Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times

Advertisements

Soooooo, this large Russian company has bought out Natty Boh I've heard....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
You must be white!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei_Keschenko View Post
"Land of Pleasant Living"

Personally, being relatively new to Baltimore (5 years), and having lived in a myriad of other cities, including Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Detroit, Tucson, Chicago and Boston....

Baltimore is WAAAAYYYY more pleasant than any of those places!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
You must be white!?
Yes this. For the most part, the only people who enjoy living in Baltimore are white 'urban pioneer' types who move into the trendy neighborhoods like Fells Pt, etc., from other parts of the country. I grew up there and hated every minute of it - skipped town when I was 17 and never looked back. I view it as a moral imperative that the city not get its hands on my tax dollars.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
I hear ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Yes this. For the most part, the only people who enjoy living in Baltimore are white 'urban pioneer' types who move into the trendy neighborhoods like Fells Pt, etc., from other parts of the country. I grew up there and hated every minute of it - skipped town when I was 17 and never looked back. I view it as a moral imperative that the city not get its hands on my tax dollars.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:09 AM

759 posts, read 1,355,892 times
Urban legend or truth?
I've been told that the "City that Reads" slogan was introduced the same week that the city of Baltimore closed several branches of the Pratt Library system.
Any truth to this? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:14 AM

And as a quick P.S.: until they closed the Halethorpe Brewery and started making National Beer elsewhere, I knocked those suckers out by the casefull-it was tasty stuff.
I knew things had gone all to hell the time I bought a new case of Natty Boh cans, and it consisted of 6 Nationals, and 18 "Blatz" beers in the same case.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:38 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
And as a quick P.S.: until they closed the Halethorpe Brewery and started making National Beer elsewhere, I knocked those suckers out by the casefull-it was tasty stuff.
I knew things had gone all to hell the time I bought a new case of Natty Boh cans, and it consisted of 6 Nationals, and 18 "Blatz" beers in the same case.

That National Premium in bottles was the best US brewed beer that I have ever tasted. From what I can find out, they quit making it, but a couple of years ago a local entrepreneur has brought it back to Baltimore. I don't know if it is still selling. As for the working man's brews, I always liked Pabst Blue Ribbon, which has enjoyed a revival among hipsters.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:32 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
That National Premium in bottles was the best US brewed beer that I have ever tasted. From what I can find out, they quit making it, but a couple of years ago a local entrepreneur has brought it back to Baltimore. I don't know if it is still selling. As for the working man's brews, I always liked Pabst Blue Ribbon, which has enjoyed a revival among hipsters.

PBR fell out of favor during the late Boomers/early Gen X early adulthoods. Funny that hipsters like it.

I was a Stroh's, Stroh's Dark and Coors drinker. Of course, nowadays I don't always drink beer but when I do I drink Dos Equis.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:53 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
PBR fell out of favor during the late Boomers/early Gen X early adulthoods. Funny that hipsters like it.

I was a Stroh's, Stroh's Dark and Coors drinker. Of course, nowadays I don't always drink beer but when I do I drink Dos Equis.
Could never stand Pabst, both when it was uncool and known as the beer can most likely to be dredged up from creek bottoms when fishing, or when it was the hipster's beer of choice. Never liked Natty Boh either. It tasted to me like crabs were falling in the vats and dying. Sorta like a bad version of Miller Lite.

I am a Schlitz man when it comes to cheap beer. Good color, kiss of the hops, not too sweet (PBR's worst quality.) Old Milwaukee is good too, IMO. Pretty sure it is just Schlitz in a different can though.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:07 PM

As a connoisseur of cheap beer, I know that bad taste is a matter of taste.
Miller High Life always seemed the sweetest and flattest, Rolling Rock and Genesee Cream Ale close second and third.
Coors was just plain worthless. Similar to Narragansett(pride of Rhode Island) if you ever had that.
PBR, Olympia, Jax, Falstaff, Dixie, and Lone Star just went right through you.
Blatz, Wiedemanns, Stroh's (fire-brewed, what's that mean?), Old Mil and Schlitz are pretty much all the same brew with different labels-I think whatever was left at the bottom of the tank, and whoever had the most labels left over got bottled that day.
Any of the "Lite" beers were beneath contempt.
To this day though, I think my least favorite is still Schaefer's-and we drank a lot of it the Summer we lived on Ramen noodles, peanut butter and Government cheese. Flavor was reminiscent of carbonated felt mixed with rubbing alcohol and formaldehyde.
We need a new thread for "all time favorite worst cheap beers!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore