Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm visiting DC in mid April but also plan a day trip to Baltimore. I'm primarily eager to ride Baltimore's metro, both the heavy rail and light rail lines, as I am a transit fanatic. How safe is it to ride during the day? Are there any stops or neighborhoods I ought to avoid? Also, what else is there to do in Baltimore in a day? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Metro just isn't that interesting, but I would probably take it from Charles Center to Owings Mills; then on the return trip I would board the light-rail at the Metro to light-rail connecting point of State Center. From there, I would board the light-rail to Cromwell and take that line all the way through. You'll encounter many different neighborhoods. If you're truly a fanatic, then you can take the return trip all the way to Hunt Valley! Be prepared to give-up more than 3 hours.

If you're up for a bus trip, I would take #21 from end-to-end. This will truly give you a feel for the true nature of the city (i.e. extreme wealth and extreme poverty without much in between). It will take you from Harbor East, through Mount Vernon, graze Bolton Hill; experience Penn-North and on through to Sandtown and eventually end-up at Mondawmin. Don't get off the bus though and start wandering around, if you do decide to take the trip (unless you're at either end point).

I thought I was the only weird one who sometimes ride transit for no particular reason but to see different cities. Nice to know others do it too.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Ride the Water Taxi; it is the best transit in Baltimore.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Metro just isn't that interesting, but I would probably take it from Charles Center to Owings Mills; then on the return trip I would board the light-rail at the Metro to light-rail connecting point of State Center. From there, I would board the light-rail to Cromwell and take that line all the way through. You'll encounter many different neighborhoods. If you're truly a fanatic, then you can take the return trip all the way to Hunt Valley! Be prepared to give-up more than 3 hours.

If you're up for a bus trip, I would take #21 from end-to-end. This will truly give you a feel for the true nature of the city (i.e. extreme wealth and extreme poverty without much in between). It will take you from Harbor East, through Mount Vernon, graze Bolton Hill; experience Penn-North and on through to Sandtown and eventually end-up at Mondawmin. Don't get off the bus though and start wandering around, if you do decide to take the trip (unless you're at either end point).

I thought I was the only weird one who sometimes ride transit for no particular reason but to see different cities. Nice to know others do it too.
No, there are a few of us who do it too. Actually a group of transit fans I knew headed to Baltimore and DC last year to check out their respective systems. That reminded me I have to check out the one remaining subway system in the Northeast that I haven't ridden on yet and that is Baltimore. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out a few maps to see where I'm going.

Is there anything else to see or do in Baltimore in quick time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore