Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:31 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Baltimore City gubment is NOT to bright!
The problem is they do development based in politics. Either for the gain of having a favored developer donate to their political campaigned or in the form of a half cocked development scheme to pacify disenfranchised residents of a targeted area so that they have something to point to during the next election cycle. Even if the development is well intentioned it is void of sound economic principles and sometimes common sense which ends up being a "throwaway" and benefits no one least of all the new residents. One thing I did like about Warnock ,though it could have been political BS too, was trying to find a way to leverage development by getting developer who were benefiting from city tax breaks on one side of town to invest in another section of town. Absent of any details. If there "other" areas were adjacent to already thriving areas i.e. North of Patterson Park ,Res Hill ,Union Square ,Barclay , old Goucher etc These are transitional areas that could use a boost and are one step away from being regional market choices for potential residents. Instead the city common practice is to redirect to Park Heights or Poppleton where the results are overshadowed by the problems. I think about all those new sidewalks in park heights and nobody around to walk on them Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
Quote:
void of sound economic principles and sometimes common sense which ends up being a "throwaway" and benefits no one least of all the new residents.
It's cyclical! This behavior is backwards, archaic and draconian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The problem is they do development based in politics. Either for the gain of having a favored developer donate to their political campaigned or in the form of a half cocked development scheme to pacify disenfranchised residents of a targeted area so that they have something to point to during the next election cycle. Even if the development is well intentioned it is void of sound economic principles and sometimes common sense which ends up being a "throwaway" and benefits no one least of all the new residents. One thing I did like about Warnock ,though it could have been political BS too, was trying to find a way to leverage development by getting developer who were benefiting from city tax breaks on one side of town to invest in another section of town. Absent of any details. If there "other" areas were adjacent to already thriving areas i.e. North of Patterson Park ,Res Hill ,Union Square ,Barclay , old Goucher etc These are transitional areas that could use a boost and are one step away from being regional market choices for potential residents. Instead the city common practice is to redirect to Park Heights or Poppleton where the results are overshadowed by the problems. I think about all those new sidewalks in park heights and nobody around to walk on them Smh

Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
It's cyclical! This behavior is backwards, archaic and draconian.

Pimlico is part of an 18 month $180k study to determine whether they should fix it up or move it. Blogs around town are debating whether the fix is in since "study" could recommend it move to Laurel Park or even down to Westport. I am not a native though I can understand the importance of Preakness and the history of Pimlico.. The challenge here is Park Heights is a drag on Pimlico and visa versa. No one is going to go and recreate at Pimlico because of the area its in AND the fact that outside of Preakness no one goes there. The fact that no one goes there, outside of Preakness, then leaves the other 364 days in the year where it sits empty or nearly empty being a huge VOID in an area that needs an anchor as opposed to a void.

If the site was redeveloped like Garden State Racetrack in New Jersey into a mixed use community with retail and housing coupled with expansion of office via Sinai.. that could change the direction of the intersection of Belverdere and Park Heights Ave and also increase interest in the 100 so lots around PH Ave and Garrison that are being offered as part of a infill RFP by the City. Absent that.. who is going to invest in substantial amount of money in the area?

http://www.gardenstatepark.net/retail/community.php

I would almost rather see the city invest a percentage of the TIF that Port Covington is requesting in Pimlico.. its an area that needs a "game changer" since the game that is currently being played aint working....Again, it needs to make economic sense and may not be able to be built all at once.. But with solid neighborhoods to the north and east of the site.. there is potential...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: