Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 PM

581 posts, read 968,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have found people in the NY metro area to be the friendliest in the country. Manhattan people are the friendliest of them all.
I've found folks from NYC to be friendly until I mention that I've never been to NYC. Then they suddenly get really condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,337 times
Because there's too many people like Infinitehights and steppenthrax hanging around!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 92,170 times
Some places just don't have good customer service, but I think the way people get treated is sadly often filter through various sexist/racist/biased lenses. I mean, even something as simply as being in a very busy store, when it's such that you're constantly almost crashing into people or them you, my dad was complaining about how rude people are about that, how they never say "sorry" or anything, and I was surprised, because people almost always apologize and are nice about that with me. I guess that may be the difference of middle age male vs young female…I think especially when men almost crash into me with their carts, there's still a bit of a sense of chivalry or something where it's somehow worse because I'm female and they feel they should apologize, whereas, I guess if they do it to another guy, not so much.

And of course, I know well enough that the police are friendlier to me, being a young white female, and I would definitely not have the same treatment if I were a young black male. There's definitely times I've probably ended up trespassing going around just exploring and taking film photos, and no one ever yells at me or calls the cops, likely because I don't fit people's stereotypical idea of a "suspicious" individual.

And it sucks, because of course, people should be given good customer service regardless of their race, age, gender, etc, but sadly that's now how it works.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,480 times
In general I received adequate if not good customer service, sometimes excellent. One thing I always do - always use good manners, polite language and thank people. This goes a long way - with everyone, disarms them. Even if the other party is not as polite as hoped, there is no harm in modeling preferred behavior. One has to give respect to get respect.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:50 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
lmao i've spent time plenty of maryland people, and always thought they were TOO nice. a bit slow and over friendly, almost southern like. if you think people in MD are rude, please avoid north jersey
Quote:
I have found people in the NY metro area to be the friendliest in the country. Manhattan people are the friendliest of them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
you're right. most manhattan people are transplants from all over the country. or extremely educated individuals. so they tend to be nicer. but try going to staten island or Bayonne NJ. deffinitely NOT the friendliest people around
I am form North Jersey. Was born and raised there. And spent time in Manhattan regularly. Baltimore is the friendliest city on Earth compared to those places. People from North Jersey are incredibly rude and elitist, as a lot of them are commuting to Wall Street. They will make an instant snap judgement about you based upon your appearance (and what that conveys about how much money you make).

In my experience, people from Manhattan are not straight up rude like the NYC suburbs, but they are aloof. Don't expect to be greeted on the street. Everyone is too busy to stop and chat. I had to get used to being wished "Good morning/afternoon/evening" while walking around after I moved to Baltimore because if someone said that in Manhattan, it would be odd and usually the response would be some sort of confused "Are you talking to me?" reaction.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
Quote:
That's surprising. I thought New Yawkers had the reputation of being flip, too-forward, and brusque. In general smart a$$iz. Picture if you will Judge Judy. Certainly the two of my co-workers from the Big Apple fit that description.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:24 PM

95 posts, read 170,866 times
Living in the South for the past 3 years and recently travelling back north, I've noticed that the farther north you go, the unfriendlier your service gets - particularly in retail and fast food. Folks seem indifferent to unfriendly/mildly rude in Virginia and Maryland to downright rude and impatient in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, and New York.

One big difference is in healthcare, however. I've found the medical assistants and providers in NC to be rude/not so bright compared to the professionalism and warmth of the assistants and providers at Johns Hopkins. I never realized how spoiled by the world class healthcare services we had in Baltimore until we had to deal with the healthcare in Western NC.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 PM

687 posts, read 915,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1215 View Post
...and this one time i was at a drive thru at a mcdonalds and as i was waiting for someone to take my order all i was greeted with was a "what chu want? in a real low ghetto unprofessional way so i just let it go no big deal but each item i was ordering this african american lady seemed really pissed that i was ordering like it was bothering her and she kept rolling her eyes and giving me a hateful attitude so i just stopped ordering...

Wait. That's happened to you only once?

I've been here for 24 of my 28 years (went to NC for awhile) and this is seems to be the standard. Maryland certainly sets a low bar, but I guess that happens anywhere entitlement abounds.

I've gotten the "Wut!" or "wuhchu wun" tone before.

Oh I'm sorry Mrs. young black cashier, did I interrupt you on your cell phone playing a game or texting to your friend while you're supposed to be working? I'm sorry if my coming to your register bothers you, I guess I'm the problem here.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 PM

214 posts, read 281,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1215 View Post
ive been living here for four years now and it seems that everywhere i go i feel like people hate you and they want you to die as if they have a personal issue with you and this one time i was at a drive thru at a mcdonalds and as i was waiting for someone to take my order all i was greeted with was a "what chu want? in a real low ghetto unprofessional way so i just let it go no big deal but each item i was ordering this african american lady seemed really pissed that i was ordering like it was bothering her and she kept rolling her eyes and giving me a hateful attitude so i just stopped ordering and said just nevermind its cool i dont want to bother you by making you do your job ma'am and drove off seems like its like that everywhere i go
Who expects 1st class service at Mickey D's??? Not getting what that has to do with Maryland. Sounds like something that happens at ANY mickey d's ANYwhere.

But yea Maryland has it's problems. But this is a McDonald's rant not MD.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
Naw, you don't know me to say such a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1 View Post
Because there's too many people like Infinitehights and steppenthrax hanging around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore