Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Carolott,

Stop acting like Columbia Heights was some utopia before the green line. That neighborhood has always been iffy. If anything, the green line has been a boon to the residents living there. Look at all of the development (condos, grocery stores, Tivoli theater, Target, street lights, police presence, increase in property values) thats going on now. Your statement is assinine to suggest that the metro causes crime in DC. Columbia Heights has always had a reputation for drugs and crime. Now things are changing for the better and the metro is a bnig reason for that.
First of all, I didn't live in Columbia Heights. Secondly, when I lived in DC, Columbia Heights was probably one of the (if not the) worst neighborhoods in DC. It was hardly what I would consider a utopia -- I wouldn't have crossed 16th Street unless in a car.

My posts are based on MY experiences, I'm quite clear about that. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,678 times
I have lived in Balto for many years and I am originally from Europe. The transportation system here is useless and pathetic. The transit 'plan' that has been developed and won't be finished for another decade is a sham. The mayor wants to encourage people to move downtown, but it is already a gridlocked nightmare and we have another ten years to go before the red rail line is in place (at least). I am so discouraged about living here (no, it's not just because there isn't a red line) that I am planning on leaving this year. I have given up. See ya!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,237,559 times
One thing not previously mentioned in this thread that is absolutely ridiculous in Baltimore is that the intercity/Greyhound bus terminal is not located downtown and is poorly connected to the local public transit system. Of course, the terminal WAS located downtown (and I think was only a couple blocks from Lexington Market) until mid-2004, when the city in its infinite wisdom wanted to relocate the facility. From what I've read the city wanted to put the terminal near Penn Station, which would have made a lot of sense. Instead, the NIMBY's won out and the stuck the facility down on Russell Street about a mile or so south of M&T Bank Stadium. The light rail runs nearby, but there isn't a stop nearby, and only one MTA bus route stops/passes by the facility.

I could also mention the fact that neither the light rail nor the subway really serve populated areas that well (like the Johns Hopkins campus for example), but that would just be piling on.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,787 times
Light Rail:
Reminds me of the old "Star Trek" (original series) trivia. Some of the pipes in the corridors have the letters "GNDN" stenciled on them... stands for "Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing".
The light rail's sole purpose is to move people for ball games, as they put almost NO parking at the stadiums. Any other purpose is simple convenience. Poorly timed transfers to go across I-83 to Penn Station (I don't ride the Camden Line, I prefer the Penn Line), the waste of having a car do nothing but run back and forth between Mt. Royal and Penn Station? Connects the McCormick business park with what? Nothing. Connects the State Fairgrounds with what? Nothing. Doesn't come within 3 blocks of the "Inner Harbor" because it's more convenient to run it to the 2 stadiums? It doesn't come to within short (1-2 blocks) walking distance of any residential areas. Who's supposed to be riding it? Stopping at ALL stops, even if a stop isn't requested and nobody is waiting to board? Isn't this "RAPID TRANSIT"? High floor cars with steep steps to enter, making it difficult for the elderly, disabled (non-wheelchair bound), and children to board and disembark? Hideous paint scheme that gives no sense of "civic pride". Plain white with a state flag? How boring. Lack of creativity shows.

Subway:
Poorly designed and ugly interiors of the cars that are uncomfortable to sit in. Block zones that stop the trains on super-elevated curves for long periods of time, leaving the occupants sitting at an uncomfortable angle. Operators that constantly exceed the speed limits of the section of track (this is more due to the chopper controls that apply power to the motors, it sets up an acceleration rate rather than an actual speed, so you can never hold one speed) causing the emergency brakes to apply, and then having to wait for the system to reset (my personal record was 12 times in 1 trip from JHH to Owings Mills). No enforcement of the rules on board, leading to loud passengers, food and trash all over the place, and people standing in the doorways delaying the train. Dirty interiors. Overall an unpleasant place to be. No explanation of delays, forcing people off the trains with no explanation given, expecting people to find their own way I suppose (I had an understanding cousin come pick me up to take me the last 2 stops, this was at 5pm, and it wasn't a short-turn train), dirty, poorly-lit stations, schedules that are more of a "consideration" rather than a set time. Come on, you're on a private right-of-way. There's very little reason to be late. Stops that don't connect to the other modes of mass-transit (you have to walk several blocks to get from the subway "Lexington Market" to the light-rail "Lexington Market" stops. They should be on the same set of stairs!!! Some cities even use the same rails for the mixed stops! (Cleveland runs overhead wire AND third rail on their tracks at the main station and the trains just stop at different areas of the platform). Again, a line that comes from nowhere, but does stop at a large medical institution and outside a couple of office buildings downtown. But what traffic is it relieving?

Buses:
Dirty, violent, no safety, no set schedule, no shelters to wait at (just a post with a sign on the side of the road), explanations of delays (2+ hours) are "there was traffic that day". No there wasn't!

And this is the organization that wants to start a new transit line? No thanks, I'll keep my money and dump it in the gas tank instead.
How about this:
Subway- look more to passenger comfort and timeliness of service. Extend the service past JHH towards White Marsh to pick up all the commuters coming in from Harford County. Use a heavy rail system for this rather than light rail so you don't have an unneeded passenger transfer point that just clogs the system.

Light Rail- Realign the right-of-way around Lexington Market to meet up with the subway better. Better signage at least to let people know where to go so they can transfer between the two systems easier. Better yet, PICK ONE RAIL SYSTEM AND STICK TO IT!!! If this means retrofitting the subway with overhead wire, that's fine. Yes, it'll cost money initially, but think of the savings due to a common fleet and ability to "fine tailor" the schedules more (light rail offers more scheduling flexibility than heavy rail). New low-profile cars that allow easier (i.e.- FASTER and SAFER) boarding and disembarkation. Design a better paint scheme for the entire fleet (this goes for subway and buses also)

Buses- Start with improving safety on the buses. Then, better passenger service, to include timeliness and waiting shelters. Or, just scrap the buses and have a major expansion to the light rail system. It has been shown repeatedly that people would rather ride a rail system than buses, even if it is the same route. The system could most likely pay for itself after a few years in service.

Best change that can be made: Get it out of the hands of the state!!!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 AM

689 posts, read 3,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
One thing not previously mentioned in this thread that is absolutely ridiculous in Baltimore is that the intercity/Greyhound bus terminal is not located downtown and is poorly connected to the local public transit system. Of course, the terminal WAS located downtown (and I think was only a couple blocks from Lexington Market) until mid-2004, when the city in its infinite wisdom wanted to relocate the facility. From what I've read the city wanted to put the terminal near Penn Station, which would have made a lot of sense. Instead, the NIMBY's won out and the stuck the facility down on Russell Street about a mile or so south of M&T Bank Stadium. The light rail runs nearby, but there isn't a stop nearby, and only one MTA bus route stops/passes by the facility.

I could also mention the fact that neither the light rail nor the subway really serve populated areas that well (like the Johns Hopkins campus for example), but that would just be piling on.
I never understood why they moved the Greyhound facility. You wouldn't believe how many times in a week I have to explain to someone how to get to the existing facility -- and honestly, the directions are so convoluted, it's a wonder anyone ever arrives there. Unless you're walking there, it's impossible to get there from my side of MLK. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Read something interesting today. In terms of folks who use mass transit to get to work and back, we are ranked 12th in the country for large cities. Sure wish the gov saw that and considers making some improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore