Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 07:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

Today I received a speeding ticket of 43 in a 25 on W Belvedere ave in Baltimore City. The officer pulled me over with a radar detector. I gave him my license and registration when he came back to my car taking over 30 mins to issue my ticket told me I wasn't driving with a drivers license and gave me a ticket for that too with no price on it. I told the officer it was a valid Virginia drivers license with a class M2 for my motorcycle as well on the back it said Class M2 only 2 wheel MC and he argued with me saying its just a motorcycle license not a drivers license and told me to take it up in court and asked my girlfriend if she had her license like he wanted her to drive. Well he let me drive away with (no license) I called the Virginia DMV and was told I was a valid drivers license as well as a motorcycle license all I would have to do is get a copy of my drivers record in court. Well my question is how much is a driving without a license ticket? And if I go to court I feel more than likely to beat the driving with out a license ticket but the speeding one I was wondering if I go to a Virginia Driver Improvement Classes would that be thrown out as well I don't want anymore points on my license I did get a ticket in Virginia July for speeding as well and I'am done its for the birds lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:21 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvonte10 View Post
I told the officer it was a valid Virginia drivers license...
...told me to take it up in court
my question is how much is a driving without a license ticket?
If you have a valid license... ZERO.

Quote:
And if I go to court (for) the speeding one...
Yes. Plan to do that.
google "probation before judgment"

Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Well since I scheduled my improvement class would it be best to request a trial date or request a waiver hearing to plead “Guilty with an Explanation” then hope I get it waived or a probation before judgment?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,112,497 times
There is a lot in your original post that does not make sense to me, but here is my advice. Go to court in Virginia for your Virginia ticket, and go to court in Maryland for your Maryland tickets. Do not tell the judge in either case about your other tickets, unless asked. Your Virginia Driver Improvement Class is good only in VA, not MD, so don't even bother bringing it up. The only explanation that I can think of for the officer in Maryland telling you that you do not have a valid license, is if you had a previous ticket in Maryland that you did not pay, the state of Maryland would have revoked your license in Maryland, but your license would still be valid in Virginia. However, if that were the case, the officer would have probably impounded your vehicle and arrested you for driving without a valid license.

Hopefully some others here, maybe an attorney or two, will chime in with their advice.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 PM

I hope I can clear it up for you I got pulled over in Baltimore city maryland going 43 in a 25. The issue is the office that pulled gave me a ticket for not having a license as well. I do have a valid drivers license I verified it with the Virginia DMV after I recieved my ticket I explained to the office that my license is a drivers as well as a motorcycle license but he kept replying it wasn't its only a motorcycle license. When I go to court DMV told me bring a copy of my driving record to show my license is valid. I will more than likely beat the driving without a license ticket but the speeding ticket was there anyway I could avoid getting points on my license I was would possibly getting a PBJ. I was considering taking a improvement class to maybe avoid it.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:10 AM

5,332 posts, read 6,029,114 times
Quote:
Today I received a speeding ticket of 43 in a 25 on W Belvedere ave in Baltimore City. The officer pulled me over with a radar detector. I gave him my license and registration when he came back to my car taking over 30 mins to issue my ticket told me I wasn't driving with a drivers license and gave me a ticket for that too with no price on it. I told the officer it was a valid Virginia drivers license with a class M2 for my motorcycle as well on the back it said Class M2 only 2 wheel MC and he argued with me saying its just a motorcycle license not a drivers license and told me to take it up in court and asked my girlfriend if she had her license like he wanted her to drive. Well he let me drive away with (no license) I called the Virginia DMV and was told I was a valid drivers license as well as a motorcycle license all I would have to do is get a copy of my drivers record in court. Well my question is how much is a driving without a license ticket? And if I go to court I feel more than likely to beat the driving with out a license ticket but the speeding one I was wondering if I go to a Virginia Driver Improvement Classes would that be thrown out as well I don't want anymore points on my license I did get a ticket in Virginia July for speeding as well and I'am done its for the birds lol
According to Virginia's DMV website, it appears that the "Class M2 only 2 wheel MC" on the back of your license indicates your license is restricted. Is there a "6" under restriction on the front of the license? If not, I'd suggest getting this mess cleaned up before your court date.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM

No the is no 6 on the front of my license I have the page printed out front the DMV website to bring with me the only restriction I have is a C for corrective lenses which is on the back of my license too. Also with my speeding ticket is the officer suppose to have the speed zone on the ticket on my ticket it States Max speed 43 in blank zone it doesn't say the streets speed limit. Also I have video that the speed limit sign is covered by trees u cant see it until u pass it.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,029,114 times
Quote:
No the is no 6 on the front of my license I have the page printed out front the DMV website to bring with me the only restriction I have is a C for corrective lenses which is on the back of my license too. Also with my speeding ticket is the officer suppose to have the speed zone on the ticket on my ticket it States Max speed 43 in blank zone it doesn't say the streets speed limit. Also I have video that the speed limit sign is covered by trees u cant see it until u pass it.
Here's the regulation that requires the charging document to identify the maximum speed that the driver allegedly exceeded. § 21-807 - Charging violations :: 2013 Maryland Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

I'm assuming that the citation is the charging document. If you decide to appear at a trial without the assistance of an attorney, you might want to consider asking the court to dismiss the speeding charge because of the failure to identify the maximum speed as required by the Transportation Article, Sec. 21-807. But - note that I'm not a traffic attorney and probably know less than you do. So, it is probably worth a few bucks to consult with a traffic attorney.

Have you conducted a case search at mdcourts.gov ? I wonder if the maximum speed is identified in the case database.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:06 PM

No I haven't conducted a case search I have to mail my citations in to make a court date but if I am able to use this in court I will.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:36 PM

This is a update on my situation I have a notice in the mail from MD court saying my fine for driving without a license is 530 and saying I need a lawyer if I go to trial. I feel like I don't because I had a drivers license the hold time I don't know what is wrong with the cop that issued it to me. I have a copy of my drivers record saying I have a valid drivers license since 2007 and it is still good with a motorcycle endorsement. Also with my speeding situation I checked Maryland courts website it doesn't say the speed zone (speed limit) of the street I was on just how fast I was going and the speed limit sign on that street is covered by a tree. Picture Below
Attached Thumbnails
Speeding ticket and Driving without a License (Out of state Va)-004.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: