Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:12 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,057,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVboy View Post
It is an underrated city. And as a matter of fact, as I mentioned before (without starting a rivalry), I like it better than DC, simply because the people there for the most part are just more down-to-earth and friendly. I went up to Baltimore this past weekend for 3-days. Went to the Ravens/Falcons game, went to the aquarium, and went to the Sports Museum. It was the first time I had been to Baltimore in a year (I live 3.5 hours south of the city). The one heartbreaking thing was seeing all of the homelessness around town. It seemed like it was more of it this year than last year. I had just went up to DC 2 months ago and didn't see as many panhandlers in that city as I did in Baltimore.

Yes, there are a lot more homeless/panhandlers in Baltimore than before, and a lot more than DC, but I have also seen a lot more recently in both Philadelphia and San Francisco. This increase is not a problem that is unique to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,010,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Having visited Baltimore so many times throughout my life I feel that it is one of the most underrated cities in the entire United States. Baltimore has great architecture, amazing cuisine, good mass transit compared to most US cities, unique accents, great urban infrastructure, great attractions, great sports culture, 4 distinct seasons, great historic culture, and is one of the realest cities in country. I know this city isn't perfect but I do feel that locals need to take more pride in their city. I feel that Baltimore is sort of like the hot girl at a night club that keeps telling herself that she is ugly. Does anyone else think Baltimore is one of the most underrated cities in the country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Some amazing architecture? No doubt about that, some of it is very eye-catching, even after many years of repeated viewing.
This surprises me. The OP is from Philly, which also has the rowhome architecture. But, in my opinion, Philadelphia has way better rowhomes and a larger variety of very unique and very appealing architecture.

I wish Baltimore had way more variety like Philadelphia. Most of Baltimore has a very very very similar 'look' absolutely everywhere. The lack of trees, the lack of porches, and just plain brick right up against the sidewalks, and not much else.

I'm a fan of rowhomes, and I like the density of both cities, and I want to think of Baltimore as possibly being as interesting as Philadelphia's rowhomes, but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots? I don't know?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:15 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,010,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Take Portland, OR. I have mentioned this before: Portland was not always the cool, hip, place to be. 30 years ago the place was a total dump (Portland used to also be heavily Conservative not that long ago, but that is a topic for another thread). The City of Portland hired a firm to revitalize downtown and now wala, we have the Portland of today. Take my hometown of Sacramento, CA. Sacto's Midtown and Downtown were also kind of dumpy for a very long time. Not only that but there was almost latterly nothing to do. Sacramento hired the same firm who did Portland to revitalize Midtown/downtown. Now, skid row is luxury condos, the hole-in-the-wall bar where you used to be able to get a Shaker glass full of gin and a splash of grapefruit juice for $2 now sells $10 pints of craft beer. The food scene that once was full of restaurants that probably should have been condemned is now being featured in major New York City publications. Even though these plans were put into place just over a decade ago most of this change really only happened over the last five years.

Here is my point: no one in Sacramento would have thought any of this possible ten years ago. Heck, growing up we used to joke that Sacramento was a cow town, which was not far from the truth. I mean imagine a major U.S. city built around agriculture and being a place where "big city folk" did things like join 4H and/or FFA (Future Farmers of America) and going to something like a rodeo within city limits was a good way to spend a Friday evening...a major U.S. city. But Sacramento became tired of being the red-headed step-child to SF that everyone loved but no one really wanted. I do not want to suggest that this is what Baltimore should do. I am just giving some insight into what is possible. Hence my previous comment that Baltimore can become the big city that DC cannot.
Some very good points!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,163,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This surprises me. The OP is from Philly, which also has the rowhome architecture. But, in my opinion, Philadelphia has way better rowhomes and a larger variety of very unique and very appealing architecture.

I wish Baltimore had way more variety like Philadelphia. Most of Baltimore has a very very very similar 'look' absolutely everywhere. The lack of trees, the lack of porches, and just plain brick right up against the sidewalks, and not much else.

I'm a fan of rowhomes, and I like the density of both cities, and I want to think of Baltimore as possibly being as interesting as Philadelphia's rowhomes, but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right spots? I don't know?
Perhaps their rowhomes aren't as colorful and stately/tony on average compared to Philly's.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:51 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,375,931 times
These Black folks are the exceptions!

"Baltimore is a white man's city!" - Jack Pollack

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Just white folks?? Not black folks?

I have met many black folks who have made a good life for themselves and their families in this city.

I think you need to get out more and meet more people.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,375,931 times
The architecture in Philly is much better than Baltimore's. I've lived in both cities.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,057,944 times
Quote:

Knowing both cities quite well, I believe that Baltimore's row homes and their architecture are almost as interesting as Philadelphia's. That is saying a lot considering that Philadelphia is twice as big as Baltimore. Yes, Baltimore has a lot of row home neighborhoods that have no porches and the houses right up against the sidewalks, but then so does Philly. That was very common when they built neighborhoods for factory workers. In Baltimore, the largest area that has the most interesting concentration of row home architecture outside of Midtown/Mt. Vernon is the area from the southern end of Bolton Hill north to Druid Hill Park, encompassing all of Bolton Hill, Marble Hill, Reservoir Hill, and Auchentroly Terrace. That area would be much more beautiful if the Baltimore city government had not torn through Reservoir Hill and demolished as many homes as possible, during its purges from the 1980s until today.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:36 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,936,433 times
Quote:
What I meant to say was Baltimore's architecture is very underrated when you compare it to other cities. I didn't say Baltimore had better architecture than Philadelphia.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,410 times
Ive been to Baltimore inner harbor many times having grown up in Maryland, but never knew the city or neighborhoods. I've been recently looking into moving to Baltimore inner harbor,,I love the place! the architecture parks, brownstones. This city is definitely UNDERRATED.
Anyways I'd like some advice from local who know the place better than I, as I've just began my interest in moving to Charm city this month. Ive looked in Fells point, Bolton Hill, Mt. Vernon and Reservoir Hill,They are all nice to me, any advice from local?? I would love to live close to Druid park, But I need* to be close to Penn Station (for work) My husband and I have two sons in their 20's. we love the urban lifestyle, walking everywhere. Thanks for reading and would love your guidance

Old 10-31-2014, 10:02 AM

934 posts, read 1,053,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus101 View Post
Ive been to Baltimore inner harbor many times having grown up in Maryland, but never knew the city or neighborhoods. I've been recently looking into moving to Baltimore inner harbor,,I love the place! the architecture parks, brownstones. This city is definitely UNDERRATED.
Anyways I'd like some advice from local who know the place better than I, as I've just began my interest in moving to Charm city this month. Ive looked in Fells point, Bolton Hill, Mt. Vernon and Reservoir Hill,They are all nice to me, any advice from local?? I would love to live close to Druid park, But I need* to be close to Penn Station (for work) My husband and I have two sons in their 20's. we love the urban lifestyle, walking everywhere. Thanks for reading and would love your guidance
If you need to be close to Penn Station and want a walkable neighborhood, I'd suggest Mount Vernon. Some of the architecture there is truly gorgeous and it's sort of in the middle of everything (lots of bars, restaurants, things to do) as well as very close to Penn Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore