Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM

35 posts, read 44,006 times

Advertisements

You can enter enter a charter school after moving to a neighborhood, but it becomes much harder, since most spots are available at the kindergarten level when most kids first matriculate, and you most likely couldn't do that until the following school year. There are a couple exceptions, like Hampstead Hill Academy and Wolfe Street Academy, which both accept all kids within the attendance zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 27,200 times
Thank you lumilintu. That is great information.

Looking at Canton/Fells Point, I am having trouble finding reasonable sized (1000+ sqft) 2B/2B apartment with parking for under 2K. So we are considering expanding our search to 15 min radius from Johns Hopkins

One area we are considering is the triangle between University Pkwy, St Paul St and W 38 St. There seems to be a JHMI shuttle stop there. It is with in Roland Park Elementary Zone and drive should be around 15 min. The area seems to be safe.

JHMI shuttle seems like a great option for us. If we can live close to its stop, we can get by with 1 car and my wife doesn't need to drive everyday.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 AM

102 posts, read 178,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msr999 View Post

Looking at Canton/Fells Point, I am having trouble finding reasonable sized (1000+ sqft) 2B/2B apartment with parking for under 2K. So we are considering expanding our search to 15 min radius from Johns Hopkins

One area we are considering is the triangle between University Pkwy, St Paul St and W 38 St. There seems to be a JHMI shuttle stop there. It is with in Roland Park Elementary Zone and drive should be around 15 min. The area seems to be safe.

JHMI shuttle seems like a great option for us. If we can live close to its stop, we can get by with 1 car and my wife doesn't need to drive everyday.

Thanks

Large 2B/2B w parking in Fells/Canton under 2K: I agree, very difficult. A hidden gem pops on craigslist sometimes. Keep looking.

University/St,Paul/38: Yes good area. I wouldn't put it in the "15 minus radius" though. Make it 20-30 depending on traffic and roadworks. It also depends on whether you commute at rush hour or not. Outside of rush hour 15 minutes is definitely possible.

Safe: Yes.

Have you considered Patterson Park/Place? There could be some options in your range but it's more a residential area, not like canton, Fells or Charles Village that have a significant commercial activity.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msr999 View Post

Thanks

If you can find anything in the triangle area that you mention above, grab it, downsize to one car, and use the JHMI shuttle. Don't worry about how long the drive takes; depend on the shuttle. You won't regret it. If you have trouble finding what you want in that triangle area, you can expand your search in that same general area to anything north of 33rd Street, west of St Paul Street, south of Cold Spring Lane, and east of Roland Avenue, keeping in mind where the shuttle stops.

In addition I will echo what 2good said above about sending your kid to public schools (yes, even Roland Park elementary). However, unlike 2good, I will keep race out of this discussion because it is not relevant. Some of the worst students, teachers, and administrators in Baltimore City Public Schools are white. Send your kids to private schools. Again, you won't regret it.

I don't know how often you have been here, or if you have ever been, but you really need to take some time to come to see Baltimore for yourself and pick out a place you will like.

Last edited by james777; 05-13-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Thanks LouisDS and James777.

Haven't considered Patterson Park area mostly because my impression was the area is not very safe (not bad but not good either). I might be wrong though. I will look more.

Never been to Baltimore. Visiting this weekend to look around for places and some schools. We are primarily looking at private school options. If we can get rid of 1 car and move little out then we would be in good shape for private schools. Otherwise it will be tight but nothing is more important. This forum has been great helping us. We appreciate all your time and suggestions.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Yes, that triangle area (Tuscany-Canterbury) is nice, mostly apartment buildings, and access to the shuttle would be great for you. Also like at Keswick next door. I disagree with those above who say you should only consider private schools. There are some great public options.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks limilintu.

Does anyone know good private schools in Tuscany-Canterbury area? One school limintu recommended (GreenMount) isn't accepting any more kindergarten applications.

There seems to be JHMI shuttle to Keswick area. So I am also trying to see if I can find any housing there.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Yes, the Calvert School is in the Tuscany-Canterbury area. You might find that all admissions deadlines have passed, but perhaps you'll find a school not yet at capacity for kindergarten if you do decide to go private.

If you're interested in Catholic Schools, St. Thomas Aquinas is not far away and seems to be well liked.

Last edited by lumilintu; 05-14-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks lumilintu. Calvert is out of my range. It costs close to 19K (once you select after care program). I prefer not to send to religious schools though I am not against it if the school is good. I will definitely look into St. Thomas Aquinas. Thank you.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Look at the Wilkes School in Mt. Vernon (Episcopal): $13,500 w/ before and after care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore