Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 03:08 PM

389 posts, read 427,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I apologize to you Green_Mariner, after re-reading my last comment it comes off different than I intended. It is hard to convey your true feelings through a keyboard with out being able to show changes in tone of voice and stuff. I think you are correct, it is not your job to go into the hood and speak the truth into every thug. I apologize for sounding like I was lumping all blacks together, because that was not my intention.

My issue is not with the tone of ones skin, its with the culture in which one lives. What I mean by that is the gangster culture. Rap music has breed multiple generations of humans who think selling crack, buying rims, degrading women, and popping bottles should be ones main goal in life. This culture is DIRECTLY responsible for destroying many areas of inner cities, such as Baltimore across America. I realize that the problems above affect people of all races, unfortunately from my personal experiences though, I have seen these issues more prevalent in the black community than the white. This is in no way a personal attack, this is just my observation. Trust me, these issues are alive and brewing in the white community too, we are no better just because of the tone of our skin. On top of this we have some issues that are more prevalent in our race than blacks (pedophiles for example), so I am not putting whites on any pedestal.

From the studies I have read, poverty and single parent homes are the biggest issues that breed crime. If us humans could come together as a whole and attack this problems at the base, I think we would see much improvement across the board.
Thank you for your clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:12 PM

305 posts, read 416,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Your ashamed of being born black?
Not exactly, just ashamed of being black. By being born I meant the situation I was born into. Im just a normal ol mistake from the 90s like most kids back then, no father and all that jazz, and the upbringing sucks, (why my Mom let me be born into such a situation, I will never know, all we did was move as kids, but atleast I have fond memories of friends back then) and Im still working on digging myself out the hole. But basically, it wouldve been nice if it wasnt that way. And yes I know we all have our problems, but being the stereotype of a black guy sucks. Im unemployed, poor, not a dime to my name and literally have nothing going for me. All my friends been moved oto their new lives or actually started being productive. And yes Im working towards changing and trying, but we dont have a home right now so its a bit hard and slow paced, and no one wants to hire someone like me, that also doesnt have a address or experience. And I cant help but feel like .. just a number, basically worthless, and then I see stuff like this, and yeah, how would you feel? What I meant.

And actually my screen name is for how all my friends always told me I was different or 'weird' or whatever, cause I was the only guy in my area into games, Pokemon and nerdy stuff like that, so I rolled with Black sheep. And also my Mom always had us living in areas where I was kinda... different from everyone else. And now Im much older... I just fele this way cause I watch everyone else around get their life together, but I havent yet, so Im the Black Sheep, and I kinda let me shame motivate me to better myself.. but I can only wait by this point, like Ive been.

And its not about what others say, its about what I am right now. But yes, I guess Id fit right in if I moved to Baltimore, lol, hard to see more than bad stuff when an outsider looks in at Baltimore, its always arguing ot racial or economic or politic drama here almost everytime I check this place, and ive been doing so for like 4 years now, cause Im just curious, and originally being from Cleveland Im a Ravens fan so I get reminded of B-More and check here alot.

Its not my fault most of us act like bafoons. I cant help that, even if I could I can only do something for the ones here in ATL, not the rest of the country, so why should it be fair I get bunched in with them? I just want to work , go to College and Uni like a normal person, tired of being lonely and stuff.. Ive never held a weapon or even drugs in my life. But we all share the same image.. Sucks.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:06 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Not exactly, just ashamed of being black. By being born I meant the situation I was born into. Im just a normal ol mistake from the 90s like most kids back then, no father and all that jazz, and the upbringing sucks, (why my Mom let me be born into such a situation, I will never know, all we did was move as kids, but atleast I have fond memories of friends back then) and Im still working on digging myself out the hole. But basically, it wouldve been nice if it wasnt that way. And yes I know we all have our problems, but being the stereotype of a black guy sucks. Im unemployed, poor, not a dime to my name and literally have nothing going for me. All my friends been moved oto their new lives or actually started being productive. And yes Im working towards changing and trying, but we dont have a home right now so its a bit hard and slow paced, and no one wants to hire someone like me, that also doesnt have a address or experience. And I cant help but feel like .. just a number, basically worthless, and then I see stuff like this, and yeah, how would you feel? What I meant.

And actually my screen name is for how all my friends always told me I was different or 'weird' or whatever, cause I was the only guy in my area into games, Pokemon and nerdy stuff like that, so I rolled with Black sheep. And also my Mom always had us living in areas where I was kinda... different from everyone else. And now Im much older... I just fele this way cause I watch everyone else around get their life together, but I havent yet, so Im the Black Sheep, and I kinda let me shame motivate me to better myself.. but I can only wait by this point, like Ive been.

And its not about what others say, its about what I am right now. But yes, I guess Id fit right in if I moved to Baltimore, lol, hard to see more than bad stuff when an outsider looks in at Baltimore, its always arguing ot racial or economic or politic drama here almost everytime I check this place, and ive been doing so for like 4 years now, cause Im just curious, and originally being from Cleveland Im a Ravens fan so I get reminded of B-More and check here alot.

Its not my fault most of us act like bafoons. I cant help that, even if I could I can only do something for the ones here in ATL, not the rest of the country, so why should it be fair I get bunched in with them? I just want to work , go to College and Uni like a normal person, tired of being lonely and stuff.. Ive never held a weapon or even drugs in my life. But we all share the same image.. Sucks.

I apologize for my snap remark and judgment of you. Although I cannot offer you anything tangible, I can at least acknowledge that you seem to have a decent head on your shoulders, despite your childhood instability. That's a character trait that cannot be feigned and will serve you well in adulthood.

Unfortunately for you, the world economy is going through a terrible transition to one of a new normal of high underemployment, as we become (almost) too efficient at producing things. For lot of people who find themselves in a low paying job or even unemployed, their predicament isn't entirely their fault, despite society's overused veil of 'blame the victim' when confronted with structural problems. The reality is that for even those of us fortunate to have done well in school and chose the 'right' ($$) major, the threats of automation and outsourcing are very real, and I can certainly [edit: could] imagine one day losing my home and livelihood because of technological innovation/automation in my field.

I cannot guarantee you success, but your chances for success increase when you allow your mind and thinking to be shaped yet not dictated by your past/current negative circumstances, as you seem to have done. What you have is something to be proud of not ashamed.

Last edited by picardlx; 01-03-2015 at 05:29 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 05:39 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I apologize to you Green_Mariner, after re-reading my last comment it comes off different than I intended. It is hard to convey your true feelings through a keyboard with out being able to show changes in tone of voice and stuff. I think you are correct, it is not your job to go into the hood and speak the truth into every thug. I apologize for sounding like I was lumping all blacks together, because that was not my intention.

My issue is not with the tone of ones skin, its with the culture in which one lives. What I mean by that is the gangster culture. Rap music has breed multiple generations of humans who think selling crack, buying rims, degrading women, and popping bottles should be ones main goal in life. This culture is DIRECTLY responsible for destroying many areas of inner cities, such as Baltimore across America. I realize that the problems above affect people of all races, unfortunately from my personal experiences though, I have seen these issues more prevalent in the black community than the white. This is in no way a personal attack, this is just my observation. Trust me, these issues are alive and brewing in the white community too, we are no better just because of the tone of our skin. On top of this we have some issues that are more prevalent in our race than blacks (pedophiles for example), so I am not putting whites on any pedestal.

From the studies I have read, poverty and single parent homes are the biggest issues that breed crime. If us humans could come together as a whole and attack this problems at the base, I think we would see much improvement across the board.
Accepted.

I am aware of the issues that have taken place among a specific segment of the Black population. I have a few relatives on both sides of my family who have lived it.

For me, the idea should be that a person takes responsibility for his or her actions. The Black people who are doing the right things can only do so much. In many cases, there are those that do try to speak the truth into thugs and hood rats. The ends results are often that of ridicule, defiance, and the insults such as "Uncle Tom" to name a few. I did feel that there was a better way to say these things. What bothered me more than anything was how it came off as nothing but anger.

There is one thing I want to point out when it comes to hip hop. Many of the issues that were taking place in the inner city were taking place before hip hop and rap even came around. Rap music originally started out as socially conscious music, and having a good time. When rappers started getting paid alot of money to rap about being violent, selling drugs, and objectifying women, well, the rest is history. Rap music provided a medium for the things that were already there, the drugs, violence, and the mysogyny. Alot of rap music mainly glorifies it. The irony is that the main consumers of such music are mainly suburbanites, people who almost never set foot in the ghetto.

One can find pedophilia among Black individuals. There is a study out that many Black women have been molested before turning 18.

And the violence among Whites, I've seen it living in Georgia. I've been on the receiving end of it. I've also been on the receiving end of Black on Black violence.

One can be poor without being violent. However, I would definitely agree that the singe parent home environment isn't helpful, particularly when the case is that of a child born out of wedlock and the father isn't there.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
Possibly the most racist anti-black thread I've ever read.

And if you are going to quote "statistics" at least follow up with actual links and websites.

That said...

Someone has extreme mommy issues.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:19 PM

206 posts, read 798,007 times
There are actually more Latino's in the USA than black people.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
There are actually more Latino's in the USA than black people.

There are also more Black males coming from broken homes(particularly with no father), more people in the underclass. Most of this is an underclass problem. A better question is: What is going on with the underclass segment of the Black population? How hard is that to see?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Come on now?!! You can be intellectually honest with me and leave all that political correctness at home.

Lol! I mean..I'm Black and I'm somewhat upset that Baltimore is a Black city at times.

I used to live near Baltimore for three years, and not once did I view it in these terms.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I used to live near Baltimore for three years, and not once did I view it in these terms.
As well you should not view it in those terms. Being a majority Black city should not be upsetting. One should be more concerned about crime and quality of life than what percentage of the population is Black. Is there a high proportion of crime coming from the Black population? Yes. Statistics bear this out. That being said, the vast majority of that crime is related to the underclass segment of the Black population.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 PM

206 posts, read 798,007 times
Default Enough Already

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
As well you should not view it in those terms. Being a majority Black city should not be upsetting. One should be more concerned about crime and quality of life than what percentage of the population is Black. Is there a high proportion of crime coming from the Black population? Yes. Statistics bear this out. That being said, the vast majority of that crime is related to the underclass segment of the Black population.
You go on and on Mariner. Do you think white people view all black people in the same light? Of course white people know all the violence and criminal activity comes from a small percentage of blacks. You're making it out as if all blacks are grouped together and that is not the case. I wouldn't treat my black co-workers differently than white co-workers. However, I could give a **** about those small groups of blacks that are causing all the issues. There's poor people from EVERY color, but why don't they commit crimes at extraordinary rates? Why are the poor black people so violent and uncivilized? This is the million dollar question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore