Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 PM

759 posts, read 1,355,892 times

Advertisements

I'll agree that the Nursing program at BCCC is demanding. Nearly half of each class fails to pass on to the next semester. My admitting class was close to one hundred students. There were fewer than twenty of the original group of us left by the last semester. This is as it should be to insure quality Nurses.
They further have the added advantage of sending students to on-site clinical assignments from the first semester, unlike many schools which only begin clinicals in the second year of their programs. So there is a lot of hands-on job training that goes on.
However, the area is slightly dubious, and there are many less than committed people, both students and staff, that one will encounter there.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:31 PM

103 posts, read 326,262 times
You'll find less-than-committed people at many colleges. Everything said about BCCC students could also be said about the rich, entitled Long Island brats I went to college with, including talking during class and tossing their trash in the hallways (I guess they're used to maids picking up after them everywhere they go?) and being there because mommy and daddy picked up the tab so they could spend four years getting drunk on Greek row. Also, professors who got tenure so long ago that they bring the book they authored to class and that's what "class" is, them reading their book aloud. I took a year off from university to get a separate associate's degree at the local community college (not around here) that was also called "13th grade", and some of my professors there were better than the ones at the private university. College is largely what you make of it.

(And the diss on HBCUs isn't fair. A friend of mine is a poly sci professor at an HBCU in Virginia and I can tell you he doesn't lack standards for his students.)

Could you visit BCCC and perhaps one of the suburban CCs, talk to a couple of professors, and see what kind of read you get? I'd take the accreditation worries a lot more seriously than the comments about the students because unless you're in some kind of seriously demanding, selective program, there will always be fellow students you wish you could drop off the nearest cliff.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:37 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times
I bet HWCUs are actually no better. I've been to such place (Anne Arundel Community College) and the vibe is similar but more like redneck Eminem breathing on you rather than Eazy E. Just depends who you can stand I guess.

Well I would think the professors hate the "kids" attitudes at BCCC so in turn they slack off as well and let the school go to hell, much like any ghetto school movies we've all seen (Dangerous Minds, etc.), then the accreditation becomes in jeopardy. I don't think professors want to see gold teeth all the time as a form of intimidation. From what I understand gold teeth in Baltimore means you've got it made, whatever that means.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:09 PM

759 posts, read 1,355,892 times
As Rootless said above, college is largely what one makes of it. I too already had a degree from a "real" university when I went to BCCC for a middle-aged career change. Some of my instructors were every bit as good as the ones at the four year institution, in fact some were better than many I encountered when earning my BA. Some were just the same-putting in their time until retirement, disinterestedly spitting out the same lectures and lessons year after year.
If you're a City resident and are committed to it, and can put up with the kind of crap you're likely to encounter from the marking-time-milking-the-system ghetto trash element, I'd have no problem recommending the BCCC Nursing program-and as I said I'm a middle-aged white guy. The program is fairly well regarded and you should have no problem finding a job post graduation.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
*Interesting history! I was born in 1969.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
When I first came to Baltimore in 1969, BCCC was in a transformation from a predominantly Jewish vehicle of social upward mobility (however that is defined) to what it became later. Dr. Harry Bard was the president, a visible civic leader.

I'm sure googling will reveal the rest of the history. All I remember is that it once was located in the Baltimore City College (high school) complex. It wasn't even called BCCC then but Baltimore Junior College, as the call letters of its radio station, WBJC, still remind us.

As the above attests, remedial education has always been the school's mission. In fact, as student profile statistics reveal, many hardly are capable of reading.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Well I live in Pigtown and if all goes well I may be moving closer to BCCC. Anyone here know of apartment complexes in the general surrounding area of the campus? If I decide to stay in Maryland...

Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
I used to work for BCCC. I was within the Research Dept. We used to see student transcripts and grades all the time. The Nursing program has a very high failure rate, but is one of the well regarded programs. The bar is set high for a reason. Imagine a unqualified nurse working in a hospital makes a mistake???

There are two campuses of course (Liberty Heights and the Harbor Campus).

BCCC has been plagued with problems there was a article in the paper about the graduation rate (10%). This is mainly because students were checking "degree seeking" on their application, but were just there to take a few courses. They also were in threat of losing their accreditation multiple times. Most of their presidents have been fired (one after another).

Old 04-29-2015, 01:59 AM

I'm assuming with the riots, the BCCC area would be too scarred up for years to come? Maybe time to rethink if I should even be attending that school. Seems as if the rioters would be my future classmates if I even attend BCCC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore