let you sit in your car at the curb for any time at either level.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you not want to use the cell phone waiting area?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
My experience is they will not let you wait at either level. Why don't you want to use the Cell Phone waiting area? I've always found it convienent, safe and easy to get to the Terminal

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 AM

Somebody told me it was complicated getting in and out of the cell phone area and getting back to the terminal? You guys both just gave me feedback saying not like that so maybe I will give it a try. How do I get there? are there signs from the terminal? are there also signs directing me back to the terminal from the cell phone lot?

Thannks again!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikibah View Post
Somebody told me it was complicated getting in and out of the cell phone area and getting back to the terminal? You guys both just gave me feedback saying not like that so maybe I will give it a try. How do I get there? are there signs from the terminal? are there also signs directing me back to the terminal from the cell phone lot?

Thannks again!
I always thought it was clearly marked but I couldn't tell you the exact route from memory. I pick up someone about twice a year these days so I always just follow the signs

Old 02-18-2014, 10:43 AM

I live close enough to BWI that I haven't needed to use the cell phone area there, so I can't really tell you about that one. But I have used the one at Dulles and it was convenient. I figured that the one at BWI would be similar and was surprised that there was some reason why you wanted to avoid it. Actually, I thought that safety was going to be your concern, although I haven't heard about any incidents occurring there.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM

206 posts, read 472,452 times
Yes, just use the cell phone lot.

It's just off Terminal Rd. south of Aviation Blvd. The turn is Scott Drive and I think it's the same entrance as "Express" parking but don't hold me to that. Basically you just turn right as you come in instead of going straight into the main lot (where you'd have to pay). There's space for about 30 cars there.

It's easy to go directly to the terminals on Terminal Road. On your way in it's probably easier to get there from Aviation Blvd.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM

450 posts, read 798,283 times
Or, you could (choke!) pay to park in the hourly garage and meet your party at the baggage claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore