Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:17 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times

Advertisements

*The tragicomedy that is Baltimore politics!

Mfume discusses his plans to run for Mayor of Baltimore

Mfume discusses his plans to run for Mayor of Baltimore

He remains one of the most revered civil rights activists and local politicians in the Baltimore Washington area, with one of the most storied careers of any current or former eleced official in the country. And as of late, the 66-year old Baltimore native has been contemplating a run for an office many local activists had been hoping he'd run for over the past two decades – Mayor of the City of Baltimore.

His decision had nothing to do with adding another chapter to his already storied legacy, which includes having won a city council seat in 1978 by 3-votes, serving in Congress as one of the most outspoken leaders of the Congressional Black Caucus and later becoming the most talked about President and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People of this generation.

Instead, Mfume remains concerned about the direction the city has been headed over the past few years, which is one reason he committed to the candidacy of first-time candidate Marilyn Mosby in 2014. “Having an elected official who serves the interests of every citizen of this city, not just a select few, is vitally important to every resident of Baltimore,” says Mfume. “We need to begin seriously vetting these candidates and getting behind those willing to put self-interests aside for the betterment of our beloved city.”

And so the former WEAA radio veejay once known as 'Pee-Wee' has lately been discussing the possibility of his political comeback with intense sincerity, combing through the failed policies of the current Rawlings-Blake administration in an effort to gear up for a possible showdown with the first-term Mayor. However last month, Mfume received news regarding his family affairs that couldn't be put on hold while he made a 14-21 month run for Mayor (fourteen until the Primaries, 21 until the General Election).

Therefore, Mfume informed his biggest supporters late last week that he would not be getting into the 2016 Mayoral race, disappointed the crowd of largerly African American men who have an innate desire to see someone that looks like them on the second floor of City Hall come next year. So as one supporter moaned, 'the search for true leadership continues' – as the group of distinguished business owners and civil rights activists actively seek to back one of their own in next year's race.

The race is wide-open, but the names are scarce, as it would take a special kind of individual to raise the type of money necessary to challenge an incumbent, not to mention garner both the support of white, black and brown voters citywide. And beyond the obvious choice of former Mayor Sheila Dixon, who even her own loyalists can't figure out if she's going to be in the race or not, there are still a few names being considered by this small yet influential group of men. “We are willing to raise at least $2 million for the right candidate,” says one of the key members of the group. “But it has to be someone we unanimously can get behind.”

The names tossed around since the Mfume announcement last week, beloved local author and national sensation, Wes Moore – who tops their list of candidates who can give Mayor Rawlings-Blake a run for her money. The others: famed attorney Russell Neverdon, Council President Bernard 'Jack' Young, along with city councilmen Carl Stokes and Nick Mosby. Also discussed was the possibility of another powerful black woman, Comptroller Joan Pratt, as well as two white candidates that they expected to be considering such a run if too many blacks jump into the race.

While we would do any and everything to support one of our own as the next Mayor of Baltimore, we will not allow for another 1999 race to happen without having at least some influence in either trying to talk down some of the weaker names considering a run, or getting behind a candidate that may not look like us, but has a track record of supporting our communities and signs onto a promise/agenda that we present to them on behalf of our community,” says the chairman of the group.

However, that seems to be a very last resort, as we will exhaust all possible avenues of African American leaders willing to step up for the betterment of this city.”

And as for now, the name Kweisi Mfume is no longer on that distinguished list. But he plans on being a major part of helping to elect the candidate the group selects, as he says that he reamins commited to the City of Baltimore, and will always be willing to sacrifice for the good of the whole. “We have a lot of work to do in order to get our city to where we need to be,” says Mfume.

And I will offer as much assistance as possible to ensure that not only do we have a Mayor willing to serve the interests of the citizens of this city, but that we have a responsive and dedicated Council President and fourteen members of the Baltimore City Council – all willing to put Baltimore first.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Maybe Marc Steiner will run for Council too

Old 02-10-2015, 07:55 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
I know Buddy Deane is unavailable, but is Kirby Scott still around? Maybe he could join the race.

Or maybe Weasel from WTMD.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 PM

You listen to WTMD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I know Buddy Deane is unavailable, but is Kirby Scott still around? Maybe he could join the race.

Or maybe Weasel from WTMD.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 PM

I'm sure that someone has already put that bug in his ear about running for elected office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe Marc Steiner will run for Council too

Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Wow.. so a group of wealthy influential but anonymous monied African American Males want to see one of their own in the Mayor's Office? Interesting..... Before you jump on my case IH.. let me say that I just wonder why they would define their "group" so narrowly as if men of other races that live in the city dont have those same interests/desires for the City I am sure some women would ask the same question as well....

The comment about "two white people" want to get in the race if they see alot of black people run in order to capitalize on the slip vote (ala Omalley syndrone) completes how bush league Baltimore Politics really is.. Its all about getting elected..not about actually getting something accomplished...

Old 02-10-2015, 05:16 PM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Why does everything have to be about race/skin color???? Doesnt everyone know that putting yourself in a group of only your complexion is what creates racism????? Why create segregation and racism and then turn around and complain about it?????

I have a solution lets all just be AMERICANS and not give a **** about how light or dark your skin is....oh wait that makes too much sense for humanity.......

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
^^^ + 1 I agree!!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 AM

123 posts, read 203,624 times
In the words of the late Mimi Depietro " Quasi Baby"!!!

Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
You listen to WTMD?
Sure.

I listened to Weasel when he was on the original WHFS in Bethesda.

And to Kirby Scott's "Liverpool Hour" on WCAO. Watched his TV show, too.

I remember watching the Buddy Deane Show with my mom while she was ironing. She wasn't that much into the music, but she liked to see the styles the kids on the show were wearing, and she liked Buddy because he was from Arkansas, like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore