Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM

265 posts, read 509,252 times

Advertisements

Those are crazy. These still won't stop the high murder rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 AM

123 posts, read 203,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Those are crazy. These still won't stop the high murder rates.
Thank YOU

Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
The people that move to Baltimore and move into these new high end development don't care about the murder rate neither do the developers that build it for them. They want their urban living, access to trendy restaurant, bars, and stadiums. Most, will not frequent or set foot in an area that is being impacted by a high number of murders. Yes you can be killed anywhere.. but you rarely hear about a murder of someone from one of the city's favored quarters.. because they are well protected.... The developers are getting sweetheart deals from the City that would rather counterbalance the murder rate narrative with new shining buildings in gated waterfront communities that have their own security, supplemented by 'courtesy officers' supplemented by Baltimore Police. If an unfortunate incident does happen its "all hands on deck" for the BPD and whatever profiled demographic is swept further from the waterfront and reminded.. do what you want to do to each other in your own area but don't bring that nonsense down here... and for the most part the criminals involved in such activities comply.....

Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
My heart is CRYING for the Chesapeake bay and HOPING the city will make sure the sewer and other infrastructure can keep up with the development. MD govt. was CRYING like babies that the Feds are not subsidizing their half-a$$d efforts to clean up the Chesapeake bay; yet with their development choices all they do is damage the waterways.

Is it against these people's religion to build a park? I know that high rises can be a good way to make tons of money, but what about clean air? How about taking care of or restoring the precious natural legacy the natives of this land got taken from them? Only one of the plans looks like it contains any considerable green space...

Shrinking population can be GOOD if you are keeping decent people. The city will be less crowded, and it may be a good opportunity to make the place more livable. Liveable for me means more CLEAN GREEN space, nicer people, less crime and clear water. Who on earth wants to see yet another high rise?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
There are 4,600 housing units under construction in Baltimore right now. That is chump change compared to DC, Seattle, etc., but it is a lot for Baltimore. I think that level of construction will be enough to finally get some modest population growth in Baltimore... but I'm not sure about that.
4,600 units isn't chump change those cities either. Some cities that you think should be higher may be a little lower than Baltimore's current numbers.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
4,600 units isn't chump change those cities either. Some cities that you think should be higher may be a little lower than Baltimore's current numbers.
Yearly building permit numbers in DC and Seattle have been averaging at least double (if not triple or quadruple) Baltimore's. That reflects what boom numbers look like. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 building permit total for Baltimore is as high as 3,000 - after being a little over 2,000 in 2016. DC will almost certainly come in at over 5,000 2017 and Seattle will come in higher than that.

I think permits for Baltimore will peak in 2017 and drop back to 1,500 - 2,500 for 2018-2020. Those are decent numbers but not boom numbers.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
Every year people move out and people move in. In previous years the number of people moving out was greater than the people moving in. Currently the number of people moving out is not significantly higher for the people moving in.
[LEFT]
The population is still slowly declining overall, from what I've heard.
Most people would love to move to the county, but can't find section 8 housing outside the city.
[/LEFT]

Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
They want their urban living, access to trendy restaurant, bars, and stadiums. Most, will not frequent or set foot in an area that is being impacted by a high number of murders.
True for younger folks, but there is no safe area or they get careless and walk down the wrong street. Once they get robbed or mugged or raped they change their minds. I've seen it happen more than once.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Bad news everyone! According to the initial Census estimates, Baltimore City lost 6,738 people last year. Every other major struggling city (or the counties that they are in) also had unusually large population losses. For example, Cook County (Chicago) lost 21,324. Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis are all just as bad. What a turn around of trend in just one year! Did anything important happen in the last year?

Anyway, no amount of construction can counteract domestic out-migration of 11,000. In fact, that out-migration would have been even higher (14,000?) without new housing units being filled.

Also, if you look at housing production, demolition, and population trends, the number of vacant homes should be set to increase by 10,000 between 2015 the end of the decade - which seems hard to believe. And even that number is based on the assumption that 2,000 houses will be demolished per year. Without the demolition, vacancy would be increasing by at 4,000 per year. My numbers are based on an assumption that all increase in vacancy is located in single family homes - which can't actually be true (but should be mostly true.) The number of City Vacant Building Notices was level over the past year.

Anyway, these numbers are nearly as bad as 1990's level population losses and worse that the population losses in the late 1990's. I was around Baltimore during the 1990's, and this doesn't feel the same.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Bad news everyone! According to the initial Census estimates, Baltimore City lost 6,738 people last year. Every other major struggling city (or the counties that they are in) also had unusually large population losses. For example, Cook County (Chicago) lost 21,324. Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis are all just as bad. What a turn around of trend in just one year! Did anything important happen in the last year?

Anyway, no amount of construction can counteract domestic out-migration of 11,000. In fact, that out-migration would have been even higher (14,000?) without new housing units being filled.

Also, if you look at housing production, demolition, and population trends, the number of vacant homes should be set to increase by 10,000 between 2015 the end of the decade - which seems hard to believe. And even that number is based on the assumption that 2,000 houses will be demolished per year. Without the demolition, vacancy would be increasing by at 4,000 per year. My numbers are based on an assumption that all increase in vacancy is located in single family homes - which can't actually be true (but should be mostly true.) The number of City Vacant Building Notices was level over the past year.

Anyway, these numbers are nearly as bad as 1990's level population losses and worse that the population losses in the late 1990's. I was around Baltimore during the 1990's, and this doesn't feel the same.
I'd like to see what part of the city is experiencing the greatest loss, it couldn't very well be a positive loss. It could be early stages of gentrification for some neighborhoods​ causing a net loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: