Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:32 PM

690 posts, read 1,010,637 times

Advertisements

Cool little pic from the Daily Record:

This picture is amazing to me for the sheer fact that it barely shows any of the CBD, it's almost like Harbor East/Harbor Point are their own cities from that angle. Just think if they would add two buildings between downtown and harbor east..and combine them...also enjoy that view because if harbor point is built out as planned in about 5 years exelon building won't even be visible on the skyline. With the construction of a new tallest starting soon 414 Light Street and Mechanic Towers the skyline will look dramatically different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:53 PM

675 posts, read 726,586 times
If you look at web pages that tell you where to retire or visit on vacation they more or less say stay away. To quote the say crime in Baltimore is"very high" and taxes are also "very high" Of course these two things are related.

Last edited by debold4215; 07-07-2015 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: added words

Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 AM

478 posts, read 811,372 times
Quote:
If you look at web pages that tell you where to retire or visit on vacation they more or less say stay away. To quote the say crime in Baltimore is"very high" and taxes are also "very high" Of course these two things are related.
Switzerland? Sweden? Low-crime parts of Maryland? Crime has many causes, but taxes aren't one.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
I sure hope that what has been posted is real. It would be nice to see a renaissance here in Baltimore. I don't even care if some of the development requires some tax payers money. I agree with another post that indicated that more has to be done with areas west of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I e-mailed the Downtown Partnership people about our some of our taller projects and their status as well as a question about any new arena talk and public transportation talk going on now.
Here is the response I got:

"Hi Steve,

Thanks for e-mailing. Please see my responses in red.

1.) What is the status of 5 skyscrapers that are to be built in the city's core:
a.) 300 East Pratt Street? – Comstock, a development team out of VA, is working on design (go back to UDARP in September for, potentially, final design approval) and locking in final financing on a large tower that will include retail, parking, hotel and residential.
b.) 414 Light Street – Development team is gearing up to start construction as early as the end of summer.
c.) 1 Light Street – Site prep work should start within the next month. Plans include office, parking, residential and retail.
d.) 325 w. Baltimore Street – Demolition could start soon, and I would anticipate seeing it happen by the end of the summer
e.) Mechanic Theater tower – Demolition 90% complete of former theater; developer is now excavating the garage and digging down additional levels to accommodate more underground parking.

2.) Is there still any new arena conversation going on? And if so, anything promising? The Mayor’s Office and BDC are leading this conversation, and, while we are certainly at the table, unfortunately it is not on ours to comment on. I think the best I can say is that the proposals that have been in the press are under consideration, as is the possibility of rebuilding at the current site.

3.) Finally, has there ever been any conversation about some type of elevated train public transportation as opposed to the now defunct red line? Monorail anyone? Street cars? BRT? I think it’s too early to say what new conversations will emerge as forerunners post-red line. Certainly all of these have been discussed at one point or another.

Best,
Mackenzie"
From skyscrapercity Baltimore development forum

Old 01-28-2016, 03:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,954,322 times
Under Armour has released renderings of their new campus at Port Covington. It's quite awesome.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,954,322 times
And since I have not posted in this thread in a while. The 48 story 300 E Pratt and 44 story 414 Light Street towers should start construction this year.

300 E Pratt

414 Light Street

Old 01-28-2016, 04:34 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,516,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And since I have not posted in this thread in a while. The 48 story 300 E Pratt and 44 story 414 Light Street towers should start construction this year.
I hope you are right, but I am somewhat skeptical. Do you have any inside information? If I knew anything about hacking, I would hack into the city permits database to find the ones that are being processed but not yet issued. Not that I would ever really do that, of course...

Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,097,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorjoek View Post
Something I've always been wondering for awhile is which do you think IS the tallest building in the skyline? My guess when looking at skyline pictures is that it's either the World Trade Tower or Transamerica.

But the new buildings do look good and I can't wait to see how the skyline looks once they're completed.
Here is your answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Baltimore

Old 01-29-2016, 05:54 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,912,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

300 E Pratt

414 Light Street
Have they actually started construction on any of these? It seems like the 414 Light Street was approved (or maybe it was just planned) almost 2 years ago. Why does it take so long for tall buildings to go up in Baltimore? In Chicago, almost immediately after buildings get approval, they go up. I'm sure there is a process, but it seems like they've been talking about these new tall buildings for years and whenever I'm back in the area, the Baltimore skyline still looks the same.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Have they actually started construction on any of these? It seems like the 414 Light Street was approved (or maybe it was just planned) almost 2 years ago. Why does it take so long for tall buildings to go up in Baltimore? In Chicago, almost immediately after buildings get approval, they go up. I'm sure there is a process, but it seems like they've been talking about these new tall buildings for years and whenever I'm back in the area, the Baltimore skyline still looks the same.

Well yes everyone on the skyscrapercity Baltimore development forum is excited about the under armour campus. One forumer replied "its like the day after Christmas." However we must realize that Kevin Plank will build out Port Covington in a matter of phases spanning 2 decades. As far as 414 light street some forumers who know people such as interior designers, etc. working with Questar the buildings development company all say that "the building is definitely happening" and I have seen this twice on that thread from different posts by different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: