Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

I havn't been there in a very long time so I don't know how it is now-a-days. Safe at night. How far can a person go from inner harbor and still feel safe(if at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
I live right next to the Inner Harbor and am thru there all the time; generally I'd say yes, it is pretty safe. You still have to be street smart though; a neighbor was mugged walking home from work from downtown to SoBo by the Science Center, he was pushed down and broke his elbow in the fall. I personally have never had a problem, but am often traveling thru by bicycle. I woudl avoid the IH during peak times like New Years or July 4th as it is just too crowded and there are knuckle heads. Generally though, the IH is pretty mellow and it is well patrolled - just don't ride a skateboard there!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM

252 posts, read 425,107 times
I don't have issues personally and commute through there at almost all hours 7 days a week. Very well patrolled until ~9PM, afterwards isn't often an issue. I also avoid it on the holidays.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Yes, it's pretty safe in my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I havn't been there in a very long time so I don't know how it is now-a-days. Safe at night. How far can a person go from inner harbor and still feel safe(if at all).

Old 06-04-2015, 08:48 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I live right next to the Inner Harbor and am thru there all the time; generally I'd say yes, it is pretty safe. You still have to be street smart though; a neighbor was mugged walking home from work from downtown to SoBo by the Science Center, he was pushed down and broke his elbow in the fall. I personally have never had a problem, but am often traveling thru by bicycle. I woudl avoid the IH during peak times like New Years or July 4th as it is just too crowded and there are knuckle heads. Generally though, the IH is pretty mellow and it is well patrolled - just don't ride a skateboard there!
It's pretty interesting how you put street smart and mugging in the same sentence!

If someone decides they are going to mug you, what choice are you going to have and esp when they have a weapon. Really the only thing that can help you there are some Jet Li moves, do you have any of those?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
It's pretty interesting how you put street smart and mugging in the same sentence!

If someone decides they are going to mug you, what choice are you going to have and esp when they have a weapon. Really the only thing that can help you there are some Jet Li moves, do you have any of those?
There are measures you can take to make yourself less of a target, like not walking around with your phone out looking like you don't know what's going on or flashing valuables.

Petty criminals often go after the low hanging fruit and the Inner Harbor is generally pretty crowded and full of tourists. If they're going to mug someone, more often than not, there is someone out there that is going to make it easy for them and they are therefore less likely to go after you if you're smart.

Your chances are never zero, but there are certainly ways to reduce them.

In regards to the OP's concern, I agree with what's been said already. The Inner Harbor is generally very safe. I've walked around there at night several times and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't venture too far north into the downtown area at night. While safe during the day, it can get pretty sketchy at night, mostly because there aren't a lot of people around. The Inner Harbor always has people milling about though.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post

There are things to look for, cues. And I've seen them in every major city I've spent time in. So, situational awareness anywhere, everywhere is always a good idea.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
There are things to look for, cues. And I've seen them in every major city I've spent time in. So, situational awareness anywhere, everywhere is always a good idea.
Those are some interesting comments, dogpark. Just about everybody knows the obvious (don't flash the bling, or natter obliviously on your expensive smartphone, or walk down dark deserted streets) but what are the "Hey come mug me" cues, exactly?

This has been the subject of serious objective study because certain people really are just "more muggable."

How muggers size up your walk « Mind Hacks

Studies have shown that it is possible to consciously modify your body movements to signal "less muggable."

How To Avoid An Attack Just By Changing How You Walk, Study.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
There are measures you can take to make yourself less of a target, like not walking around with your phone out looking like you don't know what's going on or flashing valuables.

Petty criminals often go after the low hanging fruit and the Inner Harbor is generally pretty crowded and full of tourists. If they're going to mug someone, more often than not, there is someone out there that is going to make it easy for them and they are therefore less likely to go after you if you're smart.

Your chances are never zero, but there are certainly ways to reduce them.

In regards to the OP's concern, I agree with what's been said already. The Inner Harbor is generally very safe. I've walked around there at night several times and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't venture too far north into the downtown area at night. While safe during the day, it can get pretty sketchy at night, mostly because there aren't a lot of people around. The Inner Harbor always has people milling about though.
I understand this..

But again, if someone makes a decision that they can get something from you, what can you do other than hand it over to them (esp if they have some weapon). I don't entirely agree with the "street smarts" comment. However, consider there are attributes about people that they have entirely no control over at that time (i.e. man/woman, old/young).

I'm fairly certain I can pull 1M different examples of muggings that have occurred where the victims were flashing no "bling" signs and they were mugged, and worse killed!!!!

Last edited by steppinthrax; 06-04-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Those are some interesting comments, dogpark. Just about everybody knows the obvious (don't flash the bling, or natter obliviously on your expensive smartphone, or walk down dark deserted streets) but what are the "Hey come mug me" cues, exactly?

This has been the subject of serious objective study because certain people really are just "more muggable."

How muggers size up your walk « Mind Hacks

Studies have shown that it is possible to consciously modify your body movements to signal "less muggable."

How To Avoid An Attack Just By Changing How You Walk, Study.
Define expensive.

I have my 4 year old gps stolen from my car. It was so outdated, but someone took the risk to steal it. They even left the charger!!! (dumb).

I'm fairly certain this person probably delivers this along with other "mixed value" electronics to someone and get's some cash!!!! How much does it take to buy drugs!!!!

Expensive/cheap is very subjective and depends on the individual judging this????

Last edited by steppinthrax; 06-04-2015 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore