Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You wrote a very nice list. As for #1, where is SRB going, to the lades room or out to lunch? Maybe to her home in a gated community to sit out the next round of Freddy Gray riots? She is not leaving the mayor's office until she gets a higher position in Annapolis or Washington and there is not a snowball's chance in hell of her getting defeated in the next election.
I hope you are wrong and that SRB is handed the stinging demotion that her performance has earned. This town needs a political/bureaucratic enema...enema of the state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
History is really cool.... divers were brought to the Rec Pier in Fells Point yesterday morning to determine the nature of an obstruction of one of the new piles. If you do not know it is being turned into a hotel by Kevin Plank. Anyways they found the obstruction and surfaced with it. It was an old cannon! Plus the 100 and 200 year time capsules/cornerstone found during the Washington Monument restoration.

Nostalgia I feel like every street, building, and place in the city could tell a story almost motion picture worthy if you ask me. Every time I see the old trolley track sticking out of the asphalt it just takes me back to another era before cars ruled the roads and industry was abundant. So far only the gritty side has been capture on the big screen, but maybe one day we'll see the other scenic side. I would like to see a movie of Baltimore set in the mid to late 19th century before the Fire of 1904 when Baltimore was the second leading immigration port behind New York/Ellis Island and many languages were spoken. That would be cool and highly doable as you could film in present day neighborhoods that were already built up during that time and still be able to recognize present day landmarks. The most preserved areas look exactly as they did in the 1800s as they do in the 21st century. It would be cool to see how it was to get a bite at Lexington Market in 1848. You could learn a lot this way about the place you live. Just saying.

Great Architecture the George Peabody Library is referenced many times as one of the worlds greatest library interiors. St. Michael the archangel Ukrainian catholic church makes me feel like I took a one way ticket to the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia. Its absolutely beautiful as well as the other old iconic buildings like City Hall, Bromo Seltzer, 10 Light St., Baltimore Basilica even the Phoenix Tower, and the plentiful beautiful churches of Catholic, Methodist, etc all show the large diversity of people and their beliefs...as well as the row homes, bungalows, mansions, etc. throughout the area.

Its close to everything really love that.

Really have met some cool people. And as we and others have already mentioned the inner harbor is great as well as Camden Yards true gems. Also love all the events that come with it.
Have you seen Barry Levinson's Avalon?

Old 08-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
1.) I'm getting my education at one of the finest medical schools in the world.
2.) Camden Yards is an incredible place to watch a ballgame.
3.) The restaurant scene is awesome.
4.) I can afford to live here comfortably on a graduate student budget.
5.) The National Aquarium.
6.) The Farmer's Market every Sunday morning.
7.) Patterson Park and the fantastic community of people that live here.
8.) Maryland (and the Mid-Atlantic in general, in fact) is craft beer central.
9.) The Book Thing of Baltimore.
10.) Great theater.
11.) Art museums.
12.) Going on long runs along the water and the great running community that exists here.
13.) Going to the Charles Theater to catch a movie.
14.) We have a Shake Shack now. That's a game changer.

I'm sure there's a lot I'm forgetting.
Yeah, me too, but bikes 'cause my ankles and knees don't like running (at 45...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Festivals. Lots of them and they are all fun.
My neighborhood. Love it.
Beaches close by.
Very nice selection of restaurants and bars at all price points.
All the major tours stop here.
The arts scene is rock solid.
Close to DC, Philly and NYC.
Nice sized houses for a fraction of what they'd cost in other East Coast cities.
Quirky people everywhere. I love quirky people.
I get chatted up everywhere I go.
Lots to do with kids.

I'll think of more later.
Quote:
More stuff...

All 4 seasons happen here, like for real
Very, VERY cool museums
Really nice parks. Seriously. So. Many. Parks.
Parts of the city are beautiful
Laid back vibe
Ravens fever is a blast
Every type of black person you'd ever want to meet is within driving distance LOL
Cool free kid events very summer at the Enoch Pratt Libraries
Cool free classes for kids at Morgan State
Did I mention my neighborhood? It rocks beyond belief.

I really like it here.
Bless you Tina, ya make me smile

Old 08-16-2015, 12:29 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
What's something you love about Baltimore?
There is 100 miles plus, a bridge, and a Bay between it and me. Also the folks from there that come here for the weekends, go back.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:34 PM

My Baltimore hit parade:

Funky local music scene, love it! Lafayette Gilchrist, The Mondawmin, Teh Speakers of the House, all the killer guitarists - Todd Miller, Carl Filipiak, good music constantly in the bars in Fells Pt etc, Matt Chase, Mark Hopkins, too many to name - any project with John Deirker in it (love that dude)

Funky dive bars, old man bars, non pretensious, cheap drinks - Mum's, Sidebar, Southside Saloon, Cats Eye, Ledbetters, Cap'n Larry's, Kislings, (and their HOT wings) etc.

Dem O's - the soundtrack of summer, had season tix before private school for the kiddies, got the Sunday game on the radio right now

Riding my bike to work, around the harbor to see/hear/eat/do - even though a couple time a week is a near death experience, I love it. Riding down Fort Ave and around the seawall at Fort McHenry is a favorite short ride - damn that federal sequester that cut the summer hours to 9-6 (used to be 8-8, could work a full day and then get a killer ride in there...Babs - fix this before you sunset!

The Enoch Pratt Free Library - still mad at you guys for bungling the database on what is out and what is returned, but love the selection and Melanie at Light St branch is tops! Lots of kid stuff too, can't say enough good about the library.

Sunrises and sunsets on my roof deck - did the house myself, the view was a bonus, we like to grill and eat up there in warmer weather. We can afford to live here, makes life easier

The Farmer's markets - like a village square every time.

My neighbors - we're all from different backgrounds, but we come together in teh common cause of sharing/working/living/loving in this place.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:39 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Johns Hopkins

The Sunday Farmers' Market under the Bridge!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:03 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,841 times
Quote:
More stuff...

All 4 seasons happen here, like for real
Very, VERY cool museums
Really nice parks. Seriously. So. Many. Parks.
Parts of the city are beautiful
Laid back vibe
Ravens fever is a blast
Every type of black person you'd ever want to meet is within driving distance LOL
Cool free kid events very summer at the Enoch Pratt Libraries
Cool free classes for kids at Morgan State
Did I mention my neighborhood? It rocks beyond belief.

I really like it here.
Yes! Well said Tina.

Give me a blue collar laid back city over a white collar one any day.

I know I already mentioned how much I love my neighborhood (can't toot Patterson Park's horn enough; it's seriously awesome), but one specific thing I love about it is the huge community of dog owners. Because we live so close to a gigantic park, there is obviously a high concentration of dog owners here. I've made so many friends just through having a dog and taking her to the dog park and on long walks through the park. And while there are obviously irresponsible dog owners out there, the vast majority of the dog owners I've come to associate with are kind, conscientious, and just generally awesome people. And I know I have a group of people close by that I can rely on in an emergency, dog-related or otherwise.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:37 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Have you seen Barry Levinson's Avalon?
No I haven't I will have to watch that one day! City College also reminds me of Hogwartz from Harry Potter movies.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 08-16-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 660 times
I'm new to the city. I was really hoping the usual suspects wouldn't show up on this thread to derail. Alas, they came, they saw and proceeded to inject the other usual venom and bile. The constant stream of negativity is bordering on concerning. Who spends this much time online bashing a city they either don't live in anymore or haven't left?

/rant

I love the Inner Harbor, Mount Vernon, the museums, 99.9% of the people here, the proximity to other major cities and I'm sure I'll add more soon.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 AM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
1) Low cost of living for an east coast city.
2) Many outstanding beer bars
3) My neighborhood, Mt Vernon, has very attractive architecture
4) Walking along the Canton/Fells waterfront summer evenings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore