Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,498,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
What area can I ask?
The new one will be at 25th Street near Greenmount. The other clinics are at Maryland between 21st and 22nd and at Charles and 23rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 AM

389 posts, read 423,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
The new one will be at 25th Street near Greenmount. The other clinics are at Maryland between 21st and 22nd and at Charles and 23rd.
My hair salon is on Charles & 22nd. There are some creepy individuals in that area. Even more creepy then the recovering drug addicts at Baltimore Behavioral Health.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 AM

8,150 posts, read 13,212,823 times
SMH... It doesnt surprise me.. This coincides with the efforts to rebrand Lexington Market.. There will likely be more clinics being placed in Station North and down in Pigtown. I guess they feel that the artists, musicians, and bohemians that live in Station North are more open to allowing clinic users to live/dwell among them.. I guess it adds to the "street theatre" that gives the area is ecclectic vibe

Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,446,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
SMH... It doesnt surprise me.. This coincides with the efforts to rebrand Lexington Market.. There will likely be more clinics being placed in Station North and down in Pigtown. I guess they feel that the artists, musicians, and bohemians that live in Station North are more open to allowing clinic users to live/dwell among them.. I guess it adds to the "street theatre" that gives the area is ecclectic vibe
25th and Greenmount is north of Station North, kinda south of Waverly, not a good area as it is now, not far from the shuttered up Yau Brothers Chinese carryout, scene of a few shootings etc - just saying.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,460,919 times
I am of mixed feelings about this, but I think I'm leaning more towards: spreading the wealth. Why should one poor guy have all the clinics in his own back yard. If this is a city problem, then it should truly be a citywide burden. Perhaps then will it become a problem to so many people, we come up with real solutions to deal with the underlying issues that give rise to the need for such facilities.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
25th and Greenmount is north of Station North, kinda south of Waverly, not a good area as it is now, not far from the shuttered up Yau Brothers Chinese carryout, scene of a few shootings etc - just saying.
This is sort of true except that the clinic is on 25th street and Yau Brothers is almost five blocks away. Once you go a half block west of the clinic location to Barclay Street the area starts to get more stable. A block and a half away on Guilford, houses start to sell for up to $150 a square foot. Anyway, there are very few places that are already so bad that adding 1,200 daily Methadone patients doesn't have a substantial negative impact.

The police post where the clinic will be located had very few arrests in 2014. We expect that to change real quick.

Last edited by pwduvall; 01-30-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,446,169 times
Quote:
This is sort of true except that the clinic is on 25th street and Yau Brothers is almost five blocks away. Once you go a half block east of the clinic location to Barclay Street the area starts to get more stable. A block and a half away on Guilford, houses start to sell for up to $150 a square foot. Anyway, there are very few places that are already so bad that adding 1,200 daily Methadone patients doesn't have a substantial negative impact.

The police post where the clinic will be located had very few arrests in 2014. We expect that to change real quick.
Yeah, that's right - Calvert Green and the Barclay developments - isn't Hopkins doing some live near work incentive there? Barclay is one block west of Greenmount. To the east of Greenmount is pretty humble.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 AM

759 posts, read 1,349,023 times
Some of these clinics have created real problems, as anyone who takes Belair Rd>Gay St as part of his morning commute into the city already knows. The huge "Turning Point" clinic at the corner of North and Gay has hundreds of addicts hanging out drinking and selling benzos, take-home doses, and other drugs used to "boost" their methadone on a daily basis. All of this just adds to the problems at what was already a very dangerous corner. Police seem to have pretty much given up on trying to control illicit activity there, as their presence is rarely noted. The clinic owners/managers apparently could care less about the behavior of their clients, since they make no effort to curtail the activity.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Some of these clinics have created real problems, as anyone who takes Belair Rd>Gay St as part of his morning commute into the city already knows. The huge "Turning Point" clinic at the corner of North and Gay has hundreds of addicts hanging out drinking and selling benzos, take-home doses, and other drugs used to "boost" their methadone on a daily basis. All of this just adds to the problems at what was already a very dangerous corner. Police seem to have pretty much given up on trying to control illicit activity there, as their presence is rarely noted. The clinic owners/managers apparently could care less about the behavior of their clients, since they make no effort to curtail the activity.
I'm told that the police are back to their bust-a-day routine around the Maryland Avenue clinics. Unfortunately, that isn't enough to keep the problems under control. Turning point is by far the biggest clinic in Baltimore. They would probably need to do several arrests per day for quite a while to even begin to bring the problems under control over there. Interestingly, the owner of Turning Point is the new Governor's adviser on heroin addiction. I don't think he has much to fear from anybody.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM

759 posts, read 1,349,023 times
Quote:
I'm told that the police are back to their bust-a-day routine around the Maryland Avenue clinics. Unfortunately, that isn't enough to keep the problems under control. Turning point is by far the biggest clinic in Baltimore. They would probably need to do several arrests per day for quite a while to even begin to bring the problems under control over there. Interestingly, the owner of Turning Point is the new Governor's adviser on heroin addiction. I don't think he has much to fear from anybody.
That doubtless explains why they have a huge banner reading "Thank God for Governor Hogan" hanging from the side of their building.
I have very mixed feelings about the use of methadone. I have had several family members, friends and acquaintances who became caught up in various addictions. Some used methadone for a short time to stabilize their behavior, gradually weaned off, and beat their addiction. Some are on methadone maintenance, have been for years, and firmly expect to be on the drug for the rest of their lives. They go to the clinic once a month, pick up 30 take homes, and for the most part lead normal, productive lives.
Others have used it just to take a break from street drugs, or as a legal method to continue to get high. Those are in and out of jail, or treatment, or just disappear, sometimes permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: