Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.. just thought it was neat

This drone footage of Baltimore is breathtaking - Technical.ly Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 PM

478 posts, read 809,667 times
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-21-2015, 12:57 PM

42 posts, read 56,539 times
Saw it on facebook a while back...It's videos like these that make me wanna move to the City

Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM

Videos like that make me want to buy one myself. Imagine flying that thing around Mt Rainier, for example. Or the Grand Canyon. If you hook up the camera to a screen in front of you, you could literally explore nooks and crannies that perhaps no person has ever stood on with your drone while watching and driving down below. That would be amazing.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Videos like that make me want to buy one myself. Imagine flying that thing around Mt Rainier, for example. Or the Grand Canyon. If you hook up the camera to a screen in front of you, you could literally explore nooks and crannies that perhaps no person has ever stood on with your drone while watching and driving down below. That would be amazing.

What are the laws or rules surrounding flying one of these things? The flight over Camden Yards strikes me particularly odd because you could hover around up their and watch the game ...or worse still if it flies over the stadium.. it could become a hazard.. I guess there are rules about that though somewhere.

The flight over the City streets also strikes me as bold...since if it got out of control it could injure someone below

I was on the MARC train sitting in West Baltimore and saw a rather large drone hovering over HWY 40..Several Passengers noticed it as well. We collectively assumed that the BPD or MTA Police were using them to patrol the City and or areas around the station.. which seems inevidable given this level of technology.. If they werent using it "officially" they were definately experimenting with it for sure.....

Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 PM

There is definitely potential for problems I agree, especially in the city. Not sure what the rules would be about flying one in a wilderness or park area either.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
They really should be banned from private use. Drones have had several close calls with commercial jetliners in the airspace over NYC, particularly with planes approaching JFK.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 PM

47 posts, read 78,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
What are the laws or rules surrounding flying one of these things? The flight over Camden Yards strikes me particularly odd because you could hover around up their and watch the game ...or worse still if it flies over the stadium.. it could become a hazard.. I guess there are rules about that though somewhere.

The flight over the City streets also strikes me as bold...since if it got out of control it could injure someone below

I was on the MARC train sitting in West Baltimore and saw a rather large drone hovering over HWY 40..Several Passengers noticed it as well. We collectively assumed that the BPD or MTA Police were using them to patrol the City and or areas around the station.. which seems inevidable given this level of technology.. If they werent using it "officially" they were definately experimenting with it for sure.....
Maybe I can answer some of your questions as I have flown one of these in various locations of interest, including Camden Yards, Annapolis, Sparrows Point, Fort Carroll, etc.

That 4K video was created with a DJI Phantom 2 quadcopter with a GoPro Hero4 mounted on it. I have a very similar set up. I use the integrated camera instead of the Hero4. Shooting in 4K would produce a higher quality video but I'm not certain that I would call it a huge difference, especially for Youtube video. Here is another Baltimore drone video I created:
Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower = http://youtu.be/ixUuTGDIU3c

The television program 60 Minutes has aired at least one story about these so-called drones which go by a variety of names such as UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle), or quadcopter. I have seen a lot of mis-information and speculation about these drone/UAVs. I prefer to call it a UAV because the drone word conjures up images of military aircraft. This is definitely not that.

The laws and rules governing the UAV are evolving. It is difficult to keep up with the all rules and I frequently check the FAA website. Federal laws are still being hammered out and no doubt the laws will change. But in general FAA guidelines for non-commercial purposes say to keep the UAV altitude under 400 feet. The current software that drives many of these UAVs will prevent a private citizen from flying high around airports. It uses GPS to figure all that out.

As for hovering around a sports venue and watching the game... that is possible but seems like a waste because the flight time is usually limited to less than 25 minutes due to the battery. And there is a recent FAA rule restricting UAV/drone usage for one hour before and after events at sporting venues with 30,000 or more seating capacity.... so I probably could not get that shot (attached) of Camden yards now.

If these small hobby-level drones are banned from private use I would call that overkill. But at the same time you want to see these UAVs in the hands of experienced or licensed adults if someone is flying around people. As for privacy - I assure you, from an altitude above 150 feet there is no way I could identify an individual unless you have fluorescent hair. Privacy should be a concern up to a point. After all, Google has provided the ability to look into everyone's backyard for many years.
Attached Thumbnails
Drone over Baltimore (Video Footage)-camden_yards_2014.jpg  

Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcoxusa View Post
Maybe I can answer some of your questions as I have flown one of these in various locations of interest, including Camden Yards, Annapolis, Sparrows Point, Fort Carroll, etc.

That 4K video was created with a DJI Phantom 2 quadcopter with a GoPro Hero4 mounted on it. I have a very similar set up. I use the integrated camera instead of the Hero4. Shooting in 4K would produce a higher quality video but I'm not certain that I would call it a huge difference, especially for Youtube video. Here is another Baltimore drone video I created:
Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower = http://youtu.be/ixUuTGDIU3c

The television program 60 Minutes has aired at least one story about these so-called drones which go by a variety of names such as UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle), or quadcopter. I have seen a lot of mis-information and speculation about these drone/UAVs. I prefer to call it a UAV because the drone word conjures up images of military aircraft. This is definitely not that.

The laws and rules governing the UAV are evolving. It is difficult to keep up with the all rules and I frequently check the FAA website. Federal laws are still being hammered out and no doubt the laws will change. But in general FAA guidelines for non-commercial purposes say to keep the UAV altitude under 400 feet. The current software that drives many of these UAVs will prevent a private citizen from flying high around airports. It uses GPS to figure all that out.

As for hovering around a sports venue and watching the game... that is possible but seems like a waste because the flight time is usually limited to less than 25 minutes due to the battery. And there is a recent FAA rule restricting UAV/drone usage for one hour before and after events at sporting venues with 30,000 or more seating capacity.... so I probably could not get that shot (attached) of Camden yards now.

If these small hobby-level drones are banned from private use I would call that overkill. But at the same time you want to see these UAVs in the hands of experienced or licensed adults if someone is flying around people. As for privacy - I assure you, from an altitude above 150 feet there is no way I could identify an individual unless you have fluorescent hair. Privacy should be a concern up to a point. After all, Google has provided the ability to look into everyone's backyard for many years.

Wow.. thanks for sharing.. I guess I wonder what happens if one of these things falls out of the sky and into traffic or distracts drivers who look up only to rear end the person in front of them...

In terms of Drone vs UAV...just like anything else.. in the wrong hands these things could be deadly an used for purposes that I wont post here.. but there are some pretty sick people out there that could find ways to harm people using these things....

Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
I don't worry about one of these falling out of the sky any more than I worry about an airplane falling out of the sky, but maybe I should.

Drone Lands Inside White House Grounds - NBC News

Secret Service: 'Quadcopter' drone crashed onto White House grounds | Fox News

They are also going to have to work on that software that will prevent a private citizen from flying high around airports. The Alitalia pilot they interviewed when they were investigating the near misses in the NYC area said he had to change course quickly to avoid hitting a drone, and still he missed it by only a few feet.

Like I said in the post above, they really need to be banned from private use, and restricted to military use only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: