Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times

Advertisements

That was very touching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I played one season of softball when I was in 6th grade and I was terrible at it, lol!

But, I definitely grew up loving baseball. It's an integral part of my family. I've been going to games since before I could walk. It means a lot to me; it's probably one of the most important things in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Football is a game of WAR!!! It's supposed to be violent! Come on man?!!
I meant the fans IH!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Well, fruit doesn't fall too far from tree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I meant the fans IH!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I am remembering what I like about baseball, the ability to enjoy each and every game for what it is. The same can't really be said for football, every game is so important it is either ectasy or heartbreak and the stress that goes with those stakes. With baseball you can always get 'em the next day.
Yes! Completely agree.

Quote:
I love that baseball is a pastime, we can share it, visit during it, bond over it, families welcome. NFL has become too violent, rowdy and drunk for me - I'll watch casually after the WS, but find baseball much more enjoyable, even MiL, heck - I even stop and watch the social league softball at the park if they are out when I'm walking the dog! I should join a local league myself, but I never had a good arm (spent more time in teh water than any other athletic pursuit, but mostly for fun).
Also completely agree with this. Personally, I can't stand the barbaric nature of football. I've tried many times to get into it (especially since Joe Flacco went to my alma mater), but I just can't. Obviously every sport has its share of fans that are smart and share of fans that are idiots, but I feel like for football the scale tips so much more toward the latter than baseball. Baseball fans are true aficionados of the game. There is nuance to baseball that football just doesn't have. Baseball to me is so beautiful to look at. Football is just a bunch of dudes running into each other.

Quote:
Women who know sports is a sexy attribute to me and I don't follow sports like I used to, but I respect people who do and know what they're talking about.
Quote:
That was very touching!
Thanks! I'm glad that you respect female sports fans because not everyone does. It's really hard to feel like I'm on even footing a lot of the time, even though I know more about baseball than most guys I know. I'm starting to see it slowly come around, though. There was a time when I was younger when I felt like I couldn't buy any Mets merchandise that was made for women that wasn't pink and sparkly. But, it's different now. I can get almost any of the shirts a guy can get, just cut for women.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:28 PM

My beloved Grannie from Scotland was a diehard Redskins fan, first person I ever knew to have a second TV (a 13" B&W when could see from the kitchen since we almost always had family dinner at Grannie's house). She used to bet on games with my uncle and cuss at the TV, She was hilarious! This was back in the 70s and 80s. Football has really seemed to become more violent as players have become bigger and faster, more malicious. I've taken the kids to Ravens preseason games and I do make at least one regular season Ravens game each year, but it is not kid friendly for the most part - wicked expensive with obnoxious drunks everywhere, whereas baseball makes them welcome (my little guy got on the Jumbotron once flexing hsi guns for the Brickbody cam - priceless!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM

LOL!!!! Good game for O's last night against the Mets!!! Hahahahaha! They got lucky!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 AM

There are a few women I know who know more about professional sports than most men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Yes! Completely agree.

Also completely agree with this. Personally, I can't stand the barbaric nature of football. I've tried many times to get into it (especially since Joe Flacco went to my alma mater), but I just can't. Obviously every sport has its share of fans that are smart and share of fans that are idiots, but I feel like for football the scale tips so much more toward the latter than baseball. Baseball fans are true aficionados of the game. There is nuance to baseball that football just doesn't have. Baseball to me is so beautiful to look at. Football is just a bunch of dudes running into each other.

Thanks! I'm glad that you respect female sports fans because not everyone does. It's really hard to feel like I'm on even footing a lot of the time, even though I know more about baseball than most guys I know. I'm starting to see it slowly come around, though. There was a time when I was younger when I felt like I couldn't buy any Mets merchandise that was made for women that wasn't pink and sparkly. But, it's different now. I can get almost any of the shirts a guy can get, just cut for women.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:13 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,561 times
Quote:
My beloved Grannie from Scotland was a diehard Redskins fan, first person I ever knew to have a second TV (a 13" B&W when could see from the kitchen since we almost always had family dinner at Grannie's house). She used to bet on games with my uncle and cuss at the TV, She was hilarious! This was back in the 70s and 80s. Football has really seemed to become more violent as players have become bigger and faster, more malicious. I've taken the kids to Ravens preseason games and I do make at least one regular season Ravens game each year, but it is not kid friendly for the most part - wicked expensive with obnoxious drunks everywhere, whereas baseball makes them welcome (my little guy got on the Jumbotron once flexing hsi guns for the Brickbody cam - priceless!
That's awesome. Your Grannie sounds badass.

But, yeah, that's the other thing about football. It's prohibitively expensive. I'll go to OPACY on $7 student night, thanks.

I love the Brickbody cam! It's one of my favorite things they do.

Quote:
LOL!!!! Good game for O's last night against the Mets!!! Hahahahaha! They got lucky!
I wouldn't say it was luck. I would say the Mets middle relief is seriously subpar. That has become my biggest concern about the team by far. Early in the season, it was the offense. We went out and got some guys in trades and made improvements there. The offense still isn't stellar, but it's good enough given the quality of our starting pitching. We have a reliable 8th inning guy in Clippard (also acquired by trade - I shudder to think where we would be without him) and a pretty good closer, but our middle relief is dreadful. It doesn't bite us that often because our starters can usually go 7 and then we go straight to Clippard and Familia, but if that doesn't happen (as was the case last night) and the game is tight, then the likelihood of the Mets winning is not high.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:03 AM

What happened last night??!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
What happened last night??!
Ouch, 15-2...! My O's are mercurial; Gonzo has not pitched well in his last 4~5 outings. Good thing is, they bounce back, tomorrow is another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore