Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times

Advertisements

And, if you're from The City, aren't you enraged about gentrification in your beloved borough??!!

Oh..you're a Baltimorean now so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Brooklyn, baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Great. Something else to "blame white people" for. Come on.

I could go on a long rant here, but I won't...

Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 AM

777 posts, read 881,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Great. Something else to "blame white people" for. Come on.

I could go on a long rant here, but I won't...
You have to admit that it's a long list.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I think you're lying and fronting...

Brooklyn, Maryland? Brooklyn, Ohio? Brooklyn, New York?!!

If so, my ex is from East New York right off of Bradford & Pitkin Ave. East New York and Baltimore have a lot in common (minus the Puerto Ricans).

Can't you have a regular conversation without trolling? LOL I'm from East Flatbush, Clarendon Road.

And hell yes, Brooklyn is being gentrified like crazy right now. They put a freaking GAP OUTLET STORE on the corner of Regent and Flatbush, right in the middle of murder central! White people have moved in around there. Incredible. I know way too many people that suddenly can't afford to rent in areas of Brooklyn no one used to want to live.

I didn't talk about it here because it's not the topic of this thread.

Anyway, THAT is real gentrification that is displacing long standing black communities. Baltimore has nothing close to that going on at the moment, and you know it.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,447 times
Quote:
Can't you have a regular conversation without trolling? LOL I'm from East Flatbush, Clarendon Road.

And hell yes, Brooklyn is being gentrified like crazy right now. They put a freaking GAP OUTLET STORE on the corner of Regent and Flatbush, right in the middle of murder central! White people have moved in around there. Incredible. I know way too many people that suddenly can't afford to rent in areas of Brooklyn no one used to want to live.

Anyway, THAT is real gentrification that is displacing long standing black communities. Baltimore has nothing close to that going on at the moment, and you know it.
Thank you Tinawina!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
It is incredible. It's also incredible that whites 'evaculated' cities en masse as well. Suburbs, car-culture, etc. The precedence of the 1950s is ending, the 2020s will be all gridlock traffic without amenities if they were to stay out there. It's quite stunning that 'wealth' and 'money' took 60 years to realize the value of urban amenities, etc.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:31 PM

46 posts, read 64,664 times
In Baltimore, my friends, young white WORKING adults are settling mostly in waterfront communities (Canton, Harbor East, Federal Hill).
Pimlico, Cherry Hill and the like will remain as-is. Ugly, scary and half-vacant.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
You should have stayed in Brooklyn and fight gentrification! Now, you just want to come to Baltimore and sit around doing nothing. Brooklyn people have fight in them! Where's yours?!

Quote:

Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,447 times
Plank of Under Armour bought up Port Covington and is planning a huge campus there. Figure this will dovetail also with Westport as soon as the property is out of Patrick Turner's hands. Looks like Plank has a grand vision for the area long term, wants to lure and retain knowledge workers. And he hasn't asked the city for anything. UA is a $3B company and it seems like Plank is really pro Baltimore.

Since there is next to nothing in Westport and Port Covington now, no one can say Plank is pushing out poor blacks. Waterfront is still developing. This will be a boon to the city.

When I first came to Baltimore in teh early 1990s, I wondered why Westport and Port Covington were so under utilized, seemed perfect, especially if you want to lure that DC bedroom community money. Woudl you rather live in Frederick and battle 270 traffic or have greater amenities of a city and take teh MARC etc?

Kevin Plank-backed Port Covington deals fuel new speculation for area once proposed for campus site - Baltimore Sun

Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
It will be a long time before poor blacks are PUSHED out of Baltimore.. Baltimore has been on the receiving end of the migration of the poor for decades.. That is slowly changing with some of the more upwardly mobile poor relocating to the County.. leaving behind the really poor and indigent in Baltimore. That said, most of the neighborhoods where these residents call home are not in danger of being gentrified. Westport, even if the waterfront redevelops.. will likely not gentrify.. but the new development will become a fortress with its back to the existing neighborhoods and the Light Rail and face the Water. I would be surprised if a water taxi doesnt sail from there with stops at whatever Kevin Plank builds and head on over to the Inner Harbor.

Poor Whites are the only group threatened by gentrification in Baltimore and Latinos in Highlandtown..though to a lesser degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore