Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM

673 posts, read 1,190,194 times

Advertisements

Heroin overdoses particularly in Northern and Southern Anne Arundel county have been sky rocketing due to the heroin trafficking in the city. Opinions on this issue?

Anne Arundel County police to carry overdose antidote Narcan | Maryland News - WBAL Home

Police chief: Heroin problem is 'all over Anne Arundel County' - CapitalGazette.com: For The Record

Anne Arundel County hits heroin use hard - WTOP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,440,047 times
Business as usual! Heroin trafficking is very old news in Baltimore.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Not only Anne Arundel but Southern Maryland, too.

A story from where I grew up so it's not just here:

18 Charged in Jefferson County Drug Sting :: exploreClarion.com

Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,536,421 times
There has been plenty of heroin use in AA county for several decades. It's not like heroin was only consumed by people in Baltimore. Now folks don't have to go so far to get it.

Basically the story here is heroin is coming back, and everywhere. Folks of all stripes get addicted to pills, they become less effective and very expensive, and soon it just becomes way cheaper to feed the addiction with heroin.

I think opiate addiction is going to be one of the biggest issues of the next decade, and we have to start thinking BIG about getting people clean. We can't incarcerate everyone and it's very ineffective for this type of thing anyway.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:58 PM

7,044 posts, read 11,344,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
There has been plenty of heroin use in AA county for several decades. It's not like heroin was only consumed by people in Baltimore. Now folks don't have to go so far to get it.

Basically the story here is heroin is coming back, and everywhere. Folks of all stripes get addicted to pills, they become less effective and very expensive, and soon it just becomes way cheaper to feed the addiction with heroin.

I think opiate addiction is going to be one of the biggest issues of the next decade, and we have to start thinking BIG about getting people clean. We can't incarcerate everyone and it's very ineffective for this type of thing anyway.
The situation reminds me of Prohibition. The illegal stuff was much more likely to kill, blind, and harm than the legal stuff. I am not "for" abuse of prescription meds, but man, it is a heck of a lot safer to know what you are getting and dose yourself appropriately than relying on street smack.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 AM

34,122 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The situation reminds me of Prohibition.
The illegal stuff was much more likely to kill, blind, and harm than the legal stuff.

I am not "for" abuse of prescription meds, but man, it is a heck of a lot safer
to know what you are getting and dose yourself appropriately than relying on street smack.
Heroin is easier to get, costs less and is supposed to be better too.

Re-legalize all natural state.
Re-medicalize the pharmaceuticals (and synthetics).

Addiction is a medical and social welfare issue.
Nothing is gained by anyone involved having criminality attached.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The situation reminds me of Prohibition. The illegal stuff was much more likely to kill, blind, and harm than the legal stuff. I am not "for" abuse of prescription meds, but man, it is a heck of a lot safer to know what you are getting and dose yourself appropriately than relying on street smack.
It's all a matter of what one can afford.

Problem is, those scrips are expensive, and as each week passes that you are addicted, your body requires more and more just to function. Even if you can find a doctor to prescribe the amount your body physically needs to function, many cant afford it, especially those without prescription coverage.

So you've now sold all your stuff, drained your 401k etc, probably lost your job, doc won't prescribe you any more pills, and you've got $5. That'll won't get you more than one or two small-dose pain pill, but you can buy enough heroin for the day (at first).

This is the same old story, and it happens to all kinds of people.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,460,303 times
I have an old friend whose wife of 20 years was injured on the job, had back surgery, has titanium screws & rods in her spine and grows scar tissue very quickly andpainfully around the site. She is fully disabled and on pain management - nothing will change this basic fact. With the govt cracking down on the abuse of pain pills, folks who legitimately need and use these are being persecuted as prescriptions are harder to get and much more expensive to fill. So govt's unintended consequences once again make a mess.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 AM

So long as our govt is only interested in the bootstraps or jail approach, the above will continue

And if you're friends mom was poor she would be on heroin and the world would see her in a much different light

Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 AM

29 posts, read 82,934 times
from personal experience i know that the rise of suburban heroin is from price and lack of avaibilty of pain pills. A perc 30 goes for 25-30$ and you have to know someone to get it, once you switch to dope you can just drive to any corner in south east or west baltimore and you can get a better high for 10$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore