Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 12:11 PM

389 posts, read 426,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what do you expect every Black person to do? Go to the ghetto and babysit hood rats? No. The Black people who have their act together, they've voted with their feet and gotten away from the hood rats. As far as I'm concerned, those hood rats won't listen to anyone, not even when a fellow Black tells them "get your act together". I'm very well aware of the crime statistics. I'm also aware that the perps are underclass types, the thug/hood rat types. You don't see the average Black person doing this.

You think you are the only one having problems living in the city? Black flight is taking place from cities. Blacks who have enough resources are leaving the cities as well. In fact, if anyone is in the most danger of being victimized by Black crime, it is Blacks themselves, but no one seems to care. It is only why Blacks cause crime that anyone cares.

As for certain factions of the media, stop right there. Since when has the media NOT addressed Black on Black violence? And furthermore, if you know anything about journalism, you can find plenty of good stories as well as bad. Guess what? Bad sells alot more than good.

And that "I have Black friends" stuff, I'm hip to that talk. I've heard it all before.

And you haven't answered my question. Caring what others think of me as a Black man is bad for my health. Causing anxiety issues, depression issues, raises the heart rate. Give me one reason why I should care what people think of me as a Black man. Answer that for me. I don't think I should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree that we can't babysit thug/hood rat types. No one tells people to live off of welfare, have children out of wedlock(with no father in sight), or commit crimes. In fact, there are Black people telling other Blacks not to do these things. Some listen, some don't. There are things out there.

Whenever I hear someone say "the Black community has to straighten up", I find this condescending, and these are the reasons why.

1) To say "Black community" basically assumes every Black person, as if we are all the same way. It doesn't take into account the segments within the Black population.
2) Which "Black community"? There are many Black communities out there.
3) With the segments within the Black population, this is what we have. There are many Black people taking care of business, being diligent, actually being decent. And then you have hood rats/thugs/underclass types. These are the ones causing the trouble within the Black population. If there is anyone whom should be told to "straighten up", it isn't us. It is those hood rats/underclass types who need to be told this.

Furthermore, I don't even think I should have to explain any of this to anyone. One does not tell someone "the Black community needs to straighten up" to a Black person or a group of Black people who already have their act together. One goes to the individuals who are actually causing the problems.

Those that are racist towards ALL TYPES of Black folks aren't trying to hear it though, which is sad and unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:22 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Lol Yeah the lines can be a little blurred online when it comes to whether or not one is actually initiating a joke.
If we were meeting in person, then I would be able to tell, because at least in person, one can listen to the tone of the joke. Online it's more difficult.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:31 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
[/b]

Those that are racist towards ALL TYPES of Black folks aren't trying to hear it though, which is sad and unfortunate.
Not only that, but going to the individuals who are causing the problems takes courage and honor. It also takes logic and reason. Those who are racist towards Blacks as a whole, I would agree that they don't care if a Black individual is decent or horrible.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 AM

593 posts, read 667,252 times
I apologize to you Green_Mariner, after re-reading my last comment it comes off different than I intended. It is hard to convey your true feelings through a keyboard with out being able to show changes in tone of voice and stuff. I think you are correct, it is not your job to go into the hood and speak the truth into every thug. I apologize for sounding like I was lumping all blacks together, because that was not my intention.

My issue is not with the tone of ones skin, its with the culture in which one lives. What I mean by that is the gangster culture. Rap music has breed multiple generations of humans who think selling crack, buying rims, degrading women, and popping bottles should be ones main goal in life. This culture is DIRECTLY responsible for destroying many areas of inner cities, such as Baltimore across America. I realize that the problems above affect people of all races, unfortunately from my personal experiences though, I have seen these issues more prevalent in the black community than the white. This is in no way a personal attack, this is just my observation. Trust me, these issues are alive and brewing in the white community too, we are no better just because of the tone of our skin. On top of this we have some issues that are more prevalent in our race than blacks (pedophiles for example), so I am not putting whites on any pedestal.

From the studies I have read, poverty and single parent homes are the biggest issues that breed crime. If us humans could come together as a whole and attack this problems at the base, I think we would see much improvement across the board.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:02 AM

305 posts, read 416,459 times
Welp, as a Black guy I know to stay far away from Baltimore, the racial tension is real. I surely dont want to be related to being a pitbull. That sounds terrible. Its worse than the racial tension in Cleveland here, never heard anything that bad before. But what I wanna know is, if people in Maryland, non-blacks, dislike the Blacks so much they relate them to pitbulls and judge/hate being around them so bad cause they dont take care of neighborhoods and are dangerous, why dont they just leave Maryland? You know, what 75%+ of non-black people did in Cleveland. Most left to Columbus or the state completely, same deal in St Louis etc. You guys dont have to be around them.

If you truly see the Blacks as vermin, and you cant get rid of them, move. Just like how youd do if it was a actual vermin problem in your house. But this is why I hate being Black, not much good going for us on a national image, Ill rephrase that, nothing. I was on the Seattle/SanFran board and they kinda say the same thing about Blacks, we're mainly known for crime... If I was white, I could live anywhere in the U.S. besides like the inner city areas without such broad judgement. Sucks bro. And being Black doesnt help my job search at all. I didnt ask to be born like this. I am truly ashamed.

Seems The Wire was very accurate about this place though.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Welp, as a Black guy I know to stay far away from Baltimore, the racial tension is real. I surely dont want to be related to being a pitbull. That sounds terrible. Its worse than the racial tension in Cleveland here, never heard anything that bad before. But what I wanna know is, if people in Maryland, non-blacks, dislike the Blacks so much they relate them to pitbulls and judge/hate being around them so bad cause they dont take care of neighborhoods and are dangerous, why dont they just leave Maryland? You know, what 75%+ of non-black people did in Cleveland. Most left to Columbus or the state completely, same deal in St Louis etc. You guys dont have to be around them.

If you truly see the Blacks as vermin, and you cant get rid of them, move. Just like how youd do if it was a actual vermin problem in your house. But this is why I hate being Black, not much good going for us on a national image, Ill rephrase that, nothing. I was on the Seattle/SanFran board and they kinda say the same thing about Blacks, we're mainly known for crime... If I was white, I could live anywhere in the U.S. besides like the inner city areas without such broad judgement. Sucks bro. And being Black doesnt help my job search at all. I didnt ask to be born like this. I am truly ashamed.

MD has the highest Black population (%) of any state outside the Deep South (Confederacy, if you will) so your white flight recommendation isn't operative.

White flight did happen to Baltimore. What we're seeing now, and it's kind of on a continuum, is Black flight out of Baltimore but more so Prince George's County (which borders DC) which already experienced white flight starting in the 1980s. The black flight is so pronounced that Charles County, which was 80% White 20 years ago is now 51% or so Black. The number of Whites has remained the same so white flight hasn't there. Yet, although it may.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
From the studies I have read, poverty and single parent homes are the biggest issues that breed crime. If us humans could come together as a whole and attack this problems at the base, I think we would see much improvement across the board.
Thank you for clarifying yourself. I was going to respond to your earlier posts, but much of what I was going to say has been said already regarding prejudice and making black people as a collective somehow responsible for every individual black person's actions. But, the sentiment you have expressed here is something I wholeheartedly agree with.

Remember this, folks: cleaning up one's act is the responsibility of the criminal him or herself and no one else.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:

Your ashamed of being born black?

Old 01-02-2015, 11:29 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Your ashamed of being born black?
I think the poster's screen name is pretty telling.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:06 PM

389 posts, read 426,659 times
Quote:

You should not be ashamed of being Black. Maybe you should pick up some books and stop listening to negative things that some white folks say about us.

The Wire IS NOT 100 percent accurate. There are some very charming aspects about Baltimore and some very charming places too. The Wire just focuses on hood life.

I live in the hood (not gonna lie and I will be leaving the hood someday). If one chooses not explore different neighborhoods here than that's on them.

My sister is a Black woman and she doesn't live in the inner city here in Baltimore. She lives in one of the few middle/upper class newer developments here in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore