Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times

Advertisements

What are your intelligent thoughts on this subject matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
What are your intelligent thoughts on this subject matter?
I highly doubt Baltimore will ever host a Superbowl for these reasons:

1) Its evident the NFL and ESPN do not care for Baltimore - look at the history with the Colts leaving and Modell arriving, the general media coverage outside of Baltimore, how some teams like Dallas and New England are favored. Frankly, the NFL should not be a non-profit, but that is another whole topic.

2) I doubt the federal government or NSA would want, encourage or allow such a big, worldwide media opportunity (yes, people in other countries watch the Superbowl) due to possible terror threat. If the WH can't stop a $400 drone driven by a drunk from landing there, how woudl it dissaude radical malcontents from taking the opportunity to make a huge mess close to the seat of power?

3) the majority of Superbowls have been played in warm climates; folks want to make a vacation out of it (personally I think it should be in a cold climate, after all - that is the season of the sport).

4) Baltimore does not have the hotel room capacity to really capitalize on hosting an event of Superbowl size.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 AM

"..Its evident the NFL and ESPN do not care for Baltimore..."

*I keep hearing people say this, but, I really don't understand what they mean that these entities don't care so much about Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I highly doubt Baltimore will ever host a Superbowl for these reasons:

1) Its evident the NFL and ESPN do not care for Baltimore - look at the history with the Colts leaving and Modell arriving, the general media coverage outside of Baltimore, how some teams like Dallas and New England are favored. Frankly, the NFL should not be a non-profit, but that is another whole topic.

2) I doubt the federal government or NSA would want, encourage or allow such a big, worldwide media opportunity (yes, people in other countries watch the Superbowl) due to possible terror threat. If the WH can't stop a $400 drone driven by a drunk from landing there, how woudl it dissaude radical malcontents from taking the opportunity to make a huge mess close to the seat of power?

3) the majority of Superbowls have been played in warm climates; folks want to make a vacation out of it (personally I think it should be in a cold climate, after all - that is the season of the sport).

4) Baltimore does not have the hotel room capacity to really capitalize on hosting an event of Superbowl size.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Quote:
"..Its evident the NFL and ESPN do not care for Baltimore..."

*I keep hearing people say this, but, I really don't understand what they mean that these entities don't care so much about Baltimore.
Ever watch ESPN coverage/highlights of games? Notice who they spotlight and who they don't? - You'd have to watch a fair amount of football and pre/post game coverage over time to notice this, but it is there. Remember NFL blocking earlier attempts of Baltimore to regain a team?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:53 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,037 times
The security is not an issue. Baltimore doesn't have the attractions or the enough hotel rooms.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM

What about D.C. and surrounding hotels in the Baltimore/Washington suburbs. Laurel has hotels, Owings Mills, Hunt Valley, Towson?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
The security is not an issue. Baltimore doesn't have the attractions or the enough hotel rooms.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 AM

Good point! Again, a few people have reiterated the points you're making. Is the NFL making this a personal or business thing ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Ever watch ESPN coverage/highlights of games? Notice who they spotlight and who they don't? - You'd have to watch a fair amount of football and pre/post game coverage over time to notice this, but it is there. Remember NFL blocking earlier attempts of Baltimore to regain a team?

Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 AM

i think most Superbowls are in warmer climates, right? I think DC is building another football stadium, where the current one is is not close to hotels, attractions etc. even though it's off 495. But there was one at the Meadowlands, so there goes my warm weather argument.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,288 times
Quote:
What about D.C. and surrounding hotels in the Baltimore/Washington suburbs. Laurel has hotels, Owings Mills, Hunt Valley, Towson?!!
If Baltimore does have a super bowl, can you imagine the traffic flowing into the city that day? They certainly wouldn't want to have one in D.C., too many security concerns.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Again, security is not an issue. This region is used to large crowds and can handle the crowds. I think the infrastructure and capacity/attractions are the concern. DC/Snyder do want to host a Super Bowl, I know that much. Baltimore has two stadiums close to each other on a highway that would be terribly congested, but it is what it is. The capacity of hotel rooms and attractions would be an issue maybe. I don't know how cities are selected to host.

The reason Boston was selected for 2024? Olympics because of the large amount of available hotel rooms and that the city had over 100 colleges/ universities that have stadiums and infrastructure already in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore