Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 05:09 PM

129 posts, read 163,350 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a little research on the cost of living and was wondering how much folks spend per week on groceries? Do you buy largely organic? How many people does your budget cover? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,433 times
I usually spend between $200-$300 a month on groceries, so I guess that equates to between $50-$75 a week. My budget mostly covers just me, although I do live with a roommate and we share some essentials (bread, milk, eggs, etc) and usually just determine which essentials we need that shopping trip and divide them up between us.

I don't tend to buy organic at the grocery store, although when the Famers Market is in season (so April-December) we buy pretty much all of our produce there and it does reduce costs.

FYI, I shop at the Safeway in Canton.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 AM

110 posts, read 202,910 times
I spend around 150 at ShopRite, maybe 200-250 at Safeway in Towson.

That doesn't count my odd trips to Eddie's Market.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
This is an interesting incentive.. but I dont know if it goes far enought to get a new grocer to say open in the middle of Park Heights or Sandtown/Harlem Park. What is preventing these stores from going into these areas now? I am sure the list is long on both the public safety and the buying power spectrum. I think the City should encourage more mixed use development with residential on top of retail. Some of the developments along Pennsy Ave in Penn North are new apartment buildings with little to no retail space on the first floor. To me, that is a missed opportunity to create small grocers or convenience type stores that could sell products in low in come neighborhoods. Many neighborhoods may not warrant a Giant or a Safeway but could support a smaller boutique style grocer who could keep their prices low if the City provided this incentive along with others to the developer and MADE SURE that they charged pricess that poorer people could afford along with better quality. Again, now we are creeping into the free markets because if the City subsidizes these types of operations.. it could put your typical corner store out of business.. and they will likely cry foul and now you have another vacant store front as well.. just down the street from the shiny new building with ground floor shopping.

City wants to give supermarkets a tax break to locate in food deserts, restrict tax sales - Baltimore Sun#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: