Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times

Advertisements

My top five Pizza is Matthew's, Pasta Mista, Johnny Rad's, HomeSlyce and Zella's.

There are too many good wing places in Baltimore to count, having good wings is almost expected at Baltimore bars. But Kislings, Delia Foley's, Mother's and MaGerks have always been some of my favorites and HomeSlyce has great baked wings. Many people swear by iBar as well though I've never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
This subject has been covered before, but I'm a pizza freak, so here are some of my favorites:
Matthews on Eastern Ave.-The Baltimore institution, and its oldest pizza joint. Different from any other pizza I've ever had. Consistently good. Bob Dylan is a regular customer.
Gil's Pizza on Belair Rd, near Frankfort Ave.: Since 1957, all they sell is pizza, and only one size. About 7-8 years ago they got a Coke machine. Great, slightly stinky, house shredded and mixed cheese blend. Homemade dough and sauce. Meat sauce is great. Carry-out only.
Pizza Johns, Back River Neck Rd in Essex: A huge place, sorta like pizza joints I remember from the sixties and seventies. Staff wear white uniforms and paper hats, crust is thin, crisp; excellent sauce to cheese/toppings ratio.
Viccino's, Charles St. in Mt. Vernon: Huge pies, good quality mozz, slightly sweet/spicy sauce, lots of toppings. Most vegi toppings are free. Bonus: they deliver beer and wine. Carry-out only.
Serpico's, Belair Rd. in Perry Hall. Great pies, made by fresh off the boat, first generation Italian family. Their calzones are the best in town.
Wings: Decent wings are available nearly everywhere, but two of my favorites are Dead Freddie's on Harford Rd., and Bruce Lee's (that's his real name) Asian wings in Cross St. Market.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Gil's Pizza
The best; period. I was going to say Mathews over Gil's but I think that just due to hype/respect. Mathews is great, but visit Gil's, order a cheese pizza or extra-cheese pizza (if you have no self-respect), let it 'rest' for 6 minutes and then taste it. It has to be how Heaven feels.....it has to be...

Old 12-02-2014, 04:30 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
Viccino's is good! All these spot are mostly over in East Baltimore (Baltimore RedNeck County).

Quote:
This subject has been covered before, but I'm a pizza freak, so here are some of my favorites:
Matthews on Eastern Ave.-The Baltimore institution, and its oldest pizza joint. Different from any other pizza I've ever had. Consistently good. Bob Dylan is a regular customer.
Gil's Pizza on Belair Rd, near Frankfort Ave.: Since 1957, all they sell is pizza, and only one size. About 7-8 years ago they got a Coke machine. Great, slightly stinky, house shredded and mixed cheese blend. Homemade dough and sauce. Meat sauce is great. Carry-out only.
Pizza Johns, Back River Neck Rd in Essex: A huge place, sorta like pizza joints I remember from the sixties and seventies. Staff wear white uniforms and paper hats, crust is thin, crisp; excellent sauce to cheese/toppings ratio.
Viccino's, Charles St. in Mt. Vernon: Huge pies, good quality mozz, slightly sweet/spicy sauce, lots of toppings. Most vegi toppings are free. Bonus: they deliver beer and wine. Carry-out only.
Serpico's, Belair Rd. in Perry Hall. Great pies, made by fresh off the boat, first generation Italian family. Their calzones are the best in town.
Wings: Decent wings are available nearly everywhere, but two of my favorites are Dead Freddie's on Harford Rd., and Bruce Lee's (that's his real name) Asian wings in Cross St. Market.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM

478 posts, read 809,469 times
Don't eat wings, so no comment there, but on pizza:

Matthews Pizza Eastern Ave (good, Baltimore's version of a deep-dish or 'thicker' kinda pizza).
Iggy's Pizza Calvert Street (thinner crust style pizza, well-made)
Johnny Rad's (I love the variety of toppings and styles available here-also has a good beer selection!)
Homeslyce (Solid pizza, one of my go-to's since its so close to home and convenient)

I'm curious to try alot of these other ones people have mentioned, particularly Viccino's. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 AM

934 posts, read 1,062,580 times
Can't comment on wings as I don't eat them much, but here is my two cents on pizza...

I don't get the big deal about Matthews. Trust me, I live 2 blocks away so I really want to like it, but it's just not good. Maybe I'm just a bit too snobbish about pizza because I'm from Jersey, but that stuff is almost inedible to me. Anything that isn't thin crust isn't worth eating, in my opinion. It's a shame because I know they're a family-owned small joint, so I was really eager to give them my business, but their pizza is just not my taste I guess. Plus I had kind of a bad customer service experience when I was in there too - everyone was pretty rude, which I really wasn't expecting from a place like that.

I have yet to find pizza that is completely up to my standards, but there are definitely a few places that are pretty good here.

I really like Joe Squared, but I almost wouldn't call it pizza. It's closer to a flatbread. But, it is delicious.

Iggies, Johnny Rad's, and Homeslyce are all good. Those are the three go-to's for me if I want a decent slice and a beer in a chill atmosphere. I also hear talk that Homeslyce is adding a location in Canton, which is excellent news for me as it's much closer to my house.

But, actually so far the best pizza I've had in Baltimore was at Verde in Canton (S. Montford Ave just south of the park). They do a great Napoletana style pie, the way pizza should be had. I would be at this place literally constantly if it wasn't so expensive, which is the only downside. Only reason I even ended up trying this place was because of the deals they did on Restaurant Week this year, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. It's definitely pricier and fancier than the other more down-to-earth pizzerias/bars around. But, if you're willing to pay for quality, that's where to get it.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Viccino's is good! All these spot are mostly over in East Baltimore (Baltimore RedNeck County).
It's true that some of these spots are in East Baltimore. But really, how often do you hear about outstanding pizza in West Baltimore? I believe there used to be a Papa John's at the end of North Avenue right at the Junction. I have heard recommendations for Tov Kosher Pizza on Reisterstown Rd. in Pikesville. Other than that, what?
The Westside has an even greater reputation for drugs and violence than East Baltimore, and much less of a reputation for any type of quality dining other than Lake Trout, Chicken Boxes, and a few scattered Caribbean and Soul Food carry-outs. So whatever may be drawing folks to Sandtown, Edmondson Village, Pimlico/Park Heights, Pennsy, Sowebo/Pigtown/Hollins Market, etc., etc., it sure ain't in search of good pizza.
And why would someone so concerned with matters of race have no problem stereotyping white residents of East Baltimore as "Rednecks?"

Old 12-02-2014, 06:08 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times
Yeah, not too much good pizza spots in West Baltimore except for Chef Paolino's. We have good Jamaican, West Indian and African foods.

Tov Kosher is good! What about Egyptian Pizza in Belvedere Square?

I used to live around East Rock in Essex, so I'm familiar with those rednecks. And yes, I have no problem calling people rednecks and blacknecks (black folks who act like rednecks).

Quote:
It's true that some of these spots are in East Baltimore. But really, how often do you hear about outstanding pizza in West Baltimore? I believe there used to be a Papa John's at the end of North Avenue right at the Junction. I have heard recommendations for Tov Kosher Pizza on Reisterstown Rd. in Pikesville. Other than that, what?
The Westside has an even greater reputation for drugs and violence than East Baltimore, and much less of a reputation for any type of quality dining other than Lake Trout, Chicken Boxes, and a few scattered Caribbean and Soul Food carry-outs. So whatever may be drawing folks to Sandtown, Edmondson Village, Pimlico/Park Heights, Pennsy, Sowebo/Pigtown/Hollins Market, etc., etc., it sure ain't in search of good pizza.
And why would someone so concerned with matters of race have no problem stereotyping white residents of East Baltimore as "Rednecks?"

Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Baltimore has some of the best Pizza places...Some would say, "the best on the East Coast"
LOL got a good laugh out of this line. Good to see no one (except me I guess) took the bait.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
What about Egyptian Pizza in Belvedere Square?
It's good, but Toss right down the street is better imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Trust me, I live 2 blocks away so I really want to like it, but it's just not good.
If I lived that close to Mathews, I'd be on a Maury Povich world's fattest people special.

It's nowhere near Chicago deep dish style, but it has it own ... charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore