Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,384,035 times

Advertisements

*Good Article!!!

It's about time!

Backers of high-speed 'maglev' train to Washington claim $5 billion in funding - baltimoresun.com

Backers of high-speed 'maglev' train to Washington claim $5 billion in funding

By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun 8:02 a.m. EDT, September 4, 2014

An investor group hoping to build a high-speed train capable of cutting the travel time between Baltimore and Washington to 15 minutes says in a filing to state regulators that it has lined up more than $5 billion in financial backing.
The commitment is from the Japanese government, which hopes to showcase the technology behind superconducting magnetic levitation or "maglev" trains to an American audience, the company behind the proposal wrote to the Maryland Public Service Commission on Wednesday.
Such trains are capable of extreme speeds, thanks to their frictionless, magnetically-controlled motion above their tracks. The technology has been approved in Japan and is to be rolled out next month on an initial stretch of track that planners hope will eventually connect Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka.

In addition to the $5 billion commitment from the public Japan Bank for International Cooperation, the private Central Japan Railway Co. has agreed to waive any licensing fees for use of its maglev technology, wrote attorneys for the Annapolis-based Baltimore Washington Rapid Rail LLC.
The details were included in Rapid Rail's filing Wednesday asking Maryland regulators for the old state franchise rights of the former Washington Baltimore & Annapolis Electric Railroad, a once-busy interurban electric rail car system that linked the three cities in the early 20th century.

Read more: Backers of high-speed 'maglev' train to Washington claim $5 billion in funding - capitalgazette.com

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 09-04-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:45 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,384,035 times
I can get to DC in 15 minutes, NYC in 1hr?!! Love it!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 AM

8,175 posts, read 13,246,446 times
Wow.. I wonder how much it would cost? I assume it would be a pretty hefty ticket.. much more than even taking an Acela from Baltimore to DC which I believe could run you $40. Where would it run? It would seem feasible to run it down the middle of I-95 if it is similiar to a monorail. The only thing is MDOT may be concerned about a "derailment/mechanical failure" at such speed. Even though its not on a rail per say it will be ..It would kill everyone onboard and a few people driving underneath....I wonder if DC Govt would allow it to enter the district for security reasons.. or if it would have to terminate at someplace like Greenbelt or New Carrollton and push people onto the Metro?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,223,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Where would it run?

According to the article, it would run on the old WB&A RR right of way.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,765,829 times
This would be amazing.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,464,058 times
Quote:
taking an Acela from Baltimore to DC which I believe could run you $40.
That's with advanced purchased I've been quoted $60 with a straight face.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM

8,175 posts, read 13,246,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
According to the article, it would run on the old WB&A RR right of way.
\

I re read it.. and it said tha they would not use the right of way only the 'franchise' of the WB&A RR which would give them the right to run passenger train service in the area... and that it would be mostly underground......Interesting...

Old 09-04-2014, 10:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,464,058 times
Wouldn't these trains run better in a sealed vacuum environment, in theory? The maglev removes the train to track friction, but doesn't remove air resistance. If they’re planning to use a tunnel – why not go the extra step to remove most of the air?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,223,586 times
Quote:
\

I re read it.. and it said tha they would not use the right of way only the 'franchise' of the WB&A RR which would give them the right to run passenger train service in the area... and that it would be mostly underground......Interesting...

Thanks for the clarification. I re-read the article and picked up on this paragraph which I had missed the first time through:

"The new rail line would not use the railroad's old right-of-way, which has largely been lost or turned into multi-use trails, Rogers said, just its right to operate a passenger service through the area."

I've driven down WB&A Rd. plenty of times and knew that while the tracks are still there in some areas, a lot of the old right-of-way would be unavailable for current use, and was wondering how they'd get a new right-of-way through that area.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,079,770 times
Sounds great until Baltimore becomes just as expensive as DC. But it may attract businesses and middle class folks back to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore