Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times

Advertisements

*Interesting!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-farrakhan-morgan-20141119-story.html

Morgan leadership must denounce Farrakhan's appearance

By Jay Bernstein

Both as a matter of law and as a matter of public policy, student organizations at public universities are entitled to invite speakers of their choosing to address the student body, no matter how controversial the speaker or the speaker's message. However, the fact that student groups have the right to invite whom they want does not shield them from criticism when they select a speaker whose message is repugnant.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-25-2014 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: A snip and link, please, not full text of an article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,037 times
Farrakhan is a racist, black supremacist, anti-semite, whose revisionist version of history would be laughable if it weren't so deliberately inflammatory. College students have a long history of jumping on the bandwagon for outrageous characters and causes. As well, there are significant numbers of Black Muslims and related religious groups in the Baltimore area, so some students may have been raised to follow the teachings of Farrakhan. He does have the protected right of free speech, the students have the right to assemble, and presumably whichever committee invited him has authority from the school to do so.
That being said, I equate his appearance at MSU to having the Johns Hopkins Student Union invite the Grand Dragon and Imperial Wizard to speak on campus. Legal, but in very poor taste.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM

777 posts, read 881,534 times
If the Grand Dragon of the KKK was invited to
JHU I would go to hear him speak and openly
debate him on the intellectual foundations of
of his white supremacist arguments.

Unlike you, I am willing to listen and debate.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Since the KKK represents more or less the lowest quintile of the white population, it might be a fair fight -- sort of like midget wrestling.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:39 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post

Unlike you, I am willing to listen and debate.
Yeah, I can see the left-wing moonbat professors and Administration tolerating the KKK on their hallowed grounds. Heh.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM

777 posts, read 881,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Since the KKK represents more or less the lowest quintile of the white population, it might be a fair fight -- sort of like midget wrestling.
Yeah, they're willing to do and say things
you only think about doing and saying (in public).

Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Farrakhan is a racist, black supremacist, anti-semite, whose revisionist version of history would be laughable if it weren't so deliberately inflammatory. College students have a long history of jumping on the bandwagon for outrageous characters and causes. As well, there are significant numbers of Black Muslims and related religious groups in the Baltimore area, so some students may have been raised to follow the teachings of Farrakhan. He does have the protected right of free speech, the students have the right to assemble, and presumably whichever committee invited him has authority from the school to do so.
That being said, I equate his appearance at MSU to having the Johns Hopkins Student Union invite the Grand Dragon and Imperial Wizard to speak on campus. Legal, but in very poor taste.
I'm not a big Farrakhan fan but are you really going to call him a Black supremacist? When has he ever been in a position to systematically oppress White people in the United States? Real racism is about what you do and not what you talk about. The big difference between White and Black racism is that White racism has been about action, meaning actually oppressing Black people both physically and systematically. Black racism is the New Black Panther Party standing on the sidewalk talking about "How much they hate the White man". They are clearly not the same.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM

389 posts, read 427,130 times
As a Black woman, I do NOT support MSU's decision of inviting him to speak there. I happened to read that joke of a publication "The Final Call" out of curiosity and it mentioned in one article that White people eat meat because they are animalistic. What the heck!?

That's the equivalent White folks calling Black folks monkeys.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:22 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm not a big Farrakhan fan but are you really going to call him a Black supremacist? When has he ever been in a position to systematically oppress White people in the United States? Real racism is about what you do and not what you talk about. The big difference between White and Black racism is that White racism has been about action, meaning actually oppressing Black people both physically and systematically. Black racism is the New Black Panther Party standing on the sidewalk talking about "How much they hate the White man". They are clearly not the same.
Actually, govt. mandated affirmative action policies, set asides, quotas, relaxed standards for "protected" groups, of the past 45 years can be considered systematic or institutional racism.

As for physical racism, how about knockout games, polar bear hunting, dousing white kids with gasoline and torching them ..... That's worse than anything the New Black Panthers have done .... so far at least.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times
*Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Calvert Hall, do you really want to stroll down this historical rabbit hole on "physical racism" and "horrific atrocities" committed against people of African descent by white Europeans and Americans in this nation??! The examples you've chosen on "physical racism", can't even eclipse the historical realities and horrors Black people have endured in this country at the hands of murderous white males and their institutions.

You do not want to go take that journey Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Actually, govt. mandated affirmative action policies, set asides, quotas, relaxed standards for "protected" groups, of the past 45 years can be considered systematic or institutional racism.

As for physical racism, how about knockout games, polar bear hunting, dousing white kids with gasoline and torching them ..... That's worse than anything the New Black Panthers have done .... so far at least.

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 11-20-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore