Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,212,920 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, in addition to the package you select, you also get "local" TV stations, i.e., those stations you can get over-the-air for free with an antenna. For the Balto. metro area where there are two TV markets -- Balto. and DC -- within close proximity to each other and where channels from both come in clearly in most locations. Does that mean you get Balto. and DC over-the-air channels, or just one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 04:34 PM

850 posts, read 1,123,377 times
I know you get "The Wire" for free!!!

It comes all inclusive with any property in Baltimore!!!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:00 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,461,989 times
I'm pretty sure you only get on or the other, but you may want to call direct tv or dish to be sure. One trick you might be able to do ,if you're ok with lying and know someone in dc who wouldn't mind, is to get rabbit ear antennas for your Baltimore channels and sign-up with direct tv using a Washington D.C.address. Then you can get both.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I'm pretty sure you only get on or the other, but you may want to call direct tv or dish to be sure. One trick you might be able to do ,if you're ok with lying and know someone in dc who wouldn't mind, is to get rabbit ear antennas for your Baltimore channels and sign-up with direct tv using a Washington D.C.address. Then you can get both.
OK, right now I have a roof antenna which brings in Balto., DC, and even a Pa. station. Cable and fiber optics are unavailable here because there aren't enough people in this valley to support the infrastructure.

What I infer from your response is that satellite can be used for one of the packages + local Balto., and I can use the antenna for local DC. I wasn't aware that you could mix the two modes of delivery -- satellite and over-the-air antenna. Is that what you're saying?

Old 06-07-2015, 02:32 PM

850 posts, read 1,123,377 times
I heard if you plug a TV in the wall (no antenna notting) you get the Wire in crystal clear 4K res without anything.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
OK, right now I have a roof antenna which brings in Balto., DC, and even a Pa. station. Cable and fiber optics are unavailable here because there aren't enough people in this valley to support the infrastructure.

What I infer from your response is that satellite can be used for one of the packages + local Balto., and I can use the antenna for local DC. I wasn't aware that you could mix the two modes of delivery -- satellite and over-the-air antenna. Is that what you're saying?
You have a very good roof antenna, mine only gets Baltimore and I'm still missing one channel (but I'm in the city -- your location may be more ideal). It may be a pain (although I don't see why), but if you have a TV with both a coaxial cable and HDMI/HD component input, then I would use the antenna for the coaxial input and the Dish/DirecTV in the HD part. No matter which satellite provider you choose, neither will be able to compete with your current setup of having three metro area's local channels! [Again, I always tell people that I could be wrong, so I would confirm with the providers.]

Good luck.

Last edited by picardlx; 06-08-2015 at 04:45 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
You have a very good roof antenna, mine only gets Baltimore and I'm still missing one channel (but I'm in the city -- your location may be more ideal). It may be a pain (although I don't see why), but if you have a TV with both a coaxial cable and HDMI/HD component input, then I would use the antenna for the coaxial input and the Dish/DirecTV in the HD part. No matter which satellite provider you choose, neither will be able to compete with your current setup of having three metro area's local channels! [Again, I always tell people that I could be wrong, so I would confirm with the providers.]

Good luck.
OK, thank you.

Always attributed the good reception to being on a hill with farmland on 3 sides but what do I know.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
OK, thank you.

Always attributed the good reception to being on a hill with farmland on 3 sides but what do I know.
If you don't mind me asking (and I don't really know much about antennas), what's your best guess as to how much your antenna costs? Or better yet if you know the brand and model of your antenna? I'm already cable-free (but I always fighting the urge). I think if I had DC, Bmore and Philly local channels -- I probably wouldn't even think twice about Comcast or Dish/DirecTV.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking (and I don't really know much about antennas), what's your best guess as to how much your antenna costs? Or better yet if you know the brand and model of your antenna? I'm already cable-free (but I always fighting the urge). I think if I had DC, Bmore and Philly local channels -- I probably wouldn't even think twice about Comcast or Dish/DirecTV.
The instruction manual for the remote and the rotor controller shows Channel Master, Model 9537, bought 10-20 yrs. ago. from Action Antenna down in Balto. I think it was fairly expensive.

The tech advised me which rotor nos. you set for Balto. vis-à-vis DC, vis-à-vis Lancaster but I never changed it. Just left it where the tech set it.

But you know, reception was good even 40 yrs. ago with the original antenna.

Didn't mean to mislead you but I don't get Philly. Just Channel 8 and 8-2 in Lancaster. Get Baltimore and DC though as well as the 30 series, 30-1 thru 30-6 from China, Japan, and Russia. I think they're relayed from DC or Northern Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore