Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,709 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I'm 21 and I've lived in Florida my entire life. I really dislike it and would prefer somewhere more historical with a cooler climate. For a number of reasons, Baltimore really appeals to me. I have quite a few friends who, post graduation (I graduate next month) just kinda up and moved across the country and they're doing pretty well. They didn't even have jobs or places to live for the first few weeks.

Would moving to Baltimore like this (I'd probably live somewhere outside the city since living in it would be very expensive) be incredibly stupid? I understand that the logistics of moving are very complex, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 AM

850 posts, read 1,121,443 times
Baltimore is probably in the worse state that it's ever been in. Since the recent riots and police issues and homicide by Baltimore City Police it's going to take a few decades before it irons all out.

If you just want a cooler climate there are several other areas in the US that are more appealing.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Baltimore is probably in the worse state that it's ever been in. Since the recent riots and police issues and homicide by Baltimore City Police it's going to take a few decades before it irons all out.

If you just want a cooler climate there are several other areas in the US that are more appealing.
Oh, my goodness, you're probably right- I hadn't thought about that.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:59 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,366,289 times
What makes Baltimore appealing to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw12d View Post
Hi there! I'm 21 and I've lived in Florida my entire life. I really dislike it and would prefer somewhere more historical with a cooler climate. For a number of reasons, Baltimore really appeals to me. I have quite a few friends who, post graduation (I graduate next month) just kinda up and moved across the country and they're doing pretty well. They didn't even have jobs or places to live for the first few weeks.

Would moving to Baltimore like this (I'd probably live somewhere outside the city since living in it would be very expensive) be incredibly stupid? I understand that the logistics of moving are very complex, of course.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM

478 posts, read 805,020 times
Quote:
For what reasons do you find Baltimore appealing???

Old 07-08-2015, 02:05 PM

569 posts, read 1,434,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post

OP: Do yourself a favor and heed this person's advice. It's the best you'll get.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,423,366 times
Why would you move to any city just because, thats how people end up homeless and victims of crime. Get a real job first then move to wherever you want.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:59 AM

19 posts, read 22,165 times
Lol , oh my gosh you guys are simple. I understand what everyone concern is but if you do t have new people move in it (Baltimore) won't get any better. I hope you can move up here and pioneer the city. God know the city of Baltimore needs bright minds and a new wave of thinking. This city is a gold mind if you have a investors mind set. I wish you well on whatever you choose to do . Maybe you can make a change up here for the better !

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM

478 posts, read 805,020 times
Quote:
Lol , oh my gosh you guys are simple. I understand what everyone concern is but if you do t have new people move in it (Baltimore) won't get any better. I hope you can move up here and pioneer the city. God know the city of Baltimore needs bright minds and a new wave of thinking. This city is a gold mind if you have a investors mind set. I wish you well on whatever you choose to do . Maybe you can make a change up here for the better !
A few thoughts:

1) There are good investments in every city in the country. The key is knowing your local market: it allows you to find quality buildings at a price that makes sense relative to the cash flow you expect to generate (while accounting for the fact that vacancy/repairs/maintenance etc will all diminish your returns). OP knows nothing about Baltimore, has no local business or real estate network, and would be very vulnerable to being fleeced as an investor (assuming he/she have the cash now to put into real estate or business deals). There are alot of ripoffs masquerading as good deals in a city like Baltimore.

2) Again, why Bmore? It matters, because OP's gonna be living here (or wherever he/she ends up going). It's not just about investment. It's about social life, quality of life, career & educational prospects etc etc. I don't see the point in sacrificing those personal things to try to somehow improve a city hundreds of miles away to which you have no connection at all. Successful pioneers are mostly going to be those who come for a compelling and specific reason, not those just lighting out for the territories without a plan.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:17 AM

675 posts, read 716,342 times
Have you ever considered Pittsburgh ? There is a 5 to 10 difference in temperature ( cooler) and they do get more snow than Baltimore. The housing there is cheaper than Baltimore and there is significantly less crime. It still has a big city feel to it and downtown is very clean. The people there are friendly and there is a demand for people with computer tech backgrounds. It may not have the night life that Baltimore has. Baltimore still has some areas with lower crime rates but housing is terribly expense. Taxes in Maryland are outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: