Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,477,330 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea why this is being introduced in the Baltimore Sun newspaper and not by direct contact with homeowners?

City asks residents to buy insurance for water meter overhaul - baltimoresun.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Homeowner insurance should cover sewer, drain and backup. Is there something I'm not understanding? Why would homeowners purchase additional insurance if their homeowners insurance already covers this?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Homeowner insurance should cover sewer, drain and backup. Is there something I'm not understanding? Why would homeowners purchase additional insurance if their homeowners insurance already covers this?
I don't quite understand it either. However, when I lived in Edmondson Heights a neighbor said that some basements were flooded when the City did water repairs, messed up and caused water to back up into the basements. The neighbor said his homeowners' insurance did not cover it because it was "flooding". Supposedly the Federal flood insurance would have covered it. It was gross negligence on the city's part, but the neighbor was stuck with the damage caused by 2 feet of sewage in the basement. My house's walls also showed the effects and I had to replace moldy timbers and panelling.

The City seems to be offering cheap flood insurance, and I would take it if I determined that my homeowners' did not cover it.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:24 PM

44,925 posts, read 59,916,725 times
Most homeowner's policies don't cover back up from sewers, either sanitary or storm water, as a general coverage. You usually have to get a rider on your policy.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 PM

I guess I am fortunate that my homeowners covers it. Flood insurance is separate but I don't think this is flood insurance, this is insurance supposedly for any damage that may occur if water pipes break during the update of the water meters throughout the city. This 'update' is suppose to correct the incorrect 'water meter readings' that have been problematic. But this all just doesn't sound right.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
This 'update' is suppose to correct the incorrect 'water meter readings' that have been problematic. But this all just doesn't sound right.
FWIW, I had one incorrect water meter reading. I think the old-fashioned methods are responsible. In my row-house neighborhood, there were two meters in each compartment. The guy reading has to unscrew the cover of the compartment, flash his wand over both meters and close the compartment. I think mine was wrong because the guy read the same meter twice. The neighbor had a swimming pool, so of course their consumption was higher. The one month I got a $200 bill, I protested, and had them re-do a correct reading.

So I hope they are replacing the meters with fully electronic ones that report their readings. I agree it doesn't sound fair to force homeowners to pay for insurance against their screw-ups. But I am glad they are trying to correct problems.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,459,440 times
I'd love to see the loss ratios on this insurance pool in two years. Smh. That being said, I might actually sign-up for the peace-of-mind.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 PM

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2014/0...sewer-repairs/

good story on the insurance. actually not being forced but homeowners have an option to get it.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2014/0...sewer-repairs/

good story on the insurance. actually not being forced but homeowners have an option to get it.
I agree it is a good factual story. However it still sound like it only protects against pipe breakage, not other kinds of problems. I am not sure that's enough.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
The cleanout in front of my house is 25ft away from the water meter. This 25 ft is owned by the City. I presume that the cost of any breakage within the 25ft would be City responsibility. I'm wondering if it is possible for something to go wrong within the remaining 11 ft up to my house which would be my responsibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: