Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a young professional female looking for apts in Owings Mills MD. I am moving from COlumbus OH. I am kind of scared about the area. It would greatly help if someone can tell me where I can live safely. I do not have a car right now but will get one soon. Is there public transport withing OM? ( buses)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Owings Mills is a fairly safe area. Anywhere around "Newtown" and the surrounding area is fine. There is a Metro that will take you downtown neare the Owings Mills Mall. The Mall itself is a dinosaur however there are plans to re-energize the area around the Metro Station with new retail, housing, etc. I'm not very familiar with Columbus but bear in mind that Baltimore City is number 2 in the country for violent crime. Although Owings Mills is outside the city, it is NOT crime free; however, property crime and violent crime is not common. You do want a car here. Although you have the Metro, it is limited to getting you from Owings Mills to downtown and back, you cannot transfer to get to other areas around the city. Good luck with the move.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default A car is a must

Yes, if you relocate to any of the Baltimore suburbs, you will need a car.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 PM

222 posts, read 1,053,971 times
I live in a condo in the area of Reiserstown Rd and Greenspring Valley rd. There are several apt complexes in the area. We have had no issues except my DH's BMW was broken into along with a few other BMWs in the area. The area is even safe at night when I walk my dog. Some friends lives in a complex at Reiserstown and Avalon Ln I think and they are also very happy with it. These areas are in the older area.

I also had a friend who lived in Pikesville near 695 and was happy there - no safety issues.

HTH!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:27 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times
Owings Mills is quite scary. Lots of houses that look alike. Without a car you're essentially trapped in your vinyl pod. The technology of sidewalks hasn't reached those far fringes of the 'burbs (if they have, they don't really connect with anything).

Old 12-13-2007, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 11,346 times
Default bigbear

Owings Mills is safe,Ihave been here for a year.Where are going to be working.Iam a professional myself,inthe middle of a seperation. Iam thinling about renting out the second bedroom for$ 600.00 per month Anyway welcome to MD

Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 PM

139 posts, read 923,791 times
owings mills is mainly safe but its some hot spots where you have kids wilding out off of reistertown rd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore