U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:02 PM

11,038 posts, read 20,887,091 times

Advertisements

Just in case people didn't know. The Baltimore skyline is about to go through a pretty drastic transformation. Here are the bigger projects that I know of.

414 Light Street 44 story apartment tower

1 Light Street 30 story office tower

Exelon Headquarters at Harborpoint

Four Seasons

325 West

HarborView

Mechanic Theatre block

State Center

BioPark Tower

Little Italy Tower

Olmstead

700 S Eden St

Federal Hill
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 2,713,491 times
Those look good. Especially the first 2. I have always been curious why Baltimore has never had any large towers (600 ft +) built. Even the smaller southern cities (Charlotte, Nashville, OKC...etc.) have at least 1 large, standout building. During the real estate boom, I would have thought that a city with the population of Baltimore would have gotten one.

Baltimore's skyline has been vertically small for as long as I can remember. I think the tallest building was built in the 70s. It would be nice to spruce up the skyline if they could get at least 1 really tall building, but the first two medium sized ones should at least give the skyline some new life.

The other building looks really nice too. I just wish the city could finally get that one signature skyscraper like other major cities.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,009,566 times
WOW! Thanks for posting. Although, I have to say that the Federal Hill building seems a bit out-of-place.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,190,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Those look good. Especially the first 2. I have always been curious why Baltimore has never had any large towers (600 ft +) built. Even the smaller southern cities (Charlotte, Nashville, OKC...etc.) have at least 1 large, standout building. During the real estate boom, I would have thought that a city with the population of Baltimore would have gotten one.

Baltimore's skyline has been vertically small for as long as I can remember. I think the tallest building was built in the 70s. It would be nice to spruce up the skyline if they could get at least 1 really tall building, but the first two medium sized ones should at least give the skyline some new life.

The other building looks really nice too. I just wish the city could finally get that one signature skyscraper like other major cities.
The developer of 414 Light Street claimed that going over 500 feet would significantly in increase costs per square foot. Of course you can't believe everything a developer says. Still, it appears the lease rate/building cost/land cost continuum is putting 300-500 foot buildings on even the best harbor front sites.

You might want to join all the other people pining for tall buildings on this blog: Baltimore Development News - Page 1695 - SkyscraperCity
Personally, I think solidifying the west side of downtown should be a far higher priority. Baltimore downtown has the potential of being a true 24/7 urban environment but is not quite there yet. If the downtown could jell into something like a smaller version of Philadelphia's Center City, we would have something that less than a dozen US cities have.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 PM

42 posts, read 48,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Something I've always been wondering for awhile is which do you think IS the tallest building in the skyline? My guess when looking at skyline pictures is that it's either the World Trade Tower or Transamerica.

But the new buildings do look good and I can't wait to see how the skyline looks once they're completed.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM

I'm also excited about the 1,600 units planned and nearing final approval in Poppleton SW Baltimore) by La Cite Development. These buildings won't be super tall but will take up 14 acres.

A large building is also planned for the old News American site on Pratt Street. This building is probably years away from construction.

The Planning Department recently claimed that 10,000 housing units were built between 2010-2014 and that 3,400 are currently under construction. Both of those numbers seem a little high to me.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,657,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorjoek View Post
Something I've always been wondering for awhile is which do you think IS the tallest building in the skyline? My guess when looking at skyline pictures is that it's either the World Trade Tower or Transamerica.
This should tell you

List of tallest buildings in Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 PM

781 posts, read 1,055,592 times
They look nice.

Out of curiosity, are all of these private endeavors, or, city brokered deals including tax breaks, incentives, and the like?

Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
They look nice.

Out of curiosity, are all of these private endeavors, or, city brokered deals including tax breaks, incentives, and the like?
It is a mixed bag. Most, if not all, will receive the automatic property tax break for new apartment units. The La Cite project is in a much weaker part of town and it is getting a lot of breaks. Harbor Point has also received massive city help (which makes me pretty unhappy.) I don't think the city is deeply involved with the other projects.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM

781 posts, read 1,055,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
It is a mixed bag. Most, if not all, will receive the automatic property tax break for new apartment units. The La Cite project is in a much weaker part of town and it is getting a lot of breaks. Harbor Point has also received massive city help (which makes me pretty unhappy.) I don't think the city is deeply involved with the other projects.
Thank you, figured it was underlying some of the activity. I'd love to see a side by side comparison of tax breaks and incentives offered to developers building within already stable neighborhoods (or once majority industrial zones such as Harbor East), in comparison to the level of funding and similar offers provided to struggling regions of the City. Or even just a comparison of the level of development.

While I can appreciate the interest in wanting to increase the tax base, recruit new residents, disregarding the elephants that are the large, vast regions of concentrated poverty in the City will make progress just that more difficult. Wish it was a bit more balanced.

La Cite is also benefiting from LIHTC funding too. Hrm. That's after close to a decade long lawsuit with the City, and Baltimore spending millions of dollars buying homes in the Poppleton region. While it's a neighborhood in need no doubt, there's so much historical chaos related to redevelopment and displacement in that area that I am not completely convinced this latest project is going to be a panacea for decades worth of neglect and disregard.

Harbor Point, that's another story. I share your sentiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: