Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:59 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times

Advertisements

Now that we know opting out of getting a BGE Smart Meter will cost an initial $75 -- AND an $11.00 monthly fee added to your bill.....

.....will you still opt out?

I still haven't decided.
I suppose those of us who don't want the meter have our reasons....health concerns about RF, just not wanting to 'fix something that's not broken," or just don't even want one and you don't even have a reason.

The question is will you bite the bullet and PAY to opt out. Or give in, suck it up.....and pay $75, plus the $11.00 a month?

I honestly don't know which I'll do yet. I don't want a smart meter. But I also REALLY don't want to pay 11.00 a month either.

What have you decided?

(This really isn't JUST a Baltimore issue)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
I am opting out and paying....so are most of my neighbors.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
They have to get in to install it. What happens if you don't let them in? Does BGE charge you automatically after a certain date? How about if they charge you and later you decide to opt in, do you get your $75 back?

There is a Maryland politician who is suing BGE for a billion dollars over these smart meters, claiming they are illegal. You will never hear about his lawsuit because he is not a democratic politician destined to win. Those are the only politicians that the media in this state gives the time of day to. You know how far that lawsuit is going to get; BGE will win because Maryland has the best judges money can buy.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
So are you opting out or not?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 PM

I haven't decided yet. Right now I am just not going to let them in and see what happens.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I haven't decided yet. Right now I am just not going to let them in and see what happens.
"In" to what? Is your meter inside your house?

If it's outside BGE employees, or its subcontractors, have an easement, part of your service agreement, to enter your property in order to replace, service or maintain their property.

If the meter is on the outside plan on staying home for awhile and keeping watch, the replacements are done during the day and take about 4 minutes so you'll have to stay vigilant.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM

The meter is inside my house. I received a card at the door stating that a subcontractor for BGE was there to install a smart meter, but no one was home. So if no one is home to let them in, I imagine they would just bill me the fee for not having a smart meter after a certain date. We will wait and see.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Yall need to be doing research into smart meters and see why people find them so controversial. Dont do it because the power company tells you to.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
Pardon me for being cynical, but do you really and truly think that BGE (whose parent company most obviously has our State Legislature firmly under its thumb) is not going to be charging you substantially more for that "smart meter" installation and service at some point (and very likewise in perpetuity) whether you have it installed or not? Sucker...!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,521 times
I'm not. These are not cell phones where people are irrationally afraid of the physics of how the devices operate.

I made my feelings clear on another post, I think good, safe smart meters can be designed and implemented but I do not believe these are it.

There is no transparency into how they are built, how they are tested, or how they perform. It's the only electronic device in my home which is on 24-7 where this is the case I can think of.

The reality, however, is if BGE gets to collect a fee, why should they care whether you opt in or out. Until people start getting sick, until there's a few home fires which right or wrong are attributed to smart meters, or until they're hacked the reality is there's nothing you can do about it except decide which way you'd like for BGE to insert a large object forcibly into your most private nether regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore