Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 AM

11 posts, read 39,145 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Baltimore for work at a museum there, I have a masters in American history and am a disabled veteran (Baltimore having a VA hospital is great news for me) at 31. The job would likely pay 40k ish. I am also an avid fly fisherman so is Baltimore in close proximity to any good fishing opportunities? I am somewhat concerned about the higher crime rate in Baltimore compared to Winston, as well as the strict anti-gun laws of the State. Here in NC I have a Concealed Carry Permit so that I can keep a pistol in my Jeep, doing so in Baltimore would be extremely frowned upon. This job seems like something that I would really enjoy, I am just not accustomed to a city lifestyle. And, being single at 31 makes me wonder if there are good looking single ladies in the Baltimore area. Also, what would I be looking at for a small but nice apartment (in a nice part of the city) moneywise and having a dog would that limit my chances of finding a good place to live?

So, just to get some opinions, what do you think? Would it be a good move to take a decent paying job and live in Baltimore?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiepoo View Post
winston salem, NC to Baltimore..... good idea?
I did the reverse but as with all moves..
It's all about the why and how.
Quote:
I may be moving to Baltimore for work at a museum there...
The job would likely pay 40k ish.
That's step #1. Knowing you have a stable source of adequate income.
$40K is adequate for a single in the B'more area.

Quote:
I am also an avid fly fisherman so is Baltimore in close proximity to any good fishing opportunities?
Some. And more farther away.
Check with your fishing forums for real detail.

Quote:
This job seems like something that I would really enjoy, I am just not accustomed to a city lifestyle.
You aren't required to live in the City.

Quote:
And, being single at 31 makes me wonder if there are good looking single ladies in the Baltimore area. Also, what would I be looking at for a small but nice apartment (in a nice part of the city) moneywise and having a dog would that limit my chances of finding a good place to live?
In all these things... look to SHARE someone else home for the first year.
Make some friends and then look for your own

Quote:
I am somewhat concerned about the higher crime rate in Baltimore...
Unless your circulating within that world or are just dumb about common sense things...

Quote:
Here in NC I have a Concealed Carry Permit so that I can keep a pistol in my Jeep...
Aside from the ego stroke do you have any actual need for that gun in Winston?
Well, you won't have any actual need for it in B'more either.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
I say yeah it's a great idea and career move. Leave the gun at home.

I thought fly fishing was done in rivers....but my only knowledgebase comes from that movie with Brad Pitt, A River Runs Through It.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I thought fly fishing was done in rivers....but my only knowledgebase comes from that movie with Brad Pitt, A River Runs Through It.
The Gunpowder River in northern Baltimore County is supposed to be good for fly fishing. Check the Backwater Angler in Monkton.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
OK, somebody has to say it, so I will go first.

Have you spent any time in Baltimore? If not, I urge you to visit extensively before making your move. Check out some of the neighborhoods near the museum. See if you think that you would like living there. If not, find a place that you might like and check out the commute.

I think that you will be miserable. Believe me, compared to Winston-Salem, Baltimore is chock full of a different kind of a cat living a different kind of a life in a different kind of a place.

As someone else mentioned -- leave the gun home, as you will be sorely tempted to use it in Baltimore, which will complicate your life no end . . .

Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM

190 posts, read 276,128 times
I think this should be interesting.

I'm from Durham, NC but I've lived on the Great Lakes, off the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf. I'm moving to Baltimore soon and here's why:

It's the most Northern city I think I would still enjoy living in. There is a distinct culture and layout in historic Northern cities. I don't like living in mega-cities. I feel like it's too easy to get lost in them. NYC has too many people like stated, and it's too expensive. Boston is too cold and I don't like the culture there. Chicago also has too many people, it's a massive sprawl, and the weather absolutely stinks. DC is my least favorite city in the entire world and I think it's a wasteland. The quadrant city layout is the most ridiculous thing ever. I'm not a suit and I can't stand the government either... I've never been to Philly so I can't speak on that, but Baltimore is just 'right'. It's distinctly different from any other city in the South but the weather isn't too cold for me, and there's room for space & growth so you're not crawling on top of other people. It doesn't (always) have that chip-on-the-shoulder, in-your-face, speed-walking type culture that can be found in the Northeast but still offers that city lifestyle that you just can't find here in North Carolina. It's also not absurdly expensive to live in.

I've spent a good amount of time in Baltimore over the years though and some of my family is from there, so that plays into it as well. If you've never been, you probably should visit before making the leap. I think there's a lot of beauty in the city and I think it desperately needs good people to move there. It's been in a recession for generations now so to say that it's up-and-coming is a little bold -- and crazy -- of a statement to make, but there is room for growth. There are better job opportunities in my field there than here in NC. I don't mind having roommates and I'm young & unattached. The way I see it is why not?

A lot of folks, especially up North, tend to view North Carolina as some sort of promised land. The weather is good, low crime, cost of living (especially in the past) is low, and there are a good amount of jobs. That's all true, but if you're from here, it can get a little boring. Different can be good, even if you do have to deal with some of the negatives of an urban environment. I personally would never live out in the county because that would make the experience pointless, but that's how I view it. If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it.

My two cents. From lurking on this board I remember reading someone saying they moved from Carrboro. Perhaps they can chime in on how their experience has been.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 PM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
^^ Pretty sure that was me I moved here from Carrboro 9 months ago, and really like Baltimore so far. If you are at all familiar with Durham, I would describe Baltimore as a larger version of Durham - many of the same problems, but also many of the same positive things going on. Similar industrial past, and similar medicine/technology renaissance in recent years. Lots of great food, and interesting art and music scene. Now that the weather is warming up, it seems like there is always some festival or market happening. Baltimore is an odd mix of Southern and Northern. From my perspective as a Southern, I'm definitely not in the South anymore, but from experience spending a fair amount of time in NYC, Boston and Philadelphia, Baltimore is truly Northern either. If just is what it is. Charmingly dysfunctional.

With that said, I can see how/why some people would not be happy here. I always wanted to live a more urban lifestyle, so the move was great for me. If you don't want the city life, you should definitely consider some of the nicer suburbs. As for concealed carry, Baltimore is absolutely not a city where you can leave a gun in your vehicle. It generally a terrible idea from a gun safety standpoint anyway, and in Baltimore the gun will almost certainly get stolen eventually. If you honestly feel the need to carry in Winston, I wonder how comfortable you would feel in Baltimore. Then again, I'm a 31 year old woman living alone in downtown Baltimore, and I haven't felt threatened in any way in the past 9 months. But, I'm also well aware of my surroundings and am generally street smart (no talking on the phone or wearing ear bus while walking, no walking alone at night, etc...).

As for dating, from the 30-something woman's perspective, it kind of sucks. As far as I can tell, there are far more women with higher education in this city than men. I guess that means it's a pretty great deal for the guys...

I don't want to be too discouraging. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. By all means, come spend a few days and get a feel for the city. You might be surprised. It's a pretty cool city from a history geek perspective, especially with with Star Spangled Banner bicentennial celebrations coming up.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 39,145 times
Default Thank you all for the great info

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you to everyone for the great advice and information. The more I hear the more I like the idea of Baltimore and the opportunities of the surrounding areas.

Thank you all for your input.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 PM

190 posts, read 276,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
From my perspective as a Southern, I'm definitely not in the South anymore, but from experience spending a fair amount of time in NYC, Boston and Philadelphia, Baltimore is truly Northern either. If just is what it is. Charmingly dysfunctional.
It's funny how different the two cultures view what 'urban' is. In the South, a city is a place with a decent sized 'downtown', some neighborhoods that we view as being dense and not cookie-cutter, and a working public transportation system - no matter the quality. I can't think of any cities in the South - and I lived in New Orleans - that have the kind of infrastructure and density like NYC, parts of NJ, Boston, DC, Philly and Baltimore (and before anyone flips, I'm not claiming that Baltimore has stellar public transportation system... but by Southern standards.. )

I guess that's also true of most of the country though. For me, that's one of the appeals of living in a larger, East coast city.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
No.
I'm from the deep south myself. Baltimore is not like down home.
You will not get a concealed carry permit, period. Unless you are a cop, it is very hard to own a handgun here (legally). All of the criminals, and wannabe criminals have guns. Go figure.
Unless you have a boat, fishing is surprisingly difficult here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay.
The crime rate will exceed anything you could possibly imagine in Winston.
The COL will be easily twice what you are used to.
Women? Easiest you will find anywhere.
This is from a guy who really likes Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: