Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
DC has a very interesting and underrated history, particularly one that's not well-known from the ignorant masses such as yourself who think it's all about the Feds.
It's hard to communicate this way. What I was trying to say is that the two histories are very different, not that DC lacks an interesting history. I should have said "which history is quite different . . . " or something like that. But I indeed meant to say that DC is a gasbag propped-up by the Feds.

I might know more about DC history than you think I do -- one of my cousins (an earlier generation) lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for about eight years . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
It's hard to communicate this way. What I was trying to say is that the two histories are very different, not that DC lacks an interesting history. I should have said "which history is quite different . . . " or something like that. But I indeed meant to say that DC is a gasbag propped-up by the Feds.

I might know more about DC history than you think I do -- one of my cousins (an earlier generation) lived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for about eight years . . .
Don't sweat it man. DC posters on this site get defensive and offended by anything said about DC that doesn't fit into their narrative. I say that as a person who grew up in the area and loves DC.

In my short time on this site, I learned that City Data can be a strange place. In real life nobody stresses this stuff that much

Old 07-14-2015, 12:59 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Don't sweat it man. DC posters on this site get defensive and offended by anything said about DC that doesn't fit into their narrative. I say that as a person who grew up in the area and loves DC.

In my short time on this site, I learned that City Data can be a strange place. In real life nobody stresses this stuff that much
Not really. Only when the ignorant make assumptions and falsehoods on tired ass stereotypes do we go on the offensive. It's only just to put them in their place when they get a little too carried away my man

Old 07-14-2015, 01:34 AM

926 posts, read 1,255,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Not really. Only when the ignorant make assumptions and falsehoods on tired ass stereotypes do we go on the offensive. It's only just to put them in their place when they get a little too carried away my man
But these same assumptions, falsehoods, and stereotypes are made about Baltimore from people who 'know' the history of Baltimore because they watched 'The Wire'.

There's a whole lot of Baltimore natives who know the history of Washington, D.C. They grew up in D.C., have relatives in D.C., work/worked in D.C. and know when and why D.C. went through gentrification in the 90's. D.C's. crime rate in the mid 80's to early 90's led IT to be the 'murder capital'. Gentrification in D.C. intailed handing out housing vouchers to the natives, the poor, the uneducated, the drug addicts, disenfranchised and anything that made it 'chocolate city' and moved those people to the surrounding counties. Federal tax dollars are still subsidizing mortgages and rents for many of those people...and that's a fact.

Understandably, the new natives know not what they think they know about Baltimore but it has always been fascinating when the original natives look down their nose at Baltimore.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
It getscomplicatedd when someone's experience is deemed incredible or a false hood. If someone had bad experiences in the city, who are we to say otherwise?Typically, anybody who pretends that Baltimore is one big ghetto or on the contrary,one big wonderful place should be discredited. This city has more issues than most cities in the country. People who move here either love it or hate it. Racial division here is still prevalent. And with all the issues addressed as nausea.. It costs allot of money to live here. So yes the city is a blessing and a curse, but it's not black or white.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

I say DC posters especially have room to criticize Baltimore since DC used to be way worse than Baltimore during its worst days for a long time. But things not only improved, theres a since of pride in where folks live that you dont really feel in Baltimore. In DC you can tell the working class, honest citizens are taking neighborhoods back. You can tell by the way they starting to keep up their property. I dont get the sense of community in the east west sides of Baltimore, just streets and blocks where people happen to reside.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
According to the Baltimore Sun interactive Homicide map, Baltimore has experienced 115 homicides during the past three months (a rate of 76 per 100,000) That rate is off the charts but also obscures some extraordinary variations among the groups that makes up the Baltimore population. The rate for whites has stayed about normal at 6 per 100,000. The rate for black women has increased to 14 per 100,000. The rate for black men has doubled (from the 2014 rate) to around 200 per 100,000. At this rate, a black male has about a 12% chance of dying of murder. The homicide ratio between black men to women was about 14 to 1 vs. a 3 to 1 ratio for the US as a whole. Overall, the murder rate for blacks was about 35 times that of whites over the past three months.

To me these variations in rates between various groups seem almost impossible. While it is true to say that Baltimore is a dangerous place to live, I suggest that it would be productive to look beyond the citywide totals and look at the at what is going on in the groups with the highest homicide rates.

Last edited by pwduvall; 08-01-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 01:08 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
I love washington d.c.!!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 01:12 PM

286 posts, read 262,512 times
Default look at what those numbers mean.

200 in 100,000 is NOT 12%. it's not even 1%. in fact, it's 1 in 500, so 1/5th of 1%. chance of dying of murder, IF you're dumb enough to stay there and IF things remain the same/dont get a LOT worse. that's per one year. Of course, if you're a grown man there for say, 50 years (active, out there where you're at risk) then the odds are 10%, but hey, the odds are bad if you drive a big truck OTR for a living for 50 years, too. Nothing makes anyone STAY in Baltimore, ya know.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
200 in 100,000 is NOT 12%. it's not even 1%. in fact, it's 1 in 500, so 1/5th of 1%. chance of dying of murder, IF you're dumb enough to stay there and IF things remain the same/dont get a LOT worse. that's per one year. Of course, if you're a grown man there for say, 50 years (active, out there where you're at risk) then the odds are 10%, but hey, the odds are bad if you drive a big truck OTR for a living for 50 years, too. Nothing makes anyone STAY in Baltimore, ya know.
Right, I assumed a 60 year life span for black men in Baltimore. I did make a mistake on black vs. white murder rates. The black murder rate over the last three months was only 17 times the rate for whites. The rate for black men was about 25 times the rate for white men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: