Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,244 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a recently separated professional male and I'm thinking about moving into the city because there's a lot more happening there. I want to be close to 83 and I'm looking for a 2BR in the $1300-1500 range. I don't mind a nicely appointed place in a not so nice neighborhood, but I have an 11 year old daughter who will stay with me sometimes and I know my ex will be critical of the neighborhood I choose. I have considered the following:

- Reservoir Hill - found some great places but the neighborhood seems a bit too sketchy for my tastes.
- Remington - same as Reservoir Hill
- Bolton Hill - my top choice but can't find as nice a place as I want in my price range
- Hampden - Haven't looked at anything but I would consider it
- Charles Village - not sure exactly where it even is, but there are some great but too expensive places on Charles and St. Paul streets
- Mount Vernon - focusing my efforts here now. I found a place on W. Monument directly across from the MD Historical Society. It's very nice, small 2BR, fits my needs, has a gated entrance, but I don't know what the neighborhood is like, especially at night. Is this a safe area? It's right near the light rail on Howard Street and looks like the area goes downhill very fast within a block or two.

Any other areas I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:31 PM

280 posts, read 674,658 times
How about Mt. Washington?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
How about Mt. Washington?
Mt. Washington is a definite possibility. I just can't find anything available. Maybe out of my price range?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:59 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
To ease your doubts, Mount Vernon is very safe. And if part of your motivation in moving to the city is that there is "more happening" here, then it's definitely a good neighborhood to be. It's the cultural center of Baltimore and has an abundance of restaurants and nightlife.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:03 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
You sound like a prime candidate for Mt Vernon. Hampden could work if you consider yourself artsy/hipsterish. Both are cool places for a single adult male to live and socialize, and there would be lots to occupy a tween (and future teen) nearby. Both are pretty safe.

Charles Village is a bit heavy on the college students so I don't know if that woudl be your speed.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Thanks for that. I see that Mount Vernon in general is safe, but is W. Monument and Howard considered a "fringe" area and not as safe? Maybe I need to go there at night and see what it would be like walking home in the dark say after 9 or 10pm.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore New B View Post
Thanks for that. I see that Mount Vernon in general is safe, but is W. Monument and Howard considered a "fringe" area and not as safe? Maybe I need to go there at night and see what it would be like walking home in the dark say after 9 or 10pm.
I think that corner is pushing the boundary a bit but you would have to ask someone who lives around there how it really is I think. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore New B View Post
It is close (a couple of blocks) away from the boundary between Mount Vernon and Seton Hill. My roommate and I looked at a complex just to the west of there (Chesapeake Commons) and while we found the apartments to be very nice, we were uncomfortable with the area. Right around the light rail station is a little sketchy. But, we are also 20-something single white females and a guy might feel a little differently. But again, it was just on the border and you are a little more east and I'd be inclined to say that's fine. It would be prudent to walk around though and see how you feel, in my opinion.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
Keep looking in Bolton Hill on craiglists for a place because your budget seems find. I rented my 2 Br for $1350 with cable/internet/heat and I think it's nice. This seems to be the going rate:

baltimore apts/housing for rent classifieds "bolton hill" - craigslist

Fantastic beautiful large 2-3 bedroom duplex close to MICA

I did have friends in Seton Hill and they had a breakin. They decided to move to Remington and haven't heard any complaints so far but it's sketchy in my opinion.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM

113 posts, read 337,110 times
I lived on west monument, 300 block back in 08 and my roommate's car in the lot was broken into 3x in the same year. I commuted back and forth so I wasn't always around. I worked at the hospital about 8blocks away and it was "ok" walking home around 9pm but I didn't feel comfortable. Now this is coming from someone who had walked in center city philadelphia at all times of of the nights between 7-6am. And i've walked home from jefferson hospital to my home at midnight several times without even thinking twice. There was one night when I was coming home the police had raided a bunch of characters on center st near cathedral. I must say i did not meet any sketchy characters and netiher did i have anyone solicity anything. So it's fairly decent. It was quite quiet for me considering where I had moved from.

On the bright side, it's easier to catch the light rail to the airport, and there's usually something going around the monument. Plus, a good mix of restaurants that way and you can walk to places downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: