Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Reputation: 11467

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
I noticed construction there recently and started researching. I hate to be d!ck contest about it and I get the 500ft+ cost spike, but this project would generate a lot more buzz if it were the actual tallest in the skyline, which it seems to have been shy of by only just a hair. The TransAmerica building is over 40 years old, Baltimore needs a new tallest tower to point to the future.
I agree. Having that one signature tall tower in the skyline, especially with the backdrop of the harbor, would make the skyline amazing and give Baltimore national attention. But you have to take what you can get. I'm just glad they have actually gotten started on a tall building. The proposals for really tall buildings in Baltimore never seem to get off the ground.

I recently read that the moderately tall building planned for 300 Pratt has been put on hold for re-design, and they may now build 2 smaller buildings instead (can't locate the source). It's a shame because the moderately tall building that was being planned would have looked good in the skyline with the new Light street building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Reputation: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree. Having that one signature tall tower in the skyline, especially with the backdrop of the harbor, would make the skyline amazing and give Baltimore national attention. But you have to take what you can get. I'm just glad they have actually gotten started on a tall building. The proposals for really tall buildings in Baltimore never seem to get off the ground.

I recently read that the moderately tall building planned for 300 Pratt has been put on hold for re-design, and they may now build 2 smaller buildings instead (can't locate the source). It's a shame because the moderately tall building that was being planned would have looked good in the skyline with the new Light street building.
I was hoping for that building on Pratt Street too. Now they're saying that they May building a shorter building for now, and add the tower later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2016, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Leafy London
504 posts, read 465,117 times
Reputation: 767
"BALTIMORE TOWER".

But not in Baltimore! Clue: smallest one bed flat $700,000 off plan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2016, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Reputation: 6438
22 story Liberty Harbor East starts construction.

The ground floor of Liberty Harbor East will hold a 50,000-square-foot Whole Foods market and 3,500-square feet of retail. Atop that, 282 apartments and 35 condominiums are planned.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 04:00 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Reputation: 1480
Random question.

Those old rail lines that are still visible along Eden Street, is that part of an old trolley line or a freight railroad spur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Reputation: 6438
New tower proposed for Little Italy:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Random question.

Those old rail lines that are still visible along Eden Street, is that part of an old trolley line or a freight railroad spur?
I think most of the still visible lines were for freight. Those freight lines probably operated later than the trolleys, which shut down in 1962 and earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 07:41 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
22 story Liberty Harbor East starts construction.

The ground floor of Liberty Harbor East will hold a 50,000-square-foot Whole Foods market and 3,500-square feet of retail. Atop that, 282 apartments and 35 condominiums are planned.
There are 4,600 housing units under construction in Baltimore right now. That is chump change compared to DC, Seattle, etc., but it is a lot for Baltimore. I think that level of construction will be enough to finally get some modest population growth in Baltimore... but I'm not sure about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 PM
 
1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Reputation: 1926
Have you looked at the crime rates in Baltimore?
I doubt there are many people foolish enough to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
689 posts, read 1,006,358 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Have you looked at the crime rates in Baltimore?
I doubt there are many people foolish enough to move there.
Every year people move out and people move in. In previous years the number of people moving out was greater than the people moving in. Currently the number of people moving out is not significantly higher for the people moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top