Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,886 times

Advertisements

Young professional / lower-middle-class family here.

We moved to Baltimore last year and have been throwing our money down the rental toilet. We've found a few places in Waverly that would actually allow us to be homeowners... wow! We've heard a lot of really good things about the neighborhood... lots of actual homeowners, racially diverse (white/black/Hispanic), an actual economy (even if it's lowercase retail). Plus buying in Waverly would allow us to pay Catholic school tuition for our new baby. Right now all we're doing is basically surviving (especially since I was laid off 6mo after we moved here).

But the shootings of late have really bothered us, on Old York and Frisby. I am recovering from PTSD from an armed assault I was the victim of while living in another city. A lot of people tell us that this is uncharacteristic, that the crime is usually crimes of opportunity (car breakins, house breakins) which is the price you pay for living in baltimore city. But we want our child to be safe... but we can't afford Hampden or Baltimore County! Like everything in Baltimore it's a trade-off, isn't it?

Are we being silly for considering Waverly? Or is this a sensible move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:25 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,702 times
The shooting in that neighborhood aren't new, and, unfortunately, they aren't all that uncommon. I used to love that neighborhood, until I knew people that were living there/near there.

Last year it was a little girl that got killed on that block by a stray bullet.

But, of course, your family would improve the area I'm sure. Maybe its to momentum it needs. Maybe not. Do you have anything against buying in NE Baltimore? Safe and cheap still, just stay off Mannasota and Perring Manor.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:32 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysella View Post

We moved to Baltimore last year and have been throwing our money down the rental toilet. We've found a few places in Waverly that would actually allow us to be homeowners... wow! We've heard a lot of really good things about the neighborhood... lots of actual homeowners, racially diverse (white/black/Hispanic), an actual economy (even if it's lowercase retail). Plus buying in Waverly would allow us to pay Catholic school tuition for our new baby. Right now all we're doing is basically surviving (especially since I was laid off 6mo after we moved here).

But the shootings of late have really bothered us, on Old York and Frisby. I am recovering from PTSD from an armed assault I was the victim of while living in another city. A lot of people tell us that this is uncharacteristic, that the crime is usually crimes of opportunity (car breakins, house breakins) which is the price you pay for living in baltimore city. But we want our child to be safe... but we can't afford Hampden or Baltimore County! Like everything in Baltimore it's a trade-off, isn't it?

Old York certainly seems to have its problems right now. Is the house closer to Ellerslie?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:03 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,585 times
What is your budget?

Have you looked at Ednor Gardens? It's northeast of Waverley and a more solid neighborhood that always seems to fly under the radar. Diverse, good number of homeowners and attractive tree-lined blocks of pleasant rowhouses.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:02 AM

62 posts, read 166,819 times
Default Don't do it.

Don't do it. I've been in Baltimore for eight years and I've never thought of Waverly as safe. Good luck to you. It's hard to find safe places that aren't expensive and that also happen to be interesting and fun.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
I live in Waverly!

Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Are you being silly for considering Waverly?
Not really! There are pros and cons to the neighborhood.

This is a tough one because I live not too far from 41st on Greenmount Avenue. My significant other grew up around this area, and has been living here for over 25 years, and she has definitely seen the decline of her neighborhood due to crime, drugs and maladjusted/dysfunctional social behavior exhibited by its residents.

The shootings have increased since April, and now, there is a situation with this BCPD Sgt. spitting on citizens while handcuffed; things may be escalating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysella View Post

Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM

There is a bodega up the block from my house that the Dominicans run on the corner of Old York Rd. and Dumbarton (funny right?!), and kids sling crack and hi-tech marijuana from sun up to sun down, and BCPD practically set up shop watching these kids selling poison to the older residents (it's a SAD scene). Some of these kids are so brazen, they pump drugs right in front of the cops and don't care! Every now and then, police will shake them down to fil quotas..but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Old York certainly seems to have its problems right now. Is the house closer to Ellerslie?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:10 PM

Lower retail outlets are not my thing!

Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,886 times
Thanks for all your input. We saw some really neat houses in Waverly but I think I'm being scared off by the some of the obvious drug interaction I did see... there were a number of liquor stores near the houses and I'm not sure I'd feel safe letting my kids play near those. A number of the houses were near Ellerslie, Old York and Frisby, where there have been shootings. I'm pretty street smart but now that I have a child i have to watch out for her.

I know Lake Walker is supposed to be a decent area, but what about Chinquapin Park-Belvedere (before you get to the Alameda?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore