Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 04:10 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
"the folks I mentioned earned their way".......
.....by being toadies to the GOP. Correct, Mr. Houseman?
Which part of "e-a-r-n" don't you understand? Oh, I guess that's a stupid question.

Yeah, Ben Carson became a world renowned pediatric brain surgeon, and Cain a successful businessman, and and Williams and Sowell highly-respected philosophers and economists by sucking up to the GOP.

Wish I had gone that route instead of being a registered democrat for 48 yrs. (1965-2013).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 09:18 AM

206 posts, read 798,179 times
Baltimore will ALWAYS be black unless developers try to drive them out and if they did that the media would create a firestorm. Black people continue to fail because they're poor and uneducated. Poor and uneducated people don't know how to grow as human beings. Prisons and jails are businesses. Our government pays them to house our criminals. One way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. There's a liquor store on every corner in the poor neighborhoods which feeds the cycle. I still find it fascinating how black people, who make up only 12% of our country's population continue to find a way to draw attention to themselves. People are hating blacks more than ever. Why not just blend in like Mexicans and Asians?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:07 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
Baltimore will ALWAYS be black unless developers try to drive them out and if they did that the media would create a firestorm. Black people continue to fail because they're poor and uneducated. Poor and uneducated people don't know how to grow as human beings. Prisons and jails are businesses. Our government pays them to house our criminals. One way to fix this is to stop committing crimes. There's a liquor store on every corner in the poor neighborhoods which feeds the cycle. I still find it fascinating how black people, who make up only 12% of our country's population continue to find a way to draw attention to themselves. People are hating blacks more than ever. Why not just blend in like Mexicans and Asians?
Exactly...All 13% of the Black American population is poor, uneducated, and have an uncontrollable tendency to violence without a doubt. Perhaps us Black Americans should be part of "The Final Solution" as well.....Don't you think?

Old 12-21-2014, 06:17 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,332 times
I don't think people nessasaarly hate black people in the city. Many are good folks and can't help their final status. I believe some resentment comes from two things: 1) Crime and 2) Not taking care of their neighborhood's. This could explain why the vast difference in real estate prices among neighborhoods. The issue is more complex and I think it's more to do so with the lack of trust in our city government. Very little gets done.. especially in the black community ironically since few votes.. Community relations with the police are poor with a low rate of homicide closures, although much of this is suspect, since people just don't like the police. If the entire city looked like Fells Point the city would be popular. But until sometime we can walk to Belvedere Square without the risk of being robbed, the city will be doomed by its reputation.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I don't think people nessasaarly hate (poor) people in the city.
Many are good folks and can't help their final status.
This acceptance of or even preference for that "can't help it" perspective is the common
dividing line of attitudes about the results these poor people have gotten in life.

Quote:
I believe some resentment comes from two things:
1) Crime and 2) Not taking care of their neighborhood's.
Those two are at the top of the list of symptoms.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 AM

673 posts, read 1,187,948 times
You guys keep blaming poor blacks in Baltimore for the problems, when yet there are poor white neighborhoods in the city with just as much crime, drugs, prostitutes, and liquor stores. Pigtown, Carrolton Ridge, Brooklyn, Curtis Bay are just as bad as poor black hoods like Sandtown, Upton, McElderly Park etc. The real problem is the city can't get a grip on its vacant properties, and has no desire to do so unless the area is beyond disrepair. The city generally can't afford to fix them up, or demolish the vacants. Vacant properties attract crime and all the negatives that come with it regardless of what the majority race in the area is. Lets also not forget that Baltimore was a segregated city. Prior to 1960 city zoning codes required Blacks to live off or behind main streets/avenues, forcing blacks to live in isolated enclaves with limited access to neccessary services. This further drove black neighborhoods into decline and isolation leading to decades of neglect and housing abandonment. So in reality it's not the Blacks fault that the poor neighborhoods are the way they are currently. Poor city planning, zoning laws, and the drug trade is what destroyed these neighborhoods.

FYI drugs like heroin have been in Baltimore since the mid 1800's when the city was majority white.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:38 PM

777 posts, read 881,870 times
"But anyone who would automatically label successful black people as Uncle Toms, simply because they chose not to buy into the old BS that they can only succeed if the white man allows them to......."

They can't help but succeed only if the white man allows.....
since most of them work or are supervised by the white man.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:10 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Why would I be upset? Baltimore is definitely a black city. Who cares? I feel the same way about Baltimore being a black city as I feel about Boston being almost entirely White.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This acceptance of or even preference for that "can't help it" perspective is the common
dividing line of attitudes about the results these poor people have gotten in life.
What does this have to do with people enjoying the black presence of the city?

Those two are at the top of the list of symptoms.[/quote]

What ever we call it is the main concerns for the lack of growth in the city and the topics of new threads on the forum.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Only because less people live there. If you packed all of Appalachia into a place the size of Baltimore, I'd be willing to bet the crime rates would be similar.

Breaking Bad? Winter's Bone (If you haven't heard of it, look it up. Features Jennifer Lawrence before she was all over the place. Highly recommend.)? Don't try to act like rural white poverty does not breed crime.

Like I've said on this forum umpteen times before (and am growing sick of repeating), it is not urbanness, blackness, liberalism, or any other red herring you want to throw out there that breeds crime. It's poverty. Plain and simple. And poverty exists no matter what party is in charge.
Nice thesis to justify 60+ years of failed liberal policies in the City of Baltimore. Although it might help you sleep at night, it's nonsense. We don't know what would happen if conservatives governed Baltimore because it's never happened in modern times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore