Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:17 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I think the Mayor has substantial control over many of the boarded up buildings on the west side of downtown because they are owned by the city. The city seems to want the appraised value for the property and is willing to sit on their vacant property until someone is willing to pay the price. If I were in charge, I would be giving incentive payments to developers that can get their rehabs under construction. Once a substantial amount of rehabbing gets going, the city will be in a better position to haggle over price on the remaining buildings. Only the Mayor can make the decision to do something like that.
I never said that the Mayor is not immune to responsibility. But people tend to blame the mayor for everything. For example. the mayor is not going to prevent crime in Baltimore. If Pugh really wants to move forward, we need an Otterbein 2.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 10:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I'm not a ideologue. Idealist maybe, but practical despite. The fact remains that Baltimore is behind in several catagories, even though Baltimore area has become third in start ups. If Baltimore wants to attract a larger tax base, then they must build the infastructure to do so. If they want to compete with the east coast, they must build up on the water front. There is always points to discuss, but people need to put emotions aside and come to terms that the Harbour will further become developed.

Baltimore has not had it easy like other east coast cities. Boston purposely created deeds to keep poor African Americans in the suburbs. Want to see a majority white city, see Boston, it was not accidental. DC has the government as suistainibility. Name another east coast city that lost its complete industry while leaving behind a large poor class? Baltimore has to build and provide infrastructure to create more opportunities.

So unless you have some insightful ideas, be careful what you say. We tend to criticize our politicians for outcomes that they can't control. The more we complain with each other and do nothing, the status quo will continue.

So yes, build the f out of downtown. 1/3 of it is boarded up anyway. Unless you like paying white flight prices in the county, I want a vibrant downtown that's not confined to 10 fn blocks.
I concur with this one.. Baltimore should mirror Industrial Cities like Pittsburgh, and maybe Cincinnati even though the latter is more in the rust belt. Both cities focused more on the transition of the declining Industrial economy/port economy and more IT/Technology economy.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I never said that the Mayor is not immune to responsibility. But people tend to blame the mayor for everything. For example. the mayor is not going to prevent crime in Baltimore. If Pugh really wants to move forward, we need an Otterbein 2.0.
In Otterbein the city sold the buildings it owned for $1 and created a lot of wealth and tax base in the long run. The city seems to be looking for top dollar on the West Side and creating no wealth or tax base so far. So yes, I am critical of the city's policy, and I think it needs to change, and it is well within the purview of the mayor to change it.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:19 PM

3,867 posts, read 3,144,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I think the Mayor has substantial control over many of the boarded up buildings on the west side of downtown because they are owned by the city. The city seems to want the appraised value for the property and is willing to sit on their vacant property until someone is willing to pay the price. If I were in charge, I would be giving incentive payments to developers that can get their rehabs under construction. Once a substantial amount of rehabbing gets going, the city will be in a better position to haggle over price on the remaining buildings. Only the Mayor can make the decision to do something like that.
What happened in Cincinnati was that the Mayor in 2003 created the private non profit real estate development and financial entity 3CDC to combat blight. It is funded primarily by corporations such as Procter and Gamble, Krogers and Macys. Money which would have to been paid in taxes are instead allowed to go directly to 3CDC. This money is used rehab and construct real estate property in Downtown and Over the Rhine. These funds have totaled over $250 million. This and the Streetcar have spurred $825 million in real estate projects in Downtown and Over The Rhine since its inception..

Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
What happened in Cincinnati was that the Mayor in 2003 created the private non profit real estate development and financial entity 3CDC to combat blight. It is funded primarily by corporations such as Procter and Gamble, Krogers and Macys. Money which would have to been paid in taxes are instead allowed to go directly to 3CDC. This money is used rehab and construct real estate property in Downtown and Over the Rhine. These funds have totaled over $250 million. This and the Streetcar have spurred $825 million in real estate projects in Downtown and Over The Rhine since its inception..
That's great for cities that have Fortune 500 companies. Baltimore doesn't. Baltimore has the advantage of owning a lot of real estate with some value. All I'm talking about discounting the value of the property with incentive bonuses.

Say the city owns a building with an appraised value of $500K and the developer wants to pay $50K. The city would agree to give a $450K discount so long as the financing closes on a predetermined date and millions is invested in the property. If the investor can't make the closing date, the city can sell the property to someone else or demand the full appraised value if the developer wants to keep the deal alive.

By the way, as you probably know, the west side of Baltimore's downtown doesn't look totally different than Over the Rhine. Unfortunately for us, Over the Rhine has made a lot more progress over the last 15 years. The west side clearly needs a jump start.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
There are Fortune 500 Companies just outside the City. And people certainly come out here to work at those jobs, and many of them are from.....

Who ever is comparing what Cincinnati did in 2003, to Baltimore now, or then makes no sense.

It has nothing to do with emotion, the city has a quaintness that will be lost with many high rises. Sounds just like what they wanted to do to the city back in the 1950's.

This thread is not making much sense.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:18 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Just in case people didn't know. The Baltimore skyline is about to go through a pretty drastic transformation. Here are the bigger projects that I know of.

414 Light Street 44 story apartment tower

1 Light Street 30 story office tower

Exelon Headquarters at Harborpoint

Four Seasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Those look good. Especially the first 2.
Update on Baltimore skyline. It is funny to look back and see what has actually been or is in progress of being constructed. The first two were the best imo as well, but they were also the buildings I thought would flop. Anyways went around snapped some photos on their prominence in the skyline.

(all pics by me)

Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
I think they are all great additions to the skyline. Hopefully 414 adds a little vibrancy to that side of the harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: