Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
1969 was the year the Cubs blew it. That ill-fated 1969 season saw the Cubs in first place for 155 days, until mid-September when they lost 17 out of 25 games, and the Mets took the NL pennant.

The Mets played the O's in the World Series that year, and you know how that turned out. Double Grrr!

1969 was also the season of the infamous Black Cat Hex the Mets threw on the Cubs at Shea.

The Cubbies have been hexed by billy goats, black cats, crows, and numerous other creatures in God's kingdom. Turned me into a ChiSox fan.
Different team, same results.
“I understand why people got caught up in what we did,” Seaver said. “We had been a horrid franchise, and suddenly we weren’t. But we also had a guy who won 25 games. We had a guy who hit .340. We had one of the best catchers in the game, and a great, great manager. And by the way? We won a hundred games! … We played eight postseason games and won seven of them. To call it a miracle is to say we were a fluke, and I’ll be damned if anyone will tell me what we did in ’69 was a fluke.” - Tom Seaver, the greatest pitcher of all time

I have no other answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 12:58 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Seaver said: “We had been a horrid franchise, and suddenly we weren’t. But we also had a guy who won 25 games. We had a guy who hit .340. We had one of the best catchers in the game, and a great, great manager."
The Mets also had a pet black cat which they threw out on the field in front of their dugout and spooked the sh¡t out of Ron Santo (the batter in the picture) and the Cubbies.

There is more to the story: As I remember, the Black Cat Hex was laid down on a Sunday game at Shea in August. All four Chicago dailies picked it up; unfortunately they printed the picture of the little black kitty (which Chicago papers don't normally do for "a person of interest." I guess the black cat was not a person.) Things went by OK until the last week in September, when it looked like the BLACK CAT HEX was for real. A Chicago gambling syndicate was getting anxious, and so they sent a hit squad to NY to put the little kitty "at ease." Unfortunately, before they could talk to the kitty, they stopped off at an oyster place in Howard Beach, Queens. The Chicago boys, being pleasant mannered midwesterners, had never eaten oysters before in their lives. To make matters worse, they also brought along cheap Chicago rot-gut Bourbon, the kind the mob-controlled bars and restaurants in ChiTown pour into MakersMark bottles to serve to tourist rubes from Wisconsin and Indiana. Needless to say, oysters and Chicago rot-gut are not a good mix, and the Chicago boys could not complete their mission. (Whether they ever returned to ChiTown, no one knows.)

After the WS was over and the Mets beat the Orioles, the NY guys no longer needed the little kitty. They put him up for sale and he was bought by a wealthy Chicagoan (19th century wealth — the best kind; his family owned the rails from Chicago to Seattle). There the little black cat lived out his days, on the plush lawns of the estate above the cliffs overlooking Lake Michigan. Only in Chicago, man. I'm beginning to shed a tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Tom Seaver, the greatest pitcher of all time.
Yeah, I remenber him. He pitched his 300th career win against the NY Yankees IN A CHICAGO WHITE SOX UNIFORM. Any old player, if he can stand unaided and can fog a mirror, may be offered a contract with our Cubs or Sox.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,865 times
Quote:
Any old player, if he can stand unaided and can fog a mirror, may be offered a contract with our Cubs or Sox.
Hey now, the Cubs got Jake Arrieta from the O's and he's a good pitcher, they just have to support him. Remember the Cubs swept the O's on their visit there this year in late August.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:02 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,934 times
Quote:
Yeah, I remenber him. He pitched his 300th career win against the NY Yankees IN A CHICAGO WHITE SOX UNIFORM. Any old player, if he can stand unaided and can fog a mirror, may be offered a contract with our Cubs or Sox.
Yeah, but he's in the Hall of Fame as a New York Met and when it comes to posterity, that's all that matters.

And if all it takes is a little black cat to send your season into a downward spiral, I think that says more about the constitution and gumption of your team than it does about the cat.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Lock this cornball thread!!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Lock this cornball thread!!!!
Why? we're still talking baseball!

Been looking at ticket prices on StubHub as I doubt I'll get lucky like I did lasts time; ouch - they are expensive...! I need a miracle!

Old 10-09-2014, 05:01 PM

Whoever said Tom Seaver is baseball's best pitcher of all time doesn't know baseball.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:03 PM

DP,

You were the first to post a comment! Do you think Peter Angelos is a good owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Easy now don't want to jinx anything, been waiting for this for a long time!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:06 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
Quote:
Whoever said Tom Seaver is baseball's best pitcher of all time doesn't know baseball.
Seaver was the best pitcher of his era. A pitcher has to be good over many years to win 300 games in a lifetime. I can't see any pitcher doing that today. That is the equivalent of 20 wins per year for 15 years. A pitcher today thinks he is exceptional if he has 20 wins a year once or twice in his career.

Last edited by Zea mays; 10-09-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
DP,

You were the first to post a comment! Do you think Peter Angelos is a good owner?
I think we have to remember that Angelos saved the Orioles from the possibility of being moved out of town, and for that I am grateful. He spent big money on some contracts trying to compete (Albert Belle, Scott Erikson) and they blew up on him, causing him to be gun shy. I've always suspected that Angelos and his sons, non baseball people, meddled too much with the team. I'm very happy with the results Andy McPhail delivered (building much of the current farm system and team, the trades that got the O's Adam Jones and George Sherrill and lots of prospect pitching to develop or trade for needs), and was ecstatic when Buck Showalter was named manager (I didn't know much about Dan Duquette at the time and Dan had been out of baseball for 10 years). Hindsight is always 20/20; I think Angelos could have been a better owner over the course of his reign, but I am very pleased since Buck came on board. It appears that Angelos is letting baseball people run the show, whcih is what needs to happen.

Going forward, Peter Angelos is in his upper 80s, so I wonder about the future of the team. And given the successes of this year, I'm sure ticket prices are going to rise. OPACY is one of the nicest and most affordable parks in MLB. I'd hate to see that change. I've spent a lot of time and money at OPACY, got a lot of memories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore