Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,422,588 times

Advertisements

Calvert Hall,

When are you going to discussion the system of white racism supremacy, aggression and repression against people of color in America, that brought all these misdirected quotas, set asides for a population that has had their bodies, minds and souls raped, exploited physically, economically and intellectually?!!

When are you going to delve into the role US government has played in repressive activities (i.e. legislation, policies) that assist keeping Black people poor and impoverished? Awww, I forgot! In the 60's, the US through a few negroe cookies to Blacks (jobs, some access to yt schools, cars and clothes), but, LOLOLOL..those are just bones for Blacks to gnaw on instead of creating and sustaining their own sovereign communities (oh! I forgot we had communities like this..Rosewood, Black Wall Street..but the heavy, jealous hand of yt had to BLOW IT UP out of fear).

Your scientific racist thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yup. Quotas, set asides, lowered expectations in academia and the world of work, double-standard in the reporting and prosecution of hate crimes. And yet crime, STD, and out of wedlocks / single parent rates are greater. The patronizing left has no answer for such phenomena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 06:02 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
Is this fact or imagination?

Not sure what the second part of this diatribe has to do with race relations but ...oops, my bad, another subtle attempt...

Problem with the patronizing left?? Frustrating isn't it? Especially when you can't do a darn thing about it.
Fact or imagination? Reality.

Yeah, the left has a good track record of running cities. Detroit, E. St Lou, Trenton, Camden.

I don't need to do anything about it; I escaped the cesspool. Folks who could do something about it are apparently not bright enough to see it.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Calvert Hall,

When are you going to discussion the system of white racism supremacy, aggression and repression against people of color in America, that brought all these misdirected quotas, set asides for a population that has had their bodies, minds and souls raped, exploited physically, economically and intellectually?!!

When are you going to delve into the role US government has played in repressive activities (i.e. legislation, policies) that assist keeping Black people poor and impoverished? Awww, I forgot! In the 60's, the US through a few negroe cookies to Blacks (jobs, some access to yt schools, cars and clothes), but, LOLOLOL..those are just bones for Blacks to gnaw on instead of creating and sustaining their own sovereign communities (oh! I forgot we had communities like this..Rosewood, Black Wall Street..but the heavy, jealous hand of yt had to BLOW IT UP out of fear).

Your scientific racist thinking....
You need to join the 21st century but I guess when you keep playing the whine card, the left will keep coddling and you reward them with votes thus ensuring continuing life on the plantation.

Vicious cycle.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Calvert Hall,
When are you going to delve into the role US government has played in repressive activities (i.e. legislation, policies) that assist keeping Black people poor and impoverished?
You mean like admitting illegal aliens to flood the job market?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 11,873 times
The sad thing is that Baltimore can be so much more. The architecture of many of the homes and other buildings are besutiful. ...but, we must look beyond the deterioration. This city is famous for "tearing down" instead of embracing it's history and restoring buildings to their original glory. "History is to a city what maps are to geography". West understand the past in order to address the future. This is with anything in life, I believe.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
traffic, parking, taxes, crime, urban blight, panhandling on every corner, corrupt politicians, poverty, children with no place to go or anything to do, I'll stop there.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:41 AM

55 posts, read 68,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Fact or imagination? Reality.

Yeah, the left has a good track record of running cities. Detroit, E. St Lou, Trenton, Camden.

I don't need to do anything about it; I escaped the cesspool. Folks who could do something about it are apparently not bright enough to see it.

Hate to break it to you, but the problems facing these cities have nothing to do with partisan politics and have everything to do with an economy moving into a post-industrial era. It's extremely important that the government (local, state, fed) shift to address that with a focus on education and social services to enhance the former. Standing against these kinds of public services only hinders our ability to compete with emerging countries like China and India in the high tech sector.

The problem isn't with people of color not trying enough. The problem is a system which forces them into cyclical poverty. I encourage you to read Flat Broke with Children: Women in the Age of Welfare Reform to get a better idea of what I'm trying to say.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post
Hate to break it to you, but the problems facing these cities have nothing to do with partisan politics and have everything to do with an economy moving into a post-industrial era. It's extremely important that the government (local, state, fed) shift to address that with a focus on education and social services to enhance the former. Standing against these kinds of public services only hinders our ability to compete with emerging countries like China and India in the high tech sector.

The problem isn't with people of color not trying enough. The problem is a system which forces them into cyclical poverty. I encourage you to read Flat Broke with Children: Women in the Age of Welfare Reform to get a better idea of what I'm trying to say.

Really not interested in reading any more moonbat excusemaking from left wing apologists and social engineers.

That old dog doesn't hunt anymore.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:18 PM

219 posts, read 405,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post

Ok so a lot of what you wrote fits into the standard liberal script about why blacks continue to struggle so much more than everyone else. Here's why you're wrong:

First Point: the problems facing these cities have nothing to do with partisan politics and have everything to do with an economy moving into a post-industrial era.
Response:Baltimore's regional unemployment is better than the national average and has been for several years. The reason people in poor black communities can't get jobs here is because they're unemployable. The city's average SAT score is just around 700, the city has almost half of the State's total ex felons, the drug addiction rate is the highest in the mid Atlantic, and the percentage of single parent households is over 3 times the national average. What we have here is a low social capital environment that can't complete in the job market.

Second Point: It's extremely important that the government (local, state, fed) shift to address that with a focus on education and social services to enhance the former
Response: The city spends more per pupil than any other area in the state and is in the top 10 nationally for per pupil spending within a municipal jurisdiction. Furthermore both the city and the state have been deeply blue for an very long time leading us to be widely considered as one of the most liberal cities in the country. What's really happening here is that we've "discovered" that no amount of government social programs can fix a broken culture filled with low talent individuals who want nothing more than to blame other people for their shortcomings. Building nicer schools for kids that lack intellectual ability, decent parents, and drive will not make them more successful.

While I don't like the idea of completely giving up on these people, we absolutely cannot tolerate them taking us down with them. Law and order must rule the day and ineffectual government spending must be limited to the point where it doesn't hurt overall economic prosperity.

Signed,
A moderate democrat

Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tia1A View Post
The sad thing is that Baltimore can be so much more. The architecture of many of the homes and other buildings are besutiful. ...but, we must look beyond the deterioration. This city is famous for "tearing down" instead of embracing it's history and restoring buildings to their original glory. "History is to a city what maps are to geography". West understand the past in order to address the future. This is with anything in life, I believe.
Actually the city is more famous for preserving historic neighborhoods rather than tearing them down. Also, consider most of the buildings that are scheduled for demolition are the vacant ones in the bad areas that are still standing only because the city cant afford to tear them down all at once. So there is still a chance some architecture could be saved if a miracle happened and turned around those areas that lack investment and gentrification.

1 in 3 Baltimore buildings is on the National Register of Historic Places, more than any other U.S. city.

The city counts about 65 National Register historic districts, with roughly half recognized since 2000
More than 65,000 properties, or roughly one in three buildings in the city, are now listed on the National Register, according to a recent report by the local chapter of the Urban Land Institute and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which examined ways to ease the repurposing of the city's historic buildings. That's more than any other city in the nation, it said.

Baltimore has a distinguished record on preservation and is home to some of the earliest National Register historic districts in the nation, including Fells Point (1969), Federal Hill (1970) and Mount Vernon Place (1971).

Historic Baltimore by the numbers
  • National Register Historic Districts: 66
  • Baltimore City historic districts: 33
  • First National Register District: Fells Point
  • Most recent National Register District: Brewers Hill and Berea-Biddle Street Historic District
  • Baltimore has the most public monuments than any other city per capita in the country.
Washington Monument Restoration(Baltimore)

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 09-24-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore