Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times

Advertisements

They sell drugs right outside the police substation near the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:28 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,934 times
But, at least there are elephants once a year.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
About that area, on my upcoming trip to Baltimore (which I am so determined to make because I really want to ride the last Metro system in the Northeast I have not ridden and visit Geppi's Entertainment Museum), is it safe to at least walk back and forth between the heavy rail Metro and the light rail? Can I do it alone or should I really convince a few of my DC friends to tag along for the trip?

I took a look at Google Maps and sure enough the area around the Lexington Market looks sketchy but I am not entirely put off by that having seen similar places in Boston such as Dudley Square or Mattapan Square. It kind of looks like Fulton Street, Brooklyn or Downtown Newark (Newark is the scariest major city I've been to so far but I've been there no less than four times). Is that part of Baltimore really that bad or is it just like any other poorer part of anyone's downtown?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Is that part of Baltimore really that bad or is it just like any other poorer part of anyone's downtown?

Both. It is the poorer part of Baltimore's downtown, but what makes it so bad is that there are so few police, and those police on patrol do not crack down and enforce the law like they do in other cities.

When you visit Baltimore, do not jaywalk. You WILL get a ticket in Baltimore for jaywalking. Remember, drug dealing and aggressive panhandling is ok, jaywalking is out. (And the fools in city hall wonder why they can't keep businesses, residents, and tourists in this city. Go figure.)

Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 AM

556 posts, read 946,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
When you visit Baltimore, do not jaywalk. You WILL get a ticket in Baltimore for jaywalking. Remember, drug dealing and aggressive panhandling is ok, jaywalking is out. (And the fools in city hall wonder why they can't keep businesses, residents, and tourists in this city. Go figure.)
Wait, what? I jaywalk all. the. time. Sometimes right in front of the police. Haven't had a ticket, and haven't seen them ticket anyone else. I was under the impression that they really didn't care as long as your didn't obstruct vehicular traffic.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Wait, what? I jaywalk all. the. time. Sometimes right in front of the police. Haven't had a ticket, and haven't seen them ticket anyone else. I was under the impression that they really didn't care as long as your didn't obstruct vehicular traffic.
Seconded. Not only do I jaywalk all the time (I make sure there are no cars coming though), pedestrians constantly walk right in front of my car without a care in the world and take their sweet time crossing the road. I have never witnessed anyone getting a jaywalking ticket.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
About that area, on my upcoming trip to Baltimore (which I am so determined to make because I really want to ride the last Metro system in the Northeast I have not ridden and visit Geppi's Entertainment Museum), is it safe to at least walk back and forth between the heavy rail Metro and the light rail? Can I do it alone or should I really convince a few of my DC friends to tag along for the trip?

I took a look at Google Maps and sure enough the area around the Lexington Market looks sketchy but I am not entirely put off by that having seen similar places in Boston such as Dudley Square or Mattapan Square. It kind of looks like Fulton Street, Brooklyn or Downtown Newark (Newark is the scariest major city I've been to so far but I've been there no less than four times). Is that part of Baltimore really that bad or is it just like any other poorer part of anyone's downtown?
You won't get robbed there especially if you go in daylight. But someone will try to sell you drugs if you make eye contact and you will likely see a junkie or two outside.

It is exactly like Fulton Street (or Flatbush Avenue or Pitkin Avene) in Brooklyn, but they actually let people stand in front of stores selling dope and the crackheads lay around sleeping. Well here it's more likely to be heroin addicts, but you get the idea. Heh.

If you don't walk around looking scared you'll be fine.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie woof View Post
Baltimore fetishizes poverty and finds junkies and winos "charming."
I see little hope for Lexington Market.
Wish I had said that. Good succinct post.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
You won't get robbed there especially if you go in daylight. But someone will try to sell you drugs if you make eye contact and you will likely see a junkie or two outside.

It is exactly like Fulton Street (or Flatbush Avenue or Pitkin Avene) in Brooklyn, but they actually let people stand in front of stores selling dope and the crackheads lay around sleeping. Well here it's more likely to be heroin addicts, but you get the idea. Heh.

If you don't walk around looking scared you'll be fine.
That sounds a lot better. I didn't feel scared or threatened at all when I happened upon Fulton Street two years ago even though I was one of the few non-Blacks on the street. The place was so lively and bustling that it actually felt kind of welcoming. It's what Boston's Dudley Square in the Roxbury neighborhood strives to be but hasn't quite gotten there yet. Well, I hope I get the same feeling when I visit Baltimore. I'd like to stop by at Lexington Market to at least grab lunch but I might not have the time to unfortunately with everything else I plan to do in a day. My primary purpose of going in that vicinity is to ride both metro rail lines, the heavy rail and the light rail after visiting Geppi's Museum. Too bad the last MARC train heading back to DC on a Sunday leaves at 5:30pm or else I would plan to stay longer in Baltimore.

Thanks anyway for the insight Tinawina!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Both. It is the poorer part of Baltimore's downtown, but what makes it so bad is that there are so few police, and those police on patrol do not crack down and enforce the law like they do in other cities.

I'll keep that in mind. I actually seldom jaywalk in Boston anymore even though it's no big deal up here. It's not a safe thing to do anyways and it's usually young impatient teenagers that I see doing it up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore