Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Charm City make a come back?
Yes, of course, I see it in the future. 26 45.61%
Maybe, I don't see it happening though. 15 26.32%
No, not at all. 16 28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:18 AM

20 posts, read 41,064 times

Advertisements

I wanted everyone's thoughts, can Baltimore become the city it once was before? That great city in the United States everyone wanted to visit when they had a chance? Can it gain that outstanding population back? It scares me that Baltimore once had almost up to a million people, and now have half of that. Baltimore gets downgraded on the daily basis because of all the negativity feedback people provides involving the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,381,009 times
This should be interesting! The days in which you speak of where Baltimore had over in million in population was in the 1950's. Many might say that these were Baltimore's "glory days", well I want to ask...for whom??! Was it glory and peachy for Baltimore's heavy African American population? With Baltimore's current influx of Eastern European, Ethiopian and other continental Africans, Middle Eastern and Latino families, the cultural landscape of Baltimore may change a bit, but a rise in population is something I can't forsee anytime in the near future.

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 02-23-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 AM

64 posts, read 122,423 times
When was Baltimore the "That great city in the United States everyone wanted to visit when they had a chance?" I don't recall that really ever! Baltimore had a much larger population as did many other cities. Some of them have been making significant gains in population in the last ten years, some haven't. In the most recent census data, Baltimore did have a slight increase in population. Is this a trend? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

When people visit the east coast, they head to NYC, DC, Boston. Philly and Baltimore do have a lot of tourist but nothing like the other three. I don't see that changing simply because of the dynamics.

The city it "used to be?". Study the history of Baltimore. It has always had a significant portion of the population below poverty. It has always had neglected, down-trodden neighborhoods. It does reveal a certain charm to it and that charm is no less or no more than it ever was.

By the way, I don't think Baltimore's population at near one million was "outstanding". There are many cities around the world with a million people. So why is that outstanding?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,978,803 times
I see neighborhoods in north Baltimore making a huge comeback, definitely! I don't know about the rest of the city.....might be a while.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:27 AM

757 posts, read 2,546,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMVU View Post
I wanted everyone's thoughts, can Baltimore become the city it once was before? That great city in the United States everyone wanted to visit when they had a chance? Can it gain that outstanding population back? It scares me that Baltimore once had almost up to a million people, and now have half of that. Baltimore gets downgraded on the daily basis because of all the negativity feedback people provides involving the City.
I wasn't alive back then, but I'm skeptical that Baltimore was that great city in the U.S. that everyone wanted to visit when its population was near 1 million. At that time, the city was filled with heavy industry, and the inner harbor was an area that people wanted to avoid -- not a tourist destination. Neighborhoods that are trendy today like Federal Hill, Locust Point, Fells Point, and Canton were gritty, overcrowded neighborhoods that people looked to flee from for the suburbs. Harbor East was full of dilapidated warehouses, not high-end shops.

Things may have been better in those days in some ways (less crime, more jobs, and fewer vacant houses), but I would argue that the city has actually improved in many areas. It certainly attracts more visitors than it used to. Is there room for further improvement? Definitely.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM

458 posts, read 642,877 times
Baltimore club brought the charm to charm city.
DJ boobie, K-Swift, K-Life, Blaqstarr, Big L
old school 92Q used to be the greatest station on the entire east coast back in the 90's.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,381,009 times
I LOATHE BALTIMORE CLUB MUSIC!!! Baltimore's underground house music is one thing, but Baltimore "unruly" club is some of the most ignorant, dumbest music I've ever heard. DUMB! DUMB! and more DUMB!

Greatest station on the East Coast?!!! What are you smokin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
old school 92Q used to be the greatest station on the entire east coast back in the 90's.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,220,101 times
Baltimore wasn't "Charm City" until the mid-1970's when the City Council came up with that wholly contrived, thoroughly ridiculous, and totally nauseating nickname.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,273,117 times
Charm City? I grew up in Baltimore City, and lived there from the late 1940s til about 1970 (and still have family there).

It was a good city that functioned well in those long-gone days, at least through the early-mid 1960s, but it was never particularly charming, unless you're charmed by row houses and heavy industry.

But would I rather live in the Baltimore City of the 1950s than the Baltimore City of the 2010s? You bet I would!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,364,003 times
I don't think I was around when Baltimore was this great city. Can it be again? Dunno but I do think some areas such as Canton, Harbor East and Federal Hill have made great improvements.

Now,I do remember the 90's club music on 92Q. Loooooved it! Ahhhhh, sweet memories of my high school years!

Are you the bomb? What? Are you the bomb? 'Scuse me?"

Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore