Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,137 times

Advertisements

Baltimore will continue to lag behind other East Coast cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Is the cancer already burning his brain cells up??!
C'mon man, that was really bad. I favor expanded transit too, but this is too over the top.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 AM

251 posts, read 283,210 times
I do think that if only one had to be built, the Purple Line is the one to choose. That being said, why should only one be built. When will this country get it's head out of its ass about transit? It's not just that the professionals are ahead of the politicians, the general populace now greatly supports transit but politicians still flush money away on useless road projects. Widening 404? Private ramps to the FBI? Are you kidding me?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
"SRB again is handed another Loss.. How much more is she gonna take...."

I think the more appropriate question is how much more are the citizens of Maryland going to take from her?

Just out of curiosity, what other losses was she handed?

Did you really think it was going to be approved? Hogan was against it from day one, and said so a number of times. No urban planner in his right mind would have approved the red line.

No.. in fact I am somewhat glad that it wasnt approved ....IF.. we can have a thoughtful discussion on alternatives such as what the Right Rail Coalition has been proposing.. If he nixed it in favor of identifying more cost effective and viable alternatives..then Im all for it. Better connections with Metro Subway and the existing Light Rail System for one.. Two the use of the same gauge trainsets.. though with 21 century not 20 century(the current light rail) technology could be a start...

the right rail coalition - Home

Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 AM

251 posts, read 283,210 times
I'd be all for that too, but we know he didn't kill it in favor of a better alternative

Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I've been saying this from the start. There is a better way to provide public rail transportation east-west. I think planners got a little too full of themselves and didn't open their ideas up to criticism. This is the inevitable result.

Exactly.. the current, now dead, proposal seemed like it was being politically driven for politics sake and not necessarily what is the best thing for the City, Region or the State... The whole TOD argument was/is laughable because even if you built an apartment building and retail at West Baltimore MARC and there is an east to west transit line there.. Its highly unlikely that folks would move there given the fact that it would simply be an island and most people want to be able to walk to other destinations to shop or recreate while feeling safe... instead of having to jump in a car. You have that in Harbor East, Fells Pt, Canton, Fed Hill, and Mt. Vernon. There would be no place to walk to in a West Baltimore TOD. The other stations on the western side of the City would have even LESS development than the West Baltimore TOD which is already flawed. East of downtown you have Canton.. which is already booming with development so the Red Line is less of a factor. Therefore keeping the cost down and improving its connectivity should be the goal.

I like Right Rails idea of using the Howard Street Corridor as the confluence of rail service and Lex Market as a Transit Center.. Much like Market East in Philadelphia along with Reading Terminal. You would bring together commuters, residents, tourists, and shoppers all in the same facility and reduce what we have now with the negative influence overwhelming the positive ones because they are simply outnumbered. Using Howard Street and existing tracks would allow for multiple types of trains much like in Europe.. with trains going to multimple destinations while using the same tracks.. Where its impractical for that, there is an easy transfer to other trains, buses or on to Metro Subway. Hopefully now the Baltimore City Delegation can work with the MTA and Hogan to salvage elements of the Red Line where it makes sense....

Old 06-26-2015, 09:59 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
My initial thought is that it's shortsighted but, if Gov. Hogan is willing to trade Redline for Maryland Maglev, then I can be happy with his decision. He seem to indicate wanting to bring Maglev to MD on his recent trip to Japan. Sometimes we need to think further out in the future and not just the here and now. Just like when President Obama chose to focus more on Mars than the Moon -- it kinda upset a lot of folks in NASA, but I think we'll be the better for it in the end.
Yeah but once you get off the maglev do you maneuver around the city using the same crappy transit system already there? Why invest in maglev with no infrastructure in place? I think that's the distraction. The maglev will cost way more than $2.6 billion. Hogan is not a transit supporter anyway, he supports roads and bridges. Marc fares went up but tolls went down. Then the unrest. The writing was on the wall. And let's not forget the gas tax went up. In part because I think both the red and purple lines were part of that deal. I mean his tie was purple at the press conference.

Last edited by choccity; 06-26-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,003 times
baltimorebrew.com has a good analysis of the Red Line and its rejection by Hogan.

I'm all in favor of quality mass transit, but it seems the Red Line was fraught with politics and ultimately this plan was not good.

I remember when the DC Metro's red line opened - we rode that first Sunday for free, it was awesome.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
baltimorebrew.com has a good analysis of the Red Line and its rejection by Hogan.

I'm all in favor of quality mass transit, but it seems the Red Line was fraught with politics and ultimately this plan was not good.

I remember when the DC Metro's red line opened - we rode that first Sunday for free, it was awesome.
Rhode Island Ave to Brookland. I remember it well.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Rhode Island Ave to Brookland. I remember it well.
Takoma onward for me. The Red Line cut Mom's commute to work as a legal secretary in half - before it was 2 buses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore