Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:26 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post
socioeconomics.. yeah OK. what white people cant be poor ? ,or will you just trump that up to "white privilege" as the reason to why the crime rate is low in POOR white areas..
I said nothing about "white privilege" so I have no clue why you're even mentioning that. You're making a ton of assumptions here. Poor White areas have their issues too; being from the South, I'm not very familiar with urban poor White communities (in Atlanta, where I used to live, the working-class White community was practically non-existent) but the issues in, say, Appalachia are well-documented.

Quote:
lol. when all else fails.. pull the race card.
like I said,, black denial
No, you were the one who pulled the race card. I doubt that you even know many Black people on a personal level anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
You did generalize and some of these subsequent statements are false.

Are you from the area? There's been much outcry, going on for YEARS, from the community, i.e. gatherings, protest, rallys in regards to the state of their neighborhoods, schools, the Baltimore Police dept, etc. Because CNN, FOX News and co. doesn't broadcast these types of gatherings doesn't mean it's not happening. Reporting positive from these areas doesn't fit the narrative and if you're black I would think you'd know this. Fear, stereotyping, getting everybody up in arms raises ratings. As a matter in fact, another positive rally/outcry will be happening on Nov 21. Lets see how much national or even local news coverage it gets.

I don't believe a truce was ever met to begin with. You had a couple members posing for the cameras in response to FALSE information coming from the Balt. Police dept. We're not dealing with a rational mindset. Some gang members had an issue with being portrayed negatively. No, it doesn't make sense to me how one could participate in gang activity but have issue w/negative connotations. Keep in mind some younger members are victim of their environments; join or be targeted. I could go on about the gang issue in Balt. but I'll end by saying I am one who is sick of all of them and if it raises the murder rate to 500 so be it because I'll be glad when they finish each other off.

Baltimore police rebuked for `uncorroborated¿ gang threat report on day of Freddie Gray funeral - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Gang Members Say They Never Formed Truce To Hurt Cops
I was born and raised in Baltimore city. I currently live in Woodlawn.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I said nothing about "white privilege" so I have no clue why you're even mentioning that. You're making a ton of assumptions here. Poor White areas have their issues too; being from the South, I'm not very familiar with urban poor White communities (in Atlanta, where I used to live, the working-class White community was practically non-existent) but the issues in, say, Appalachia are well-documented.

No, you were the one who pulled the race card. I doubt that you even know many Black people on a personal level anyway.
I'm in the Atlanta area. Specifically, I'm in the outskirts of metro Atlanta. I've got experience in dealing with both the underclass Blacks and underclass Whites. I've always said that "redneck" culture and "ghetto" culture are more similar to one another than either side likes to admit.

And the comment that you responded to, I can sum it up like this: It was made due to an attitude of arrogance and anger. There was no intention to have an intellectual discourse, an intelligent conversation with actual solutions. Instead, it was a one-liner used to vent one's anger.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post
socioeconomics.. yeah OK. what white people cant be poor ? ,or will you just trump that up to "white privilege" as the reason to why the crime rate is low in POOR white areas..

lol. when all else fails.. pull the race card.
like I said,, black denial
This right here is a perfect example of erratic sensationalism

Old 11-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm in the Atlanta area. Specifically, I'm in the outskirts of metro Atlanta. I've got experience in dealing with both the underclass Blacks and underclass Whites. I've always said that "redneck" culture and "ghetto" culture are more similar to one another than either side likes to admit.
Yep! I think it's probably more true in the South where Blacks and Whites have rubbed shoulders with each other in both urban and rural areas for generations.

Quote:
And the comment that you responded to, I can sum it up like this: It was made due to an attitude of arrogance and anger. There was no intention to have an intellectual discourse, an intelligent conversation with actual solutions. Instead, it was a one-liner used to vent one's anger.
You're spot on; that's why I didn't even go into much depth with my responses.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:18 AM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Yep! I think it's probably more true in the South where Blacks and Whites have rubbed shoulders with each other in both urban and rural areas for generations.
Depends on where you go. I suspect what you mention might apply very well in southern Georgia or central Georgia.

The county I live, it was around 95% White until around 2000. It had a large redneck contingency. More Blacks started moving there. Many were middle class residents looking for more bang for their dollar in terms of housing. One reason many Whites moved out there as well. Cheap land, more home for the dollar.

Some were underclass types. I looked at many things. Even where Blacks and Whites didn't really interact all that much, certain tenants among those who embodied "ghetto culture" could be found in "redneck culture". Violence, self-destructive behavior, a disdain for intellectual pursuits and education, teenage pregnancy, drug use,etc.

With this, I also much mention there is a big difference between being a southerner, a country person, and a "redneck". Big difference between the three. One reason "redneck" gets mixed up with the other two. It's about how one carries themselves.

Quote:
You're spot on; that's why I didn't even go into much depth with my responses.
Something like that, I have to wonder what is in the minds of said persons. I've dealt with people who were just that crazy. Rather than discuss things in a rational, intelligent manner, one would rather resort to petulant, histrionic ways.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
This thread has gone way off topic, and I've played a part in it's derailment, and for that, I apologize.

Getting back on topic, one issue that hasn't been noted yet is food deserts in some areas in the city. There aren't many options in many of the neighboods that we're discussing. Many neighborhoods rely on corner stores for grocery shopping, and we all know that there aren't many healthy options in corner stores. There's a Shoppers at Mondawin, but nothing else within a few miles of it.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I'm told that blacks in Prince George's County consider Baltimore very low class and a real status killer. Years ago I talked I talked to a black federal bureaucrat who lived in a beautiful house on Mount Royal Terrace. He told me that his co-workers told him that his home choice would hurt his career prospects. Do you really want to take a chance on losing out on a promotion just so that you can live in Baltimore?
Although I am not from Baltimore, I attended Morgan State back in the late 80s and still frequent the area. Growing up I never heard anything about Baltimore, but when I arrived there for college in 1985 I had no idea how dangerous it was down there. I felt much safer in crack-era NYC than in Baltimore, and this is coming from the hood in S. Jamaica Queens. Also all the people I met from PG County and DC looked down on Baltimore, even though DC had murder capital status back in the late 80s.

It's sad that nowadays, blacks in PG County which has turned into a disaster still looks down on Baltimore instead of recognizing the wealth-building opportunities that lie within that city. Most "middle-class" blacks (myself included) are not really that far removed from the brothas and sistas in the hood, so we need to remain humble. Also too many "middle class" blacks sit back and seek validation from whites before we venture into certain opportunities and areas, this is why we miss out on $$$ in gentrified area like Harlem, Bed-Stuy and other "hot" areas in the major cities around the country.

We need to start playing Chess, instead of Checkers...stop making financial decisions based on our insecurities, instead of ROIs. If not them we will continue to sit on the sidelines, and complain when the neighborhood we deserted and shunned becomes way too expensive for us to afford.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
We need to start playing Chess, instead of Checkers...stop making financial decisions based on our insecurities, instead of ROIs. If not them we will continue to sit on the sidelines, and complain when the neighborhood we deserted and shunned becomes way too expensive for us to afford.
I hear you, but can you blame us for our apprehension? We played it "safe" and saw much of our collective wealth, most of which was tied up in our homes, wiped out by the Great Recession, so our aversion to risk is probably quadrupled now.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:06 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,324 times
Quote:
I hear you, but can you blame us for our apprehension? We played it "safe" and saw much of our collective wealth, most of which was tied up in our homes, wiped out by the Great Recession, so our aversion to risk is probably quadrupled now.
I understand about the apprehension. Also there is a difference between wanting to live in a safe neighborhood (which is logical), and looking down on those of us who are less fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore