Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,073,773 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to the Morgan area. Does anybody know anything about it? I live a few blocks away and I'm taking night classes. I have met students who claimed to been stabbed and robbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM

8,136 posts, read 13,181,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I just recently moved to the Morgan area. Does anybody know anything about it? I live a few blocks away and I'm taking night classes. I have met students who claimed to been stabbed and robbed.

You may need to be more specific since Morgan State borders several different neighborhoods. Generally, I think one needs to be careful around ANY College/University since students are often targeted by thieves regardless of how 'good' the neighborhood is around it. I have heard of more muggings around MICA and Towson than around Coppin State. THough one may feel that they would more likely get mugged in the neighborhoods around urban Coppin than suburban Towson. Obviously.. the culture of the two campuses may play a role as well with students at Coppin being more wary of their surroundings and thus less likely to get mugged.. than you young frat boy from York PA that stumbles drunk back from a party off campus in Towson. At any rate, the only problem areas that I have heard about has been around the shopping center to the southwest of the campus.. mainly because of a night club that is in there and because the McDonalds draws people from far and wide.. There are also a few sketch areas, though small, along Coldspring west of the campus.. Again, its a high traffic and somewhat commercial area.. with bus stops and the like.. that bring in a wide range of folks

Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM

280 posts, read 671,670 times
East of the campus is better than anything west or immediately southwest.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,839,495 times
West of the campus is fine. It may be a little shady around the shopping center, but the residential areas are working class. I grew up in that neighborhood (1600 block of Coldspring) and know the people who tried the give that area a bad name. Most of them are in prison and the ones who aren't have moved out of the neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,476,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You may need to be more specific since Morgan State borders several different neighborhoods. Generally, I think one needs to be careful around ANY College/University since students are often targeted by thieves regardless of how 'good' the neighborhood is around it. I have heard of more muggings around MICA and Towson than around Coppin State. THough one may feel that they would more likely get mugged in the neighborhoods around urban Coppin than suburban Towson. Obviously.. the culture of the two campuses may play a role as well with students at Coppin being more wary of their surroundings and thus less likely to get mugged.. than you young frat boy from York PA that stumbles drunk back from a party off campus in Towson. At any rate, the only problem areas that I have heard about has been around the shopping center to the southwest of the campus.. mainly because of a night club that is in there and because the McDonalds draws people from far and wide.. There are also a few sketch areas, though small, along Coldspring west of the campus.. Again, its a high traffic and somewhat commercial area.. with bus stops and the like.. that bring in a wide range of folks
Woodlands gives a good description of the area. A large portion of the shopping center is being developed by Morgan and I think a Hospitality school is being built there. I don't think you will have any problems, just use your common sense and be careful at night.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,363,946 times
We're neighbors! Welcome to Northeast Baltimore! I live somewhere between Morgan and Loyola University. And yes, students have been shot, robbed and stabbed, but don't let that deter you from accomplishing your goals. It's Baltimore! Crime is inevitable. Just protect yourself, keep ya head down and buy a few registered handguns!

Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post

Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Coldspring Ave and Greenmount Ave. is like a main strip for dysfunctional activity. Working class to no class! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
West of the campus is fine. It may be a little shady around the shopping center, but the residential areas are working class. I grew up in that neighborhood (1600 block of Coldspring) and know the people who tried the give that area a bad name. Most of them are in prison and the ones who aren't have moved out of the neighborhood.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 AM

Woodlands,

Since you know so much, let me ask you something? How come the area around Morgan State University is not developed with nice restaurants, fancy eateries/bistro, art houses and cool stuff that other white universities in Baltimore enjoy??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,266,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Woodlands,

Since you know so much, let me ask you something? How come the area around Morgan State University is not developed with nice restaurants, fancy eateries/bistro, art houses and cool stuff that other white universities in Baltimore enjoy??!

Why don't you go first -- what do you think? Surely, you have an opinion.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,044,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
We're neighbors! Welcome to Northeast Baltimore! I live somewhere between Morgan and Loyola University. And yes, students have been shot, robbed and stabbed, but don't let that deter you from accomplishing your goals. It's Baltimore! Crime is inevitable. Just protect yourself, keep ya head down and buy a few registered handguns!

Peace

Buy a handgun and consider registering it, but don't get caught carrying it. Remember you are in the state of the gun control nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore