Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times

Advertisements

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-most...232326581.html

Another accolade for my dear ol' Bawlmer.

DC made the list too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 AM

110 posts, read 202,827 times
Not surprised. I've seen too many drivers this past week driving with their lights OFF at 7pm.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
Baltimore has some of the worst drivers, period. It doesn't matter what the weather is. Bad driving annoys me to no end.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
Yes. Although I see people running red lights year round (after a light turns red, particularly within the city, there are very frequently two or even three cars that try to gun it through--a behavior that feels less common to me in other large cities that I've driven in)

Old 01-28-2015, 06:33 AM

^^^Agreed. I see so many drivers get cut off by those who make last minute lane changes. I almost never hear a horn.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 AM

850 posts, read 1,131,916 times
Baltimore had a major snow storm about 4 years ago (don't remember the name). But the city was gridlocked. Usually with any major city you can still run public transit no matter how bad the snow is (train/subway). But for some reason in Baltimore the trains and subway shut down for several days.

When the snow storm started they thought (MTA) that they needed to reduce train usage and operate the trains in "one track mode". As a result the snow collected on the tracks and caused trains to come to a hault.

What they failed to realize is that the train systems they purchased were designed so that as they rode along the track it would "automatically clear the track!!!!!! If they ran the train at normal operating times they could have had it continually running throught the day and people might have been able to make it to work!!!! They were actually supposed to run the trains more often and maybe additional trains on the track. This would have kept the tracks clear....

Baltimore, The city that reads!!!!!!!!!!! (their train manuals).

Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM

I wish there was something that could be done in addition to the speed cameras. Even though its not regulated like speeding, I wish there could be penalties for reckless lane changes and failing to use your turn signal.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
The police need to enforce wreck less as well as slow driving as well as driving and talking on the cellphone. That's the only thing that will change the bad behavior. I've also noticed the bad driving is all over Baltimore City and County, so people are being taught bad driving habits. Also in my observation, mostly young, inexperienced drivers who talk on their phones, and drive all the time and the 3-4 minute traffic lights creates stagnant driving or wreck less driving. If you sit at a light more than a minute, once it turns green, now you drive a little faster to either catch the next couple of lights or to make up time. OR, you continue to drive 10-15 miles an hour on the phone, cause you're already on the phone, so the green light won't get you off the phone. I noticed that when it rains people tend to drive faster and more wreck less. Whew!

Ok my soapbox. I hate hate hate slow distracted drivers. I'm not wreck less but maybe a little more aggressive than most.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Drivers in Baltimore seem to drive better in the snow than they drive the rain from my experience. However, I will say that in the early mornings, before rush hour, everyone literally doing 90 mph. Also, public transit shuts down in most places when it gets a ton of snow. They shut down most of NJ and NYC because of Juno.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Police need to enforce crosswalk pedestrian right-of-way more than anything. We almost need crossing guards at every intersection, and I'm not even talking about for kids going to school, but for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: