Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 11:00 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times

Advertisements

Any insights or warnings or tips about these areas?
Hampden, Mt Washington, Roland Park, Park Heights, Woodberry
Or also Cold Springs, Evergreen, Wyndhurst, or Cross Keys?

A friend is starting a new job near the TV Hill area, 41st and Druid Park Dr. and wants to live as close as possible. I don't know Baltimore so I thought I'd ask here.

He's in his mid 50s -- white collar educated professional. Who has owned a house is the past, but now just wants to rent. He SAYS he wants to go cheap. But I'm trying to convinced him not to go TOO cheap, because he's used to being in a house -- and even though he wants the ease and convenience of an apartment. I don't think he'll be happy…taking his laundry to the laundry mat, and parking on the street.

So I'm trying to talk him into apartments with SOME amenities: at least off street parking, and W/D IN UNIT, as a minimum.

The one person I know who is from Baltimore said she wouldn't rent in the city at all -- to try to get him to just rent outside of the city, north of Northern Parkway. But so far with no real research done he says he's looking at the Hampden area.

He's relocating from the west and will be in a hotel for a few weeks until he's settled.
Any general advice?

I've done some research for him….I think renting a condo from a condo owner might be something to consider, versus an "apartment complex." Or studio in a better building… vs. 2 BR in a dump. Whatever and wherever he decides. I just don't think he'll be happy at his age, if the neighborhood or complex is not up to what he's been used to.

Thanks for the help.
Not necessarily specific names…but tips, warnings etc about certain areas.

Last edited by selhars; 11-22-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:48 PM

189 posts, read 153,343 times
park heights. he'll love it.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,808,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post
park heights. he'll love it.
That's mean. LOL

OP, Park Heights is one of the most high crime areas of Baltimore. Everything else on that list is fine, including Hampton which sounds ideal because it will be close to your friend's work.

Tell him to visit any area he's considering a night to get a feel for what it's really like.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Don't forget Medfield. There is a reasonably priced apartment/condo building on La Plata Ave. that might work.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
That's OK Tinawina, I knew better.

I told my co-woker who's from Baltimore about JackParow's comment about Park Heights and she laughed.

I posted to get additional HELPFUL opinions, to see if they mesh with what she's said and recommended.
And she said don't live in the city -- AT ALL…. and said not Park Heights south of Northern Parkway. So I knew JackParow's comment was bovine manure.

I would never recommend anyone live in the city at all either. So I'm going to push my friend in that direction.
I'd work in the city and get the heck out…come in, make my money, and leave.

BUT If my friend is absolutely set on being in the city I want the best close neighborhoods to recommend from the areas I listed. I'm going to push him toward a luxury place with off street parking….better a studio in a luxury building….than a 2 BR in a dump. Some places I've seen have laundry in the building, and not in the apartment. I just don't see how a person could go from having their own home and a parking garage…..back to schlepping laundry to a laundry area, and using coin operated machines that everyone else uses…and street parking and the risk of a break in.

It's a shame JackParow chose to waste his time posting such BS. But it was his/her time to waste…so whatever.

Last edited by selhars; 11-23-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,487 times
if he wants to rent, he might look at elkridge estates apartments, off lake ave, near roland ave. it is an complex, older, very treed, private, on the edge of mt. Washington and roland park. they are garden apts. on beautiful, well kept grounds, and are very close to Falls rd. Charles st, and #83 (jones falls expressway). apartments have large balconies, pool on the grounds, and a very spacious feel.

they have been there a long time and are in good condition, I hear from a friend, but they do not have bells and whistles of newer communities. in my view, you could not have a better location- in the county,barely, but close to city, amenities, but quiet.

I lived in balto. for over 50 years- grew up there- and lived in this area for ten years. I have been gone for 12+ years but still return fairly often to visit friends there.

catsy girl

Old 11-23-2015, 08:19 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,735 times
You may want to check out Upper Park Heights since their are allot of apartment complexes alongside Park Heights Ave. It's also a majority Jewish population so it is considered a very safe area. Being in his mid 50's and not used to the city, I would shy away from Hampden or Woodberry. I am not sure of the budget but Roland Park may be too expensive (but ideal). Cross Keys would also be ideal so do check it out. Evergreen and Wyndhurst I do not believe have apartments but a few large home rent outs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore