Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 PM

179 posts, read 356,139 times

Advertisements

Trying to expand my knowledge of the area before going out there for a house hunting trip in 3 weeks. I will work in Hunt Valley and the station is literally STEPS away from work.

Any communities south of Towson worth looking at that would be very close to a LR station? Looking for good schools.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
I will work in Hunt Valley and the station is literally STEPS away from work.
Any communities south of Towson worth looking at that would be very close to a LR station?
Almost immediately south of Towson you cross the line into Baltimore City.

Quote:
Looking for good (public) schools.
We know. That's why everyone keeps telling you to stay above Towson.
Attached Thumbnails
Any communities near the Light Rail route worth looking at?-baltimore-map.jpg  

Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,511 times
If you're looking for communities along the light rail with good schools I would definitely stay north of Baltimore.

Baltimore city schools are well known for being sub-par. North County and Glen Burnie HS in Anne Arundel county really aren't much better.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,811 times
Towson schools are among the best in the metro area. The area between Towson (beltway) and the Baltimore City line and along York Road and Charles Street is a highly regarded area to live. But it won't be walkable to the light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Mount Washington and the Cold Spring stops comes to mind. I don't know what the houses look like very near the Falls Road stop, but you may want to check those out. Although I had considered it close in my own home search, I would throw in Hampden -- if you're willing to get a bit of exercise walking to the Woodberry station (although the walk has many steep slopes and would be dangerous in freezing rain/icy weather).

Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
There are communities within a short distance of the Lutherville/Timonium light rail stops with good schools. Some may be even walking distance if you don't mind a good walk.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Mount Washington and the Cold Spring stops comes to mind. I don't know what the houses look like very near the Falls Road stop, but you may want to check those out. Although I had considered it close in my own home search, I would throw in Hampden -- if you're willing to get a bit of exercise walking to the Woodberry station (although the walk has many steep slopes and would be dangerous in freezing rain/icy weather).
How old are your children? Mount Washington Elementary School is a very good school, from what I hear.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
How old are your children? Mount Washington Elementary School is a very good school, from what I hear.
They're elementary school aged.

I see "pockets" of great public schools in Baltimore (city). I will certainly look at MWES and houses for sale in that area, thank you!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Awesome map, thank you LOLOLOL

Old 01-30-2015, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,544 times
Check out Mt Washington for sure, MWES (k-8) is one of the top public schools in the city, if not the state. While I no longer live in Mt Washington (after college I moved closer to downtown), it really is a great neighborhood.

Here are some links which may help you out:

How to Buy Real Estate in Mt Washington

Why Mt Washington is the Coolest Neighborhood in Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore